Subject: N 4067-REVISED Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 4016, Letter Ballot f or Approval of Resolution 05-30b: Progression of the Revision of ISO/IEC 15897, Procedure for the Registration of Cultural Elements

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:41:00 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 
  
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4067

TITLE: REVISED Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 4016, Letter Ballot for Approval
of Resolution 05-30b: Progression of the Revision of ISO/IEC 15897,
Procedure for the Registration of Cultural Elements

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2006-06-16 

SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 
N/A 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Summary of Voting 

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: This summary has been revised to include the vote of the
Netherlands, which was received on time but inadvertently not included.
Please note, that although another negative vote has been received,
consensus has not been reached and the future of this project will be
discussed and decided upon at the September 2006 SC 22 Plenary.

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
ACT 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 
SC 22 N4016, N 4054 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
Def 

Sally Seitz 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4918 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked] 
_____end of cover page, beginning of voting summary______________ 

SUMMARY OF VOTING ON 
Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N4016 
Circulated by:                JTC 1/SC22 Circulation Date:           
2006-01-25 Closing Date:                 2006-04-25
SUBJECT: Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 4016, Letter Ballot for the Approval
of Resolution 05-30b: Progression of the Revision of ISO/IEC 15897,
Procedure for the Registration of Cultural Elements

The following responses have been received on the subject of registration: 
"P" Members approve the resolution 
3(China, Japan, United States) 

"P" Members disapproving the resolution  
4(Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Republic of Korea) 

"P" Members abstaining 
4(Austria, Italy, Switzerland, United Kingdom) 

"P" Members not voting 
8(Canada, Czech Republic, France, Ireland, Romania, Russian Federation,
Spain, Ukraine) 

Comments Received: 
Germany 
Germany has the following comments on the above Letter Ballot. 
It is not totally clear to the German NB what will happen if resolution
05-30b is rejected.  E-mails exchanged between the SC 22 Secretariat, the SC
22/WG 14 Convenor, German and Dutch standardizers on this topic leave the
impression on us that is not 100% clear to other parties either what will be
done if the result of this letter ballot is negative.

Since there is no obvious ample room for confusion and misinterpretation the
German NB adds this comment to our negative vote in order to make it clear
what Germany wants to see happening next.  

Germany's negative vote on resolution 05-30b has the following intention:
Germany wishes to see the revision of ISO/IEC 15897:1999 cancelled.  Germany
advocates withdrawing the standards ISO/IEDC 15897:1999 at the earliest
possible convenience.  

Netherlands
Inappropriate ballot: resolution 05-30b was never intended to be subject of
a letter ballot in SC22.

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 642-4918
Fax: (212) 840-2298
Email: [email-masked]