Subject: N 3974-Canadian Contribution to the September 2005 SC22 Plenary o n POSIX

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:03:41 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3974

TITLE: 
Canadian Contribution to the September 2005 SC22 Plenary on POSIX

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2005-08-31

SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER: 
N/A 

STATUS: 
Because this document has been received after the due date for document
submissions, the addition of this document to the SC 22 Plenary agenda will
have to be approved at the SC 22 Plenary meeting.  Should it be approved, it
will be covered under agenda item 7.4.2.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
text

CROSS REFERENCE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
def

Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Sally Seitz 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street

_________________End of cover page, beginning of document______________

Canadian Submission to SC22 Plenary 2005 POSIX

The submission of POSIX-related documents has been problematic within SC22
for a significant period of time. WG15 had not met as a WG in excess of 5
years and yet new POSIX documents were being submitted as though there was a
properly functioning WG to manage these documents.  To wit the POSIX 2003
complete balloting process was handled by SC22 secretariat without a
functioning technical POSIX group within SC22.

At the 2004 SC22 plenary, SC22 terminated WG15 and instituted SWG to examine
and report on POSIX issues. This group had a single meeting in January 2005,
and concluded that POSIX documents should be prepared and submitted by the
existing editors directly to SC22 for balloting. 

Canada notes that:

1.ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22 has no formal relationship with the Austin Group now
that WG15 has ceased to exist. It is not even clear that the Austin Group
has a legitimate charter since 2 of the 3 founding entities no longer exist.

2.ISO/IEC/JTC1 directives contain no mechanism for project editors to submit
new standards, corrigenda to standards or amendments to standards without a
current JTC1 project and national body participation

3.SC22 has no mechanisms in place to perform technical work such as

POSIX standards development outside of working groups 

Canada therefore requests that SC22 secretariat inform the Open Group that 

a. it is unable to accept future updates to POSIX standards as SC22 work
unless an effective POSIX WG is in  existence.

b. Failing the creation of an effective POSIX WG within SC22, all future
updates to POSIX must either follow the standard JTC1 fast track process or
JTC1 PAS process; and

c.  the Open Group take necessary measures to initiate fast track or PAS
process within JTC1 so that POSIX standards are not unduly held back by
JTC1.  

Canada further notes that item 9 of the POSIX SG meeting recommends that all
POSIX character maps and locales be assigned to the I18NRG. This is likely
not possible given the current state of i18n within SC22. Recognizing that
SC22 needs a place to manage this work, we suggest that this be moved to a
developing  Linux or Linux/POSIX WG.

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

ARE YOU AN EFFECTIVE LEADER IN ISO OR IEC ACTIVITIES?

Attend the 2005 ANSI Conference on U.S. Leadership in ISO and IEC

November 9 & 10 2005 - Phoenix, Arizona

For more information and registration, click
<http://www.ansi.org/meetings_events/events/us_leaders05.aspx?menuid=8> here

Attend World Standards Week 2005
featuring the ANSI Annual Conference,
From A to Veeck: Standardization and the Law
October 3-7, 2005
Washington, DC
For more information: www.ansi.org/wsweek <http://www.ansi.org/wsweek>