Subject: N 3976-Supplementary Report to N 3952, Report to JTC 1 Ad Hoc Ter minology

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:35:52 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3976

TITLE:

Supplementary Report to N 3952, Report to JTC 1 Ad Hoc Terminology

DATE ASSIGNED:

2005-09-18

SOURCE:

Ad Hoc Representative (R. Scowen)

BACKWARD POINTER:

N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Other (defined)

PROJECT NUMBER:

N/A

STATUS:

Because this document was received after the due date for document
submissions, its addition to the agenda will have to be approved at the
Plenary.  Should it's addition be accepted, this document will be discussed
under agenda item 7.4.1.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:

text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Def

Address reply to:

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

__________________________End of cover sheet, beginning of
document_____________________________________________________________

JTC1 and SC22 - Terminology - Supplement

Background

Following my offer to collect together the definitions from SC22 standards,
SC22 accepted my offer and appointed me as its terminology representative (I
was later also asked to represent UK and BSI) on the JTC1 ad hoc group on
terminology.

SC22 N3952 and N3953 summarise the results of collecting the SC22
definitions, and my impressions of the JTC1 ad hoc group.

This is a supplement adding information of 215 definitions from Fortran, and
some pointers to the translation facilities in the European Commission (and
thus partly answering my own question in SC22 N3952).

 Roger Scowen
September 2005

The 2005 database

The 2005/1 database contains 1402 definitions collected from 13 standards
and Technical Reports, in particular from Ada, Cobol, Extended BNF, Fortran,
ISLisp, Posix, Prolog, and WG11 (Language binding).

Sources

Fortran

ISO/IEC 1539-1:2004 Fortran -- Part 1: Base language

LISS

ISO/IEC TR 14369:1999 Language Independent Service Specifications

Prolog

ISO/IEC 13211-1:1995 Prolog: Part 1 - General core

Posix

ISO/IEC 9945-1:2003 POSIX: Part 1 - Base definitions

ISLisp

ISO/IEC 13816:1996 ISLisp

Cobol

ISO/IEC 1989:2002 Cobol

Extended BNF

ISO/IEC 14977:1996 Extended BNF

Ada

ISO/IEC 8652:1995/Cor.1:2000

ASIS

ISO/IEC FDIS 15291 Ada Semantic Interface Specification

ACATS

ISO/IEC 18009:1999 Ada Conformity Assessment Test Suite

Notes

ISO/IEC TR 14369 Language Independent Service Specifications

The definitions are copied from four other standards: TR 10182 (Guidelines
for language bindings), 10967-1 (Language-independent arithmetic), 11404
(Language-independent datatypes), 13886 (Language-Independent Procedure
Calling) 

ISO/IEC TR 15942:2000

has no definitions clause.

ISO/IEC 18009

The definitions are mostly quoted from other sources, primarily ISO
vocabulary guides  and TR 9547. Only the definitions in clause 4.15.x are
original to ACATS

Confession

The contents of the database have not been checked against the original
standards, and I feel sure some errors have been introduced.

Files

The database would be available as two Excel files, each with a single
worksheet:

            (1) collected sc22 definitions 2005.xls, and

            (2) sorted sc22 definitions 2005.xls

European Commission

In SC22 N3952 I wondered, 'How does the European Commission cope with its
even greater translation needs?'

Tytti Granqvist (Coordinator for External Communication, Unit DGT-02
Communication and Information, Directorate-General for Translation, European
Commission: e-mail: [email-masked]) answered my email queries: 

(September 5): The common work programme on compiling multilingual IT
terminology that you propose seems a very interesting and useful project.
However, this type of highly technical terminology work goes beyond the
scope of our regular core activities - which is translating EU legislation
and the related terminology work - and the resources we have currently
available.

(September 15): The tools used by the Directorate-General for Translation,
which is responsible for translating written texts for the European
Commission, are described in detail in the booklet "Translation Tools and
Workflow" available in PDF format on our website
http://europa.eu.int/comm/dgs/translation/index_en.htm. Those tools that are
publicly available are Celex and EUR-Lex, the databases of all published EU
legislation, and Eurodicautom, the multilingual term bank of the Commission.
These can be accessed, for example, from our web page devoted to language
aids: http://europa.eu.int/comm/translation/index_en.htm (in the right-hand
column). From that page, you also have access to the term bank of the
Council of the European Union, the Terminological Information System, or
TIS. Eurodicautom and TIS are being migrated into an inter-institutional
term database called IATE, which is not yet public. The machine translation
system used in the Commission can be made available at request to public
authorities, schools and universities of the EU member states, but not to
the public.

Document history

2005 May 13-30: File started and stored as c:\r5\standard\st82.doc.

2005-06-01: Emailed to SC22 and BSI.

2005-08-15: Extended into a report to SC22 plenary and stored in c:\my
briefcase\sc22 - 2005 terminology.com.

2005-09-16: This supplement noting the addition of Fortran terminology, and
providing a pointer to translation requirements and facilities in European
Commission.

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

ARE YOU AN EFFECTIVE LEADER IN ISO OR IEC ACTIVITIES?

Attend the 2005 ANSI Conference on U.S. Leadership in ISO and IEC

November 9 & 10 2005 - Phoenix, Arizona

For more information and registration, click
<http://www.ansi.org/meetings_events/events/us_leaders05.aspx?menuid=8> here

Attend World Standards Week 2005
featuring the ANSI Annual Conference,
From A to Veeck: Standardization and the Law
October 3-7, 2005
Washington, DC
For more information: www.ansi.org/wsweek <http://www.ansi.org/wsweek>