Subject: SC22 N2487 - Proposed Revised WG15 Synchronization Plan - Plenary Action

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 17:47:22 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page _____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2487

June 1997

TITLE:
Proposed Revised WG15 Synchronization Plan

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that approval of this Plan will be on the agenda for action at
the August 1997 C22 Plenary.

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

ACTION:
To Sc22 Member Bodies for review and action.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________end of title page; beginning of text _____________

      JTC1/SC22/WG15-IEEE CS PASC (POSIX) Synchronization Plan (1997)

Introduction

In ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 N729 Resolution 110, SC22 instructs conveners
that a synchronization plan as described in SC22 N730, be developed by
all SC22 working groups, where national bodies are doing development
work under an SC22 Administrative resolution. JTC1/SC22/WG15 (POSIX)
[referred to below as WG15]; is operating under such terms in
conjunction with the U.S. Standards Development Organization: IEEE
Computer Society Portable Applications Standards Committee[referred to
below as PASC, and previously part of TCOS]. The review and approval
for this plan is as follows: This version is in response to the new
JTC1 concept of "Final CD".

             PASC Sponsor Executive       N
                          Committee

          IEEE Computer Society SAB       N

                               WG15       N720, N733, resolution 97-

                               SC22       N

Objectives:

     To use the same text for relevant standards, at each stage of
     development, and for final adoption.
     To gain the greatest possible consensus.

Plan:

1. Availability of Working Documents

     The following steps are being taken by PASC-SEC in document
     distribution:

     1.1. WG15 heads of delegation are included on any PASC-SEC electronic
     document distribution lists they select at no charge; and they may
     duplicate and distribute this information for national body
     evaluation. All draft documents will be made available though this
     channel.

     1.2. Mature draft documents will also be distributed for review and
     comment within WG15, and prior to a request for CD registration, the
     US national body will have a draft distributed to SC22 for review and
     comment.

     1.3 Any individual in the international community can participate in
     the IEEE CS PASC Standards work: attending meetings, receiving
     mailings obtain online access, or (if the individual is an IEEE or
     Computer Society member) participating in the balloting group. Minimal
     fees are associated with these forms of participation.

2. Processing stages up to final adoption

     The relevant processing stages prior to balloting in IEEE are as
     follows:

          1) Approval of a Project Authorization Request ("PAR") by the
          IEEE

          2) Technical working group meetings and document development

          3) Submission of the draft document for balloting

     2.1 The following steps are being taken by PASC-SEC:

          2.1.1 Distribution of overall PASC-SEC project status information
          to WG15, which provides visibility into new work areas, including
          those outside of the current scope of WG15.

          2.1.1.1 IEEE Project Authorization Requests (PARs) proposing new
          or revised work areas within POSIX shall be distributed to WG15
          for review and comment.

          2.1.2 Use of the format approved by ITTF for draft documents.

          2.1.3 Encourage common membership between WG15 and the PASC
          working groups.

          2.1.4 Encourage holding of occasional PASC Standards meetings
          outside of the US mainland.

     2.2 The following steps have been taken by WG15:

          2.2.1 The WG15 Convener has initiated regular status reports on
          WG15 work for SC22 (as requested by SC22 N729 resolution 139).

          2.2.2 Division of Work Item was submitted to clarify the
          organization of work within the scope of WG15 (Approved by SC22,
          N729 resolution 136).

          2.2.3 Ongoing encouragement of participation by individuals in
          IEEE PASC development work.

          2.2.4 WG15 encourages participation by PASC technical experts in
          WG15 editing/ballot resolution meetings.

          2.2.5 Early working draft distribution (1.1)
          Review and comment distribution in WG15 and SC22 (1.2) of at
          least 3 months is essential to verify that the work of PASC will
          result in a document that can be readily accepted for balloting
          in SC22.

          Member body feedback at this stage is most important, as the
          "final CD" process calls for technical comment and review to take
          place earlier in the development cycle.

