Subject: N 3969-National Activity Report of Japan for 2004-2005

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:35:33 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3969

TITLE:

National Activity Report of Japan for 2004-2005

DATE ASSIGNED:

2005-08-29

SOURCE:

Japanese National Body

BACKWARD POINTER:

N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:

National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER:

N/A

STATUS:

This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 7.1..  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:

text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Def

Address reply to:

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked]

________end of cover page beginning of document________________________

Japan National Activity Report to the Plenary Meeting of JTC 1/SC 22,
September 2005

1. National Activities for International Standardization in Japan

- SC 22 of Information Technology Standards Commission of Japan (ITSCJ) is
working as a Japanese National Committee for ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22. SC 22
meetings are held 6 times per year and some additional ad-hoc meetings are
held if necessary.

- There were nine working groups (COBOL WG, Fortran WG, Ada WG, C WG, Lisp
WG, Prolog WG, POSIX WG, C++ WG, and Language Independent Issues WG), but
POSIX WG was disbanded in November 2004. There is no corresponding WG to WG
3 (APL) from the beginning. VDM/SL and Z are covered by another group
(Formal Description Technique Sub Working Group) in ITSCJ with close liaison
with our SC 22.

- Each group has been participating actively in the corresponding
international working group.

- Additional activities to be reported are as follows:

Linux Study Group

- Japan has much interest in making International Standards for Linux and
its related functionalities. We have discussed about the PAS transposition
from the FSG at five face-to-face meetings and through its mailing list and
decided to ballot against the PAS and submitted many comments. We expect
that our comments will be resolved satisfactorily at the upcoming Ballot
Resolution Meeting held in Singapore.

CLI JIS Committee

- Upon the completion of the work on C# JIS, we have formed a CLI JIS
drafting committee. We have finished the translation work and submitted
final documents to JISC (through JSA) on February 2005. We thank ECMA TC39
TG2 and TG3 for their valuable help.

COBOL WG

- For ISO/IEC 1989:2002, - COBOL, the corresponding JIS (Japanese Industrial
Standards) draft is under refinement in terms of consistency of translation
and is expected to be published in several months.

LISP WG

- This Lisp WG created a draft technical corrigendum and a draft corrected
reprint for the ISLISP document ISO/IEC 13816. These documents were
discussed at WG 16 and, after minor refinement, have been submitted to SC22.
As the result of a letter ballot closed in January 2005, the corrected
reprint was approved as a CD.

Fortran WG

- Translation work of ISO/IEC 1539-1:2004 just started.

2. Development of National Standards

The Japanese national standards are known as Japanese Industrial Standards
(JISs). The current status of JISs in the area of SC 22 is as follows: 

1) JISs established before 2004

- C (JIS X 3010: 2003) = ISO/IEC 9899:1999 and Technical Corrigendum:2001

- C++ (JIS X 3014: 2003) = ISO/IEC 14882:2003 (second edition)

- COBOL (JIS X 3002: 1992) = ISO/IEC 1989:1985 + AMD 1

- ECMAScript (JIS X 3060: 2000) = ISO/IEC 16262:1998

- Fortran Part 1 (JIS X 3001-1: 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997

- Fortran Part 2 (JIS X 3001-2: 2002) = ISO/IEC 1539-2: 2000

- Fortran Part 3 (JIS X 3001-3: 2000) = ISO/IEC 1539-3:1999

- Framework for Internationalization (JIS TR X 0030: 2000) = ISO/IEC TR
11017: 1998

- Full BASIC (JIS X 3003: 1993) = ISO/IEC 10279: 1991

- Guidelines for Programming Language Standards Preparation (JIS TR X 0031:
2001)= ISO/IEC TR 10176: 1998

- ISLisp (JIS X 3012: 1998) = ISO/IEC 13816:1997

- MUMPS (JIS X 3011: 1995) = ISO/IEC 11756:1990

- Pascal (JIS X 3008: 1994) = ISO/IEC 7185:1990

- PCTE Part 1 (JIS X 3050: 1996) = ISO/IEC 13719-1:1995

- POSIX Part 1 (JIS X 3030: 1994) = ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990

- POSIX Part 2 (JIS X 3031: 2001) = ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993

- Prolog Part 1: General Core (JIS X 3013: 2001) = ISO/IEC 13211-1:1995

- Ada (JIS X 3009: 2002) = ISO/IEC 8652:1995

2) JISs published in FY2004

- C# language specification (JIS X 3015: 2005) = ISO/IEC 23270:2002

3) JISs prepared in FY 2004 and to be published in FY 2005

- COBOL (JIS X 3002) = ISO/IEC 1989:2002

4) Draft JISs being prepared in FY 2005

- CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) (ISO/IEC 23271:2002)

- Fortran Part 1 (ISO/IEC 1539-1:2004)

=================================================================

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298

ARE YOU AN EFFECTIVE LEADER IN ISO OR IEC ACTIVITIES?

Attend the 2005 ANSI Conference on U.S. Leadership in ISO and IEC

November 9 & 10 2005 - Phoenix, Arizona

For more information and registration, click here
<http://www.ansi.org/meetings_events/events/us_leaders05.aspx?menuid=8> 

Attend World Standards Week 2005
featuring the ANSI Annual Conference,
From A to Veeck: Standardization and the Law
October 3-7, 2005
Washington, DC

For more information: www.ansi.org/wsweek <http://www.ansi.org/wsweek>