Subject: N 3971-Canadian Contribution to the September 2005 SC22 Plenary o n Vocabulary for Information Technology

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:45:53 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3971

TITLE: 
Canadian Contribution to the September 2005 SC22 Plenary on Vocabulary for
Information Technology

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2005-08-31

SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER: 
N/A 

STATUS: 
Because this document has been received after the due date for document
submissions, the addition of this document to the SC 22 Plenary agenda will
have to be approved at the SC 22 Plenary meeting.  Should it be approved, it
will be covered under agenda item 7.5.1.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
text

CROSS REFERENCE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
def

Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Sally Seitz 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street

_________________End of cover page, beginning of document______________

Canadian Submission for SC22 Plenary 2005

                     Vocabulary for Information Technology

Canada recommends that SC22 send a contribution to be presented at the next
JTC1 Plenary with the following position on ISO/IEC standard 2382: 

"SC22 suggests that JTC1, in parallel with the maintenance of

ISO/IEC 2382 standard, create a registry that would be ruled in a manner
consistent with already established registries.  Establishing this registry
with the rationale that definitions should come in priority from already
existing International Standards. This registry would quote the other IS
sources and manage potential vocabulary collisions. This would be easier and
more flexible to maintain by avoiding multiple international ballotings for
the same words. Once vocabulary included in this registry is stable, it
could then be integrated into the ISO/IEC 2382 standard."

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

ARE YOU AN EFFECTIVE LEADER IN ISO OR IEC ACTIVITIES?

Attend the 2005 ANSI Conference on U.S. Leadership in ISO and IEC

November 9 & 10 2005 - Phoenix, Arizona

For more information and registration, click
<http://www.ansi.org/meetings_events/events/us_leaders05.aspx?menuid=8> here

Attend World Standards Week 2005
featuring the ANSI Annual Conference,
From A to Veeck: Standardization and the Law
October 3-7, 2005
Washington, DC
For more information: www.ansi.org/wsweek <http://www.ansi.org/wsweek>