Subject: N 4252 - Project Editor's Report for PL/I

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:10:29 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4252

TITLE: Project Editor's Report for PL/I

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2007-08-08 

SOURCE: 
Project Editor (J. Klensin)

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Officer's Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: 
This document is circulated for review and consideration.  It will be
discussed at the September 2007 SC 22 Plenary under agenda item 9.7.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
ACT

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
text

CROSS REFERENCE: 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
def

Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Sally Seitz 
ANSI 
11 West 42nd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4918 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked]
_______________________________end of cover sheet, beginning of
document___________________________________
------------
Project editor's report, projects 97.22.5 and 97.22.6, PL/I

Project 97.22.5:  Revision of ISO/IEC 6160 "Programming Language PL/I"

Existing standard.  No activities or requests for additions or
clarifications during the last year or, indeed, the last decade.  Both
ISO 6160 and the underlying US national document, ANS X3.53-1976, have
been reaffirmed multiple times.  We expect to move to stabilize the US
standard within the next year and recommend the International Standard
be moved to stabilized status on more or less the same schedule.

Project 97.22.6:  ISO/IEC 6522 "General Purpose PL/I"

Existing standard.  No requests for clarifications or extensions in
the last year or, indeed, the last decade.  Both ISO/IEC 6522 and the
corresponding US national document, ANSI X3.74-1987 (they differ in
title and introductory material, but not substantively) have been
reaffirmed multiple times.  The language defined by this standard is
still in active use in many locations and the availability of the
Standard continues to be of use in procurements and in assessing
conformance and interoperability.  We expect to move to stabilize the
US standard within the next year and recommend the International
Standard be moved to stabilized status on more or less the same
schedule.

ISO/IEC 6522 depends on ISO/IEC 6160; both should be stabilized at the
same time.

Respectfully submitted,
John C Klensin
PL/I Project Editor

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
American National Standards Institute
25 West 43rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Tel: 212 642 4918
Fax: 212 840 2298