Subject: N 3973-Canadian Contribution to the September 2005 SC22 Plenary o n Canadian Submission to SC22 Plenary 2005 Linux Working Group

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:57:29 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3973

TITLE: 
Canadian Contribution to the September 2005 SC22 Plenary on Canadian
Submission to SC22 Plenary 2005 Linux Working Group

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2005-08-31

SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER: 
N/A 

STATUS: 
Because this document has been received after the due date for document
submissions, the addition of this document to the SC 22 Plenary agenda will
have to be approved at the SC 22 Plenary meeting.  Should it be approved, it
will be covered under agenda item 9.4.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
text

CROSS REFERENCE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
def

Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Sally Seitz 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street

_________________End of cover page, beginning of document______________

Canadian Submission to SC22 Plenary 2005

Linux Working Group

Now that IS 23360 Linux Standards Base is close to becoming an international
standard, Canada would like to see SC22 making its support of Linux
official. Canada proposes that SC22 create a WG for the management of Linux
within SC22, appoint an interim convener and request that NB's assign
delegates to this WG and prepare a call for the appointment of a convener. 

This new WG would develop management plan for LSB within JTC1/SC22 and draft
NP's for member body consideration. 

We also request that SC22 work with the Free Standards Group to clarify the
responsibilities of each group and to develop working relationships for the
management of Linux as an international standard. 

Canada also notes that there are some significant issues in differences
between Linux and POSIX. We propose that the newly created WG be tasked with
managing issues related to these differences. 

We also note that there are likely to remain standards work associated with
i18n for character maps and locales associated with Linux. We propose that
an NP be created for this work within a Linux Working Group. 

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

ARE YOU AN EFFECTIVE LEADER IN ISO OR IEC ACTIVITIES?

Attend the 2005 ANSI Conference on U.S. Leadership in ISO and IEC

November 9 & 10 2005 - Phoenix, Arizona

For more information and registration, click
<http://www.ansi.org/meetings_events/events/us_leaders05.aspx?menuid=8> here

Attend World Standards Week 2005
featuring the ANSI Annual Conference,
From A to Veeck: Standardization and the Law
October 3-7, 2005
Washington, DC
For more information: www.ansi.org/wsweek <http://www.ansi.org/wsweek>