Subject: SC22 N2483 - WG21 Business Plan and Conveners Report for Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 13:09:13 -0400 (EDT)

___________________beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2483

June 1997

TITLE:
WG21 Business Plan and WG21 Convener's Report for the August 1997 
JTC1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that consideration of this Report and Business Plan will be an
agenda item for the August 1997 SC22 Plenary.

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Convener's Report

ACTION
To SC22 Member Bodies for review.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________end of title page; beginning of text ____________________

      Business Plan and Convener's Report
      ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG21 (C++)

PERIOD COVERED: 
June 1996 - May 1997

SUBMITTED BY: 
Convener, SC22/WG21
Thomas Plum
Plum Hall Inc
3 Waihona Box 44610
Kamuela HI 96743
email: [email-masked]
tel: +1-808-882-1255
fax: +1-808-882-1556

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 JTC1/SC22/WG21 STATEMENT OF SCOPE 

Development of ISO/IEC Standards related to the programming language
C++.

1.2 PROJECTS UNDERWAY 

JTC1.22.32 - Programming Language C++

  CD 14882 was submitted to SC22 for CD ballot in December 1996.
  It is hoped that the ballot results will be available before the
  July 1997 meeting.

2.0 PERIOD REVIEW 

2.1 MARKET REQUIREMENTS 

WG21 believes that well in excess of one million people are programming
in C++, and that this marketplace is very eager for the ISO C++
Standard to be completed.

2.2 ACHIEVEMENTS 

The C++ CD was ballotted  between May 28 and September 28, 1995 (CD
14882, SC22/N1824).  Ballot responses included a large number of
substantive comments. WG21 spent three meetings (November 1995, March
1996, and July 1996) resolving the comments, and prepared a new 
working draft for a second CD ballot shortly afer the November meeting.

2.3 RESOURCES 

The Working Group had its first meeting 18-19 June 1991, and has now met
18 times -- three times per year -- in co-located technical sessions with
US committee J16. Eleven countries have been represented at the meetings:
Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand,
Sweden, UK, and the USA.  (Netherlands, recently added, will become 
the 12th delegation.)

The Working Group has been monitoring cross-language standards activities.
We are using the WG20 guidelines on extended characters. We have also
tried to remain as close to the requirements of the LIA-1 standard as
possible, but have not produced an explicit binding document. 

WG21 has several liaison appointments:

Group     Subject                                  Liaison
--------  ---------------------------------------  -----------------
WG11      Language Independent Datatypes           Keld Simonsen
WG14      C                                        Tom Plum
WG15      POSIX                                    Nobuo Saito
WG20      Internationalization                     Keld Simonsen
SC24/WG6  Multimedia presentation and interchange  Karl Soop

3.0 FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD 

The complete list of former and current target dates is shown below. 

Original  New       Event
date      date
------ ------------ ---------------------------------------------------
 9/89  (completed)  USA requested to submit C++ New Work Item Proposal
 4/91  (completed)  Approved C++ NP
 6/91  (completed)  First meeting of WG21
12/93  (completed)  Circulate informal draft within SC22
 7/94  (completed)  Vote to register WD as CD; Mtg #10.
 9/94  (completed)  Complete editorial corrections; provide WD to SC22.
10/94  (completed)  Begin CD registration ballot. 
 3/95  (completed)  Complete CD registration ballot resolutions; Mtg #12. 
 6/95  (completed)  Begin CD ballot.
 3/96  (completed)  Complete CD ballot resolution; Mtgs #14-17
 5/96  (completed)  Begin second CD ballot
 3/97   11/97       Complete second CD ballot resolution; Mtg #19, 20
 5/97   12/97       Begin FDIS ballot 
12/97    3/98       FDIS ballot results. Send IS to ITTF (with final report).

3.1 DELIVERABLES 

As detailed in the schedule, we anticipate DIS 14882 to be approved
during first quarter 1998.

3.2 STRATEGIES 

The schedule requires that WG21 complete the editing and review of
DIS 14882 during the 5-day November 1997 meeting in Morristown, New
Jersey.  We have confidence to undertake this, because we accomplished
the same process at the 5-day November 1996 meeting in Kona Hawaii.

3.2.1 RISKS 

Unanticipated technical objections in the current CD ballot might
delay the schedule dates.

3.2.2 OPPORTUNITIES 

The electronic distribution processes (email, ftp, and WWW) may
allow more efficient post-approval activities (Defect Reports,
etc).

3.3 WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES 

Successful balloting of DIS 14882 is our priority during 1997-1998.

4. OTHER ITEMS 

This section lists other items that are not part of the "Business
Plan" but are appropriate for Convener's Report.  (My thanks to
Dr. Martin Schoenhacker for the template of the new Convener's
Report format.)

4.1 POSSIBLE ACTION REQUESTS AT FORTHCOMING PLENARY 

[none as of now]

4.2 APPOINTMENT OF NEW CONVENER 

At the last SC22 Plenary in London, September 1996, Thomas Plum
(USA) was appointed the new convener of WG21.  He follows Sam Harbison
(USA) who had served as convener since the 1994 SC22 Plenary.

4.3 PROJECT EDITOR

The following individuals have been appointed project editors and
backup project editors, respectively:

JTC1.22.32 - Programming Language C++
    Andrew Koenig (Project Editor), Thomas Plum (backup)

4.4 ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

WG21 has conducted much of its detailed technical discussion
using email reflectors provided by courtesy of AT&T and
Andrew Koenig (Project Editor of WG21).

In addition to the e-mail reflectors, WG21 has its own ftp and Web
sites provided by courtesy of Warwick University and Steve Rumsby.

4.5 RECENT MEETINGS

No. Date             Location              Standards Body & Corporate Sponsor
--- ---------------  ------------------    --------------------------------
16  Jul  7-12, 1996  Stockholm, Sweden     ITS   Ellemtel
17  Nov 10-15, 1996  Hawaii, USA           ANSI  Plum Hall, Inc.
18  Mar  9-14, 1997  Nashua, NH, USA       ANSI  Digital Equip. Corp.

4.6 FUTURE MEETINGS

No. Date             Location              Standards Body & Corporate Sponsor
--- ---------------  ------------------    --------------------------------
19  Jul 13-18, 1997  Cambridge, UK         BSI   Programming Research
20  Nov  9-14, 1997  New Jersey, USA       ANSI  AT&T
21  Mar  8-13, 1998  Sophia Antipolis, FR  AFNOR Ilog
22  Jul 12-17, 1998  Rochester, NY         ANSI  Xerox

___________________end of SC22 N2483 _______________________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Plum              Plum Hall Inc, PO Box 44610, Kamuela HI 96743 USA
[email-masked]       TEL +1-808-882-1255  FAX +1-808-882-1556