Subject: N 4162 - Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 4109, Registration Letter B allot for ISO/IEC PDTR 24747, Information technology - Programming langua ges, environments and system software interfaces - Extensions to the C Li brary to Support Mathematical Special Functi

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:17:08 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4162 

TITLE: Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 4109, Registration Letter Ballot for
ISO/IEC PDTR 24747, Information technology - Programming languages,
environments and system software interfaces - Extensions to the C Library to
Support Mathematical Special Functions

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2006-11-08

SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 
SC 22 N 4109 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Summary of Voting 

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: 
As per the results of this ballot, this document has been registered.  WG 14
is instructed to prepare the text for approval balloting.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
Def 

Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Sally Seitz 
ANSI 
11 West 42nd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4918 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked] 
_______ end of title page; beginning of summary ______________ 
                      SUMMARY OF VOTING ON 
Letter Ballot:          SC22 N4109 
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22 
Circulation Date:            2006-08-07 
Closing Date:                2006-11-07 

SUBJECT:  SC 22 N 4109, Registration Letter Ballot for ISO/IEC PDTR 24747,
Information technology - Programming languages, environments and system
software interfaces - Extensions to the C Library to Support Mathematical
Special Functions
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval: 

"P" Members supporting approval without comment                   
11 (Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, Republic
of Korea, Romania, Switzerland, United States)

"P" Members supporting approval with comments              
1 (Netherlands) 

"P" Members not supporting approval       
0 

"P" Members abstaining                    
2(Austria, United Kingdom)

"P" Members not voting  
5(France, Ireland, Russian Federation, Spain, Ukraine)

National Body Comments:
Netherlands:
Comment with the YES vote on SC 22 N 4109 - Registration Letter Ballot for
ISO/IEC PDTR 24747, Extensions to the C Library to Support Mathematical
Special Functions

On more than once occasion the Netherlands has expressed its concern for the
growing size and complexity of what is being standardized as 'the C
languages with extensions'.  As the C language is more and more used in
small embedded systems, the urge to adhere (and conform) to the full set of
specifications diminishes as the specifications extend into areas that are
not relevant for the majority of target systems.  WG 14 is requested before
to investigate this issue, but so far nothing has happened.

The Mathematical Special Functions TR is a case where the set of functions
that is specified is very useful in a certain area of application, but is
most likely of no use and very expensive to implement for other areas.
Hence, the Netherlands will support the development of this TR, but will
strongly object to the inclusion of specifications from this TR into the
main C standard (should such an inclusion ever be considered).  

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
American National Standards Institute
25 West 43rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Tel: 212 642 4918
Fax: 212 840 2298