3. Synchronization of balloting periods

     The PASC Chair (chair of PASC-SEC) has the authority to delay steps in
     the IEEE balloting process. This is being used to force
     synchronization with ISO approval as follows:

          3.1. For new documents and revisions (CD-DIS-IS path):3.1.0 IEEE
          'ballot group formation' invitations shall be distributed to WG15
          (in both paper and email form if expedient to do so) to ensure
          that WG15 Member Bodies are aware that an IEEE draft is about to
          enter this phase.

          3.1.1. The IEEE balloting period is started when the document is
          ready for broad comment; at this time this draft document will be
          forwarded to SC22 for CD registration ballot. SC22 Member bodies
          are expected to submit technical comments at this point in time
          to WG15, as well as recommendations with respect to "final CD"
          registration..

          3.1.2. The U.S. will recommend, to WG15, for CD Ballot, a
          document draft which includes revisions resulting from a draft
          circulated for IEEE balloting and the CD registration ballot
          comments. The project editor should indicate when "Final CD" may
          not be appropriate.

          3.1.3. The international comments on the CD registration and
          ballot are fed into the IEEE balloting process; and IEEE
          recommendations for changes are fed into the CD ballot process as
          comments from the US national body. Substantive changes in
          response to these comments may result in multiple "Final CD"
          ballots.

          3.1.4. The IEEE final approval is delayed until a disposition of
          comments satisfactory to WG15 can be developed that will permit
          an updated "Final CD" to be registered as a DIS. Once WG15 has
          made this agreement the same document is forwarded for IEEE
          approval. (This assumes that IEEE will reach 75% before WG15 has
          completed its part... which might not always be the case.)

          3.1.5.. With the "Final CD" process, changes are not allowed at
          the DIS level, so concurrent publication by IEEE and ISO is
          appropriate. Corrections after "Final CD" need to be addressed as
          "Technical Corrigenda".

     3.2. For Amendments, the approval sequence remains PDAM registration>
     (F)PDAM=>DAM=>AMD, but with a focused scope in the divided WI or NP.

          3.2.1. Common sense leads to limitations on the number of
          amendments that can be handled independent of the main document.
          Most of the amendments expected for 9945 will be in the form of
          extended functions and new clauses. WG15 has proposed the
          following approach:

               3.2.1.1. Proceed through the PDAM ballot process component
               so that timely review and comment can be obtained.

               3.2.1.2. Combine approved PDAM level documents that affect
               the same part of IS 9945 into a single DAM amendment ballot
               where this can consolidate amendments proposed within a
               small window of time.

          3.2.2. PASC will synchronize IEEE balloting periods with the PDAM
          registration & PDAM ballot process for amendments as in 3.1
          above.

4.0 Interpretations / Defect Report Handling

     4.1 The PASC Interpretations Vice Chair will forward Interpretations
     through the US national body (via the appropriate TAG) as defect
     reports to the appropriate WG Convener (see ISO/IEC form 14).

     4.2 Defect reports received by WG15 Convener are distributed to all
     participating National bodies with a request to the U.S. to provide a
     proposed response. WG experts are invited to participate in the
     applicable PASC interpretations committee.

     4.3 The WG15 defect report log will use the same numbering sequence as
     the IEEE PASC interpretations log

     4.4 The IEEE interpretations committee will forward a response through
     the US National Body to WG15 as a proposed resolution.

     4.5 Interpretation responses approved by WG15 will be notified to the
     initiator of the defect report by the WG15 Convener, and by the VC
     interpretations for IEEE PASC if it was submitted though IEEE
     initially.

     4.6 Technical Corrigenda and Record of Response

          4.6.1 Interpretations responses that do not require substantive
          changes to the document will be incorporated into a Record of
          Response which will be forwarded for SC22 action on a periodic
          basis, and to the IEEE for publication as an Interpretations
          document.

          4.6.2 Interpretations that do require substantive changes will be
          incorporated into a Technical Corrigenda for SC22 approval, and
          concurrent balloting as a focused amendment in the IEEE process
          so that a single document is approved by both organizations.

___________________-end of document SC22 N2487 _______________________