Subject: SC22 N2471 - Venue Info for SC22 August 1997 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 17:35:33 -0400 (EDT)

________________beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2471

May 1997

TITLE:             Venue Information for the Tenth Plenary Meeting of
                   ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 on August 18-22, 1997 in Ottawa,
                   Ontario, Canada

SOURCE:            Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:         N/A

STATUS:            If staying at the Lord Elgin Plaza, please note that
                   reservations must be made by July 9, 1997 to ensure       
                   room availability.

CROSS REFERENCE:    N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:      Venue Information for SC22 Plenary

ACTION:             To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for
                    information or action, as applicable.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________end of title page; beginning of text ______________

JTC1/SC22 MEETING, August 18-22 1997:
NOTES ON FACILITIES AND SERVICES IN OTTAWA

MEETING LOCATION

The location of JTC1/SC22 meeting is:

   Government Conference Centre (GCC)
   2 Rideau Street,
   Ottawa, Ontario
   Tel: 613-990-6700

HOTELS

A block booking has been made at:

   Lord Elgin Hotel
   100 Elgin Street
   Ottawa, ON  K1P 5K8, Canada
   Tel.: 1-800-267-4298, 613-235-3333, Fax: 613-235-3223

Rooms $89.00 Canadian per night, for either a single or double room.
Ontario hotels charge a tax of 12% on top of the room rate.  Some tax
rebates are available on departure from Canada, and information forms
will be available at the meeting.  The hotel has been refurbished, and
is just seven minutes from the GCC.

These rooms at this rate are held only until 9 July, 1997.  Ottawa is
usually fully booked in August, so please call early to get your choice.
Ask for the rooms booked under the block for "International Standards
Organization".  Be sure to have your credit card number and expiry date
to give to the hotel to secure your booking.  Ask for your confirmation
number.

Other hotels in the area:

- Radisson Hotel Ottawa Centre
  100 Kent Street, Ottawa, ON, K1P 5N7, Canada
  Tel: 1-800-333-3333, 613-238-1122

  - A four-star hotel approximately 1 km from the GCC along a pedestrian
    mall.

- Chateau Laurier Hotel
  1 Rideau Street, Ottawa, ON, K1N 8S7, Canada
  Tel.: 1-800-441-1414, 613-241-1414, Fax: 613-562-7033

  - A traditional, four-star hotel directly across from the GCC.

- Les Suites
  130 Besserer Street, Ottawa, ON, K1N 9M9, Canada
  Tel.: 613-232-2000, Fax: 613-232-1242

  - A suite hotel, just five minutes walk from the GCC.  A suite is a
    kitchenette, a living area and a bedroom.  There are pull-out beds
    in the living rooms.  An extra person can stay in the suite for $10
    per night.

- Novotel
  33 Nicholas Street, Ottawa, ON  K1N 9M7, Canada
  Tel.: 613-230-3033, Fax: 613-230-7865

  - A business person's hotel, five minutes walk from GCC.

OTHER INFORMATION

1. Registration and Plenary Meetings are at the Government Conference
   Centre, which is in the heart of downtown Ottawa, just minutes from
   Parliament Hill.  It is located in Confederation Square, near the
   Rideau Centre, which is identified on all maps of the central core of
   Ottawa.
   The meeting will be held in the Sussex Room, which is at the rear of
   the building.  Note that the most convenient entrance is the "rear"
   entrance, off Colonel By Drive.

2. The Conference Centre will be open for everyone on Monday 18 August.

3. Meeting rooms will be accessible from 7.30am until 6.30pm.

4. The international telephone number for the Standards Council of
   Canada is 1-613-238-3222.  For fax transmission, use 1-613-995-4564
   (attention D. Langlotz).

5. Copying services will use 8.5 x 11 inch.

6. Ottawa airport is located approx 20 km south of the downtown area.

7. Only taxis identified by an AIRPORT sign are allowed to pick up
   general passengers at the airport.  Use of a Visa, Mastercard, AMEX
   or Enroute credit cards for taxi service to hotels can be arranged
   through the dispatcher for the AIRPORT taxis.  This must be done at
   the airport.
   A more economical service is by shuttle bus, which runs every
   half-hour to most major downtown hotels (including the Lord Elgin).
   The cost is $9 for a one-way ticket, or $14 for a returm.
   Also a city bus (OC Transpo) #96 from the airport will come within
   one block of the Lord Elgin Hotel (cost $1.85: exact change or a $2
   coin).

8. Within the city, we understand that all Blue Line taxis are able to
   accept the above credit cards.  Other companies, if requested, will
   dispatch a driver who is able to accept a credit card.  In the latter
   case, there are some limitations on which cards are acceptable.

9. Public OCTranspo buses are on an exact cash fare basis, which is
   $1.85 at all times.  It is paid at the front entrance to the bus.
   Tickets worth $0.80 each can be purchased at some saving and for
   convenience, and are used two per ride.

10. Information regarding tourist attractions and arrangements will be
    available at the Conference Centre.

11. Canadian coins are in 1, 5, 10, 25 cents, 1 and 2 dollar
    denominations.  The most common bills are $5 (blue), $10 (purple)
    and $20 (green).

12. Information concerning SCC and Ottawa may be found at the following
    web sites, among others:

    - Standards Council of Canada: http://www.scc.ca

   -  City.Net Ottawa, Ontario:
         http://www.city.net/countries/canada/ontario/ottawa/

   -  Tourottawa: http://www.tourottawa.org

   -  Cyber Guide to Ottawa: http://www.cyberus.ca/~developer/Ottawa/

13. If you require further information or assistance, please contact
    Graham Warren, e-mail [email-masked], tel: 416-448-2318.

___________________end of SC22 N2471 ___________________________________