Subject: N 4104 - POSIX Advisory Group Report to the September 2006 SC 22 Plenary

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:53:31 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 
  
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4104
  
TITLE: 
POSIX Advisory Group Report to the September 2006 SC 22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2006-08-01 
  
SOURCE: 
Convenor 

BACKWARD POINTER: 
N/A 
  
DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Other (def) 

PROJECT NUMBER: 
N/A 
  
STATUS: 
This document is circulated for review and consideration.  It will be
discussed under agenda item 7.4.2 at the September 2006 SC 22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
ACT 
  
DUE DATE: 
  
DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 
  
DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
def

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
American National Standards Institute
25 West 43rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Tel: 212 642 4918
Fax: 212 840 2298

________________________________________end of cover sheet, beginning of
document_____________________________________
SC 22/POSIX Advisory Group                                       PAG N0007
February 2006                                                  SC 22 N____
              Report on the Second Meeting of the PAG
                Standards Council of Canada, Ottawa,

1. The POSIX Advisory Group met in conjunction with the other Austin
Group Organizations, February 21-24 2006, graciously hosted by the
Standards Council of Canada, in Ottawa, Quebec. The primary business
of the meeting was to commence the detailed revision of ISO/IEC 9945
(parts 1 through 4). The PAG included delegations from the US, and UK.
One member from Norway was also present. The Canadian delegation took
part in the plenary meetings, but were not present during the PAG
specific breakout.

2. The group laid out a plan for the revision of ISO/IEC 9945 that will
include 4-5 drafts, and with a final ballot closure in 2008. The
project editor has called for nominations to form an editing group. The
PAG advises SC 22 to take all appropriate steps to ensure that this
revision takes place[, including approval of this editing group if
required].  It is not clear from the JTC 1 directives whether or not a
NWI or division of work to conduct a revision[, and historically SC 22
has not required such an action].  In the event that such an action is
believed necessary, the PAG advises SC 22 to support such an action. The
PAG notes that TR 24715 and IS 23360 have both been offered to the
Austin Group plenary as input documents for the revision process, for
the purposes of conflict resolution only.

3. During the plenary meeting, the joint group considered TR 24715
(Conflicts between ISO/IEC 9945 and the LSB) and ISO/IEC 23360 (the
LSB) while looking for areas where the two standards could be further
harmonized. Arising from this discussion, a suggestion was made in the
PAG that SC 22 should ask for the free availability of TR24715 and of
IS 23360. Neither of these documents are in the direct remit of the
PAG. However, they both have deserving justification for such a request,
and therefore PAG advises SC 22 to consider such requests at their next
plenary meeting (London, September 2006). The Project Editors for both
documents are also members of the PAG, and both agreed to independently
request free availability of their respective documents.

4. The PAG considered SC 22 resolution 05-20. This resolution asks
for Project Editor action, and as a result does directly require PAG
action. However, the PAG discussed this with the Project Editor, who
has called for volunteers to handle the registry. Mr Keld Simonsen has
volunteered, and the PAG therefore recommends that SC 22 request that
Mr Simonsen continue to run this service.