Subject: N 4095-FSG Liaison Report/Linux Standard Report to the September 2006 JTC 1/SC 22 Plenary

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:32:59 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4095 

TITLE: 
FSG Liaison Report/Linux Standard Report to the September 2006 JTC 1/SC 22
Plenary 
  
DATE ASSIGNED: 
2006-07-25 
  
SOURCE: 
Liaison Representative/Project Editor (N. Stoughton) 
  
BACKWARD POINTER: 
  
DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Liaison Organization Contribution 

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: 
This document is circulated for review and consideration.  It will be
discussed at the September 2006 SC 22 Plenary in London under agenda item
7.2.2 and 9.1.

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
ACT 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
pdf 

CROSS REFERENCE: 

DISTRIBUTION: 
def 

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
American National Standards Institute
25 West 43rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Tel: 212 642 4918
Fax: 212 840 2298

______________________________end of cover sheet, beginning of
document_________________________________________
Free Standards Group Liaison Report, SC 22 July 2006
ISO/IEC 23360 Linux Standard Base Project Editor's Report
Submitted by Nick Stoughton, Free Standards Group

The Free Standards Group has a Category A Liaison to SC 22, and is a JTC 1
approved
PAS submitter. The PAS submitter status expired in December 2005, but was
renewed 
as of 9 May 2006 after a successful JTC 1 ballot (see JTC 1/N8139).
The new term expires 31 May 2008.

While the reaffirmation request (JTC 1/N8025) details a number of projects
that may ultimately expect to be processed as PAS submissions, none of these
are currently approaching submission.

ISO/IEC 233360 LSB has been submitted to ITTF for publication. There was a
protracted delay in this process, partly caused by the document license
terms.
The LSB had from the start been described as developed under the GNU Free
Documentation License. The FSG had been given to understand at repeated
meetings and discussions that this represented no problem for ISO/IEC.
However, on final submission to ITTF the project editor was requested to
remove references to the FDL, and to place a running footer giving all
copyright to ISO/IEC, with ALL rights reserved.

An initial compromise was struck, whereby the document would be published by
ISO/IEC with their copyright notice, but the document would remain under the
Free Documentation License. When the project editor finally turned around a
new version with this change, the ITTF again requested the removal of the
FDL.

The document that has now been submitted (as this report is being prepared)
effectively means that the document now carries a dual license. The ISO/IEC
version is derived from the FSG version, and ISO/IEC have rights on this
version. The Free Standards Group will continue to develop and maintain the
open source version, and anyone requiring to use text may utilize this
version. Periodically, as technical corrigenda are applied, the restricted
license version can be generated and balloted through the ISO process.

The Free Standards Group remains committed to the PAS process, and will
continue to work with SC 22 to ensure that technical developments and
document
maintenance are reflected in the ISO version in a timely manner.