Subject: N 4070-Canadian Submission on Progression of Revision of ISO 1589 7, Procedures for the Registration of Cultural Elements

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:22:35 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4070

TITLE: 
Canadian Submission on Progression of Revision of ISO 15897, Procedures for
the Registration of Cultural Elements 

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2006-07-05 

SOURCE: 
National Body of Canada 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
National Body Contribution 

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: 
This document is circulated for information and review.  It will be
discussed at the 19-22 September 2006 SC 22 Plenary Meeting under agenda
item 12.6.  Because the progression of this document is already on the
meeting agenda, the SC 22 Chair and Secretary have decided that a decision
will be taken at the meeting regarding this contribution.

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
def  
_______________________end of cover page, beginning of
document______________

Canadian Submission on Progression of Revision to IS15897
Procedures for Registration of Cultural Elements to SC22 secretariat

Canada submits the following for immediate letter ballot.

ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22 resolves, pending support from ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC35, to
transfer responsibility for ISO/IEC 15897 Procedures for Registration of
Cultural Elements from ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22 to ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC35. It is
furthermore resolved that FDIS 15897 ballot be held under the auspices of
the SC35 secretariat.

Rationale: IS 15897 is a functioning international standard which is in need
of maintenance. The work is currently assigned to SC22, but SC22 is unable
to progress the work, having terminated its internationalization working
group, WG20, it no longer has a functioning place for internationalization
work. It is unlikely that SC22 could muster the required 5 NB's to maintain
this project.  SC35, however, has an active working group, WG5, on cultural
and linguistic adaptability in user interfaces and appears ready to
undertake this project. SC35/WG5 would be a natural home for this work on
cultural element registry.

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
American National Standards Institute
25 West 43rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Tel: 212 642 4918
Fax: 212 840 2298