Subject: N 3988-JTC 1/SC 22 Resolutions Cross Referenced with PAG Recommen dations

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 12:01:32 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3988
 
TITLE:
JTC 1/SC 22 Resolutions Cross Referenced with PAG Recommendations

DATE ASSIGNED:
2005-10-05
 
SOURCE:
PAG Convenor (N. Stoughton) 

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A
 
DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other (def)

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A
 
STATUS:
This document is circulated for information.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI
 
DUE DATE:
  
DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:
 
DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def
 
Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Sally Seitz
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4918
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]
___________end of cover page, beginning of
document____________________________________________________________________
_____

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22 N____3988_________			2005-10-02
PAG N_____________					N.Stoughton

Following the January, 2005 meeting of JTC 1/SC 22 POSIX Advisory Group
(PAG), a number of recommendations were made.

This document is intended to provide a cross reference between those
recommendations and the resolutions of the subcomittee made at its plenary
meeting in Mont Tremblant, Canada, in October 2005.

1. Recommends that Nick Stoughton be appointed as Organizational
Representative from SC 22 to the Austin Group, with Keld Simonsen as
alternate.

See resolution 05-09.

2. Advises SC22 of possible overlap in scope between the work of the Austin
Group and that of WG14 (C Libraries), WG21 (C++ multi-thread memory models)
and the I18NRG (I18N issues [POSIX Locales, WG 20 Locales, C Locales, C++
Locales etc, and character set issues]). See recommendation 11 for further
details.

See resolution 05-10.

3. Requests that the SC 22 Chair ask ITTF about the packaging status of the
four parts of 9945, which should constitute a single standard, possibly
published in four volumes.

See resolution 05-15

4. Recommends that the Project Editor for any document should continue to be
the primary mechanism by which new versions of any specification should be
forwarded to SC 22 for approval.

Since this is the primary mechanism by which documents are processed within
SC 22, no resolution was believed necessary.

5. Advises SC 22 that the existing procedures (see SC 22 N3486) used to
jointly develop and maintain specifications within the Austin Group are
sufficient.

See resolution 05-18

6. Nominates Andrew Josey (UK) to be the project editor for 22.21.04.01.01
(POSIX, 9945 parts I-IV), and notes that the UK delegation present at the
PAG meeting were willing to provide National Body support for this
nomination.

See resolution 05-29

7. Advises SC 22 of the following POSIX related projects that were formerly
under the scope of WG 15, and makes recommendations as follows:
          ...

See resolutions 05-04 and 05-31.

8. Recommends that all project editors of all surviving projects listed
above provide a copy of their document source to Keld Simonsen for archive.
PAG further recommends that all project editors of projects canceled as
listed above should provide Keld Simonsen a copy of all relevant documents
around the canceled project (including any drafts) for archive. ACTION: NS
to request that the Project Editor for 9945 (AJ) provide Keld Simonsen with
a copy of the sources for the current standard (including all of the
Technical Corrigenda).

See resolution 05-17

9. Recommends that SC 22 assigns the WG 15 action item regarding the
repository for POSIX character maps and locales to the I18NRG.

See resolution 05-19

10.Recommends that SC 22 thank Mr Keld Simonsen for the maintenance of the
WG 15 website and email lists. Further, PAG recommends that SC 22 ask Mr.
Simonsen to continue to maintain this archive, noting that it is now a
disbanded group. PAG thanks Mr Simonsen directly for his untiring efforts in
this respect.

See resolution 05-20

11.Recommends that the Austin Group OR should make the following points
during the Austin Group meeting, and recommends that SC 22 note any areas of
inter WG liaison that may exist: ...

See resolution 05-09, 05-10

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 642-4918
Fax: (212) 840-2298
Email: [email-masked]

ARE YOU AN EFFECTIVE LEADER IN ISO OR IEC ACTIVITIES?
Attend the 2005 ANSI Conference on U.S. Leadership in ISO and IEC
November 9 & 10 2005 - Phoenix, Arizona
For more information and registration, click here

Attend World Standards Week 2005
featuring the ANSI Annual Conference,
From A to Veeck: Standardization and the Law
October 3-7, 2005
Washington, DC
For more information: www.ansi.org/wsweek