Subject: SC22 N2485 - WG14 Business Plan/Convener's Report for Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 17:00:39 -0400 (EDT)

___________________beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2485

TITLE:
WG14 Business Plan and WG14 Convener's Report for the August 1997 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that consideration of this Report and Business Plan will be an
agenda item for the August 1997 SC22 Plenary.

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Convener's Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for review.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________________end of title page; beginning of report _____________

                  Business Plan and Convener's Report
          ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG14 (The Programming Language C)

  PERIOD COVERED:
     June 1996 - May 1997
  
  SUBMTTED BY:
     Convener, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG14
     John Benito
     Perennial, Inc.
     3004 Mission Street #130
     Santa Cruz, CA 95060
     Phone: +1 408 748 2900
     Fax:   +1 408 457 3916
     Email: [email-masked]
  
  1. Management Summary

     1.1. JTC1/SC22/WG14 STATEMENT OF SCOPE
          Development and maintenance of ISO/IEC Standards related to the 
	  programming language C.

     1.2. PROJECT REPORT

          1.2.1.    COMPLETED PROJECTS

          None over this period.

          1.2.2.    PROJECTS UNDERWAY

          JTC1.22.20.01 - Programming Language C (Revision of ISO/IEC 9899:1990)
          
          JTC1/SC22 N2444 was submitted to SC22 for CD Registration ballot on 
	  April 97, this ballot will close July 1997.

          1.2.3.    CANCELLED PROJECTS 
	  
	  None over this period.

          1.2.4.    COOPERATION and COMPETITION

          Where appropriate, WG14 has established active liaisons with other 
	  SC22 working groups.  There is no apparent direct competition with 
	  any other current SC22 working group.
          
  2. PEROID REVIEW

     2.1. MARKET REQUIREMENTS

     WG14 feels that it is responding to user community pressure and to 
     implementers concerns to revise the ISO/IEC 9899 standard to keep 
     current with today's programming trends and market. The Committee 
     believes that evolution of Object Oriented programming, numerical 
     extensions that were proposed by J11.1, internationalization, 
     advancements in character set standardization, cross-language 
     standards and cross-language bindings all need to be considered 
     in the revised standard.  Most of these issues where not considered 
     during the technical discussions for the current ISO C Standard.
     Please, see document ISO/IEC JCT 1/SC22 N2265  Charter for the 
     Revision of the C Standard .  

     2.2. ACHIEVEMENTS

     WG14 produced the N2444 for CD Registration Ballot.  WG14 also worked 
     on Defect Reports, keeping the Defect Report Log current.

     2.3. RESOURCES

     WG14 meets three times per year in co-located technical sessions 
     with the US committee J11.  Nine countries participate by attending 
     these meetings or by being involved in the technical discussions that 
     take place over the reflector.  The countries are: Australia, Canada, 
     Denmark, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, Sweden, UK, and the USA.
     
     WG14 has been monitoring the cross-language standards activities, and 
     are using the ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG20 guidelines on extended characters.  
     WG14 has also keep apprised of the requirements of the LIA-1,2 standards.
     No explicit binding has been produced.
     
     WG14 liaison appointments are:
     
     WG11      Language Independent Datatypes          Keld Simonsen
     WG15      Posix                                   Keld Simonsen
     WG20      Internationalization                    Keld Simonsen
     WG21      C++                                     John Benito

  3. FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD

     During the next work period, WG14 will focus on moving the Working Paper
     through the final CD Ballot.  Resolving all Public comments, reaching 
     the DIS stage of the project.

     3.1. DELIVERABLES

     WG14 anticipates that CD 9899 will be approved, moving to the next stage 
     in the standards process.

     3.2. STRATEGIES

     WG14 believes that routine handling will suffice to complete the progress 
     desired.

     3.3. RISKS

     No problems are anticipated.

     3.4. OPPORTUNITIES

     None.

     3.5. WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES

     WG14 will concentrate on the revision of 9899, however WG14 will still 
     respond to Defect Report logged for the current ISO/IEC 9899:1990 Standard.

  4. OTHER ITEMS

     4.1. POSSIBLE ACTION REQUESTS AT FORTHCOMING PLENARY

     None currently.

     4.2. APPOINTMENT OF NEW CONVENER

     At the last SC22 Plenary in London, September 1996, John Benito (USA) was 
     appointed the new convener of WG14.  He follows Dr. P. J. Plauger (USA) 
     who was the first convener of WG14.

     4.3. PROJECT EDITORS

     The following individuals have been appointed project editors and backup 
     project editors:
     
     JTC1.22.20.01 Programming Language C (Revision of ISO/IEC 9899:1990)
        Frank Farance (Project Editor), David Keaton (Backup Project Editor)

     4.4. ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

     WG14 has conducted much of its detailed technical discussion using 
     email reflector provided by the Danish UNIX Users Group and Keld 
     Simonsen.
     
     WG14 also has an ftp and Web site provided by courtesy of David Keaton, 
     with a mirror site provided by the Danish UNIX Users Group and 
     Keld Simonsen.

     4.5. RECENT MEETINGS

     24-28 Jun 96     Amsterdam, Netherlands   NNI, University of Amsterdam
     21-25 Oct 96     Toronto, Canada          SCC, IBM
     10-14 Feb 97     Kona, Hawaii             ANSI, Plum Hall
     
     4.6. FUTURE MEETINGS

     23-27 Jun 97     London, UK               BSI
     27-31 Oct 97     San Francisco, USA       ANSI, Sun Microsystems
     02-06 Feb 98     Colorado, USA            ANSI, David Keaton

__________________end of SC22 N2485 __________________________________