Subject: N 4004-JTC 1/SC 22 Chairman's Report on the JTC 1 Plenary Meeting , 9-17 November 2005 in Banff, Canada

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:40:29 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4004
 
TITLE:
JTC 1/SC 22 Chairman's Report on the JTC 1 Plenary Meeting, 9-17 November
2005 in Banff, Canada

DATE ASSIGNED:
2005-11-21
 
SOURCE:
SC 22 Chair

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A
 
DOCUMENT TYPE:
Officer's Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A
 
STATUS:
This document is circulated to SC 22 members for information.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI
 
DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:
 
DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Sally Seitz
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4918
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

__________________end of cover page, beginning of document____________
To:		SC 22
From:	John L. Hill, Chairman, JTC 1 SC 22
Subject:	Meeting Report: 2005 JTC 1

JTC 1 held its meeting 2005-11-09/17 in Banff, Alberta. I attended to
represent SC 22, This is my report to SC 22 on what happened during that
meeting.

Status of SC 22's Contributions to JTC 1
There were three reports from SC 22, and one from me, as chairman, to the
meeting:

* SC 22 Business Plan & Report on Marketing Initiatives (JTC 1 N7921, N7922,
SC 22 N3994): I presented the report and JTC 1 raised no questions about it.

* SC 22 Submission on JTC 1 Directives (JTC 1 N7923, SC 22 N3992): JTC 1
received all ten requests for change and questions that SC 22 raised in its
contribution. JTC 1 assigned all ten to a new special working group on
directives. I intend to represent SC 22 in the SWG.

* SC 22 Submission on the ISO Advisory Group on Security (JTC 1 N7924, SC 22
N3993): The ISO Technical Management Board has formed a continuing group on
security (named the strategic advisory group on security), composed of
representatives of national bodies (and not technical committees). JTC 1
acknowledged SC 22's legitimate interest in security and will ask the ISO
TMB to be permitted membership in the strategic advisory group on security.

* Report of SC 22's Recent Experience with Vocabulary and Terminology (JTC 1
N7972, SC 22 N4001): SC 22 was the only SC that made a written contribution
concerning the implementation of a plan for this. They heard everything we
had to say, and created a group to address it. I intend to represent SC 22
in that group.

Action Items for SC 22
There are several items we need to address as the result of the JTC 1
meeting:

* JTC 1 Study Group on Web Services - I remain concerned that SC 22 has not
seemed interested in this work, aside from naming Mr. Kim to participate in
it. We should consider possible contributions to the group so that they duly
consider the reliance of web services on the features of programming
languages. I urge each WG to put this matter onto their next meeting agenda.

* JTC 1 Ad Hoc Group on Vocabulary - While I intend to represent SC 22 in
the activities of this group, I am concerned that we all consider carefully
what we will need to do in order to implement, and subsequently use the
database. I urge national body members to put this matter onto their next
meeting agenda.

* JTC 1 Directives Concerning Normative Referencing - Annex N (as modified
during the JTC 1 meeting, including the associated forms) of JTC 1's
Directives prescribe how our standards can normatively reference
non-ISO/IEC/ITU-T standards. My impression at this time is that SC 22
probably has a few instantiations of this, and that we may not have followed
the Directives completely. I urge the WGs to review each of their
publications (standards, TRs, addenda, etc.) identifying such normative
references and assuring that the Directives have been followed.

* Record Keeping - JTC 1 has approved revisions to the record keeping
requirements to which JTC 1 and all its subgroups must adhere. I urge all
group leaders (conveners, etc.) to review their record keeping activities
and revise them as required in order to comply with the revised
requirements.

* Teleconferencing - JTC 1 has revised its policies on teleconferencing to
take account of, among a few other things, our contribution. Essentially,
any subgroup of JTC 1 can use teleconferencing. I urge all group leaders to
become aware of the new policies and use them appropriately. Also, I urge
the national body members to consider the policies when offering to host
meetings.

* Patents in JTC 1 Standards - JTC 1 is in the process of revising its
policies concerning patent declarations (for patents contained in JTC 1
standards). While I am unaware of any SC 22 standards that contain patents,
I urge WG conveners to conduct a review of their publications and assure
that JTC 1's policies have been followed.

* ISO Special Advisory Group on Security - Since JTC 1 has requested
membership in this group, if the ISO TMB grants that membership, JTC 1 will
assign Walter Fumy, the chairman of JTC 1 SC 27 on Security, will represent
JTC 1 in the group. E need to be certain Walter is knowledgeable about SC
22's concerns about security. We need to figure out a way to make that
happen. For the time being, I urge WG conveners to put onto their next
meeting agenda a topic that will capture their concerns. I also urge
national body members to consider a mechanism for transmitting those
concerns, possibly in some consolidated form, to Walter.

Summary
Our work in preparing contributions to JTC 1 is paying off handsomely. I
thank each of you for your hard work in making our activities a success.

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 642-4918
Fax: (212) 840-2298
Email: [email-masked]