Subject: SC22 N2462 - SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC 1 Reengineering Ad Hoc

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:40:36 -0400 (EDT)

_____________________beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)]

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2462

April 1997

TITLE:              SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Re-
                    engineering Meeting, April 7-11, 1997 in Berlin,
                    Germany

SOURCE:             Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:          N/A

STATUS:             N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:    SC22 N2460, N2461

DOCUMENT TYPE:      N/A

ACTION:             To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for
                    information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]
_________________end of title page; beginning of text _________________

SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC1 Ad Hoc on Re-engineering Meeting

I participated on your behalf at the meeting of the JTC1 Ad Hoc on
Re-engineering that met in Berlin on 7-11 April 1997. 

The principal results of the Ad Hoc are as follows: 

*  A set of proposed JTC1 technology directions and common strategic
characteristics was developed (JTC1 N4627, distributed to SC22 as SC22
N2461) and circulated to NBs for a 60-day letter ballot.  Comments will be
considered at the next Ad Hoc meeting in June. 

*  A rationale for the reengineering process was developed for circulation
to NBs and SCs, together with a set of questions for response by SCs (JTC1
N4631, distributed to SC22 as SC22 N2460).  The SC responses are due by 15
May since they will be circulated to NBs for review and consideration when
developing their NB positions on JTC1 structure and reorganization.  In
June, the Ad Hoc on Reengineering will then develop its final
recommendations, including those on structure and reorganization, so that
the JTC1 approval ballot can be completed prior to the next JTC1 plenary
in September. 

   Regarding structure and reorganization, the current SC22 work program
fits exactly into the technical direction entitled, "Programming Languages
and Software Interfaces."  Thus, the JTC1 reorganization should have
little effect on SC22, unless there are NB recommendations for a radical
change that is not currently anticipated.

   I will circulate a set of draft SC22 responses by email only since I
will need comments within two weeks in order to prepare and submit the
final SC22 position by the required deadline.

*  A final version of the list of canceled projects was produced (JTC1
N4621) and distributed to SCs for immediate cancellation of the projects
on the list.  Only three SC22 projects are on the list, 22.18.05,
22.18.06, and 22.27.02, all of which we already canceled at our last
plenary. 

*  A document was development describing the process for maintenance of
standards related to canceled projects (JTC1 N4630).  It requires SCs to
continue to receive and respond to defect reports, but requires that an NP
be balloted and approved before initiation of any work on an amendment or
revision. 

*  Further development was done on the new Business Team concept for JTC1
and a pilot project in the area of electronic commerce was proposed to
JTC1 NBs for a 60-day letter ballot.  A rationale for business teams and
the proposed terms of reference for the pilot project are contained in
JTC1 N4626.  If approved, Mr. Ulrich Hartmann of Germany will be the
Business Team Leader for the pilot project. 

*  The ISO Central Secretariat has changed the questions asked of NBs in
the periodical review of International Standards.  The new form only asks
whether the ISO standard has been implemented as a national standard or is
used per se by the national industry, and if yes, whether the standard
implemented or used is without change.  There is no longer any question
about confirmation, revision or withdrawal of the standard.  The Ad Hoc
was concerned about this since it felt that a question about confirmation,
revision or withdrawal should continue to be asked, and in addition, that
NBs be asked, in the case of revision, whether they are prepared to
participate in the development of the project.  A recommended revision of
the periodical review questions was developed (JTC1 N4629) for ballot by
JTC1; if approved, it will be forwarded to the ISO TMB for endorsement. 

_____________________ end of document SC22 N2462 _________________