Subject: N 3958-SC 22/WG 21 Business Plan/Convener's Report

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:55:17 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3958

TITLE:

SC 22/WG 21 Business Plan/Convener's Report 

DATE ASSIGNED:

2005-08-18

SOURCE:

SC 22/WG 21 Convenor (H. Sutter)

BACKWARD POINTER:

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS:

This document is circulated for information and review.  It will be
discussed at the 29 September-2 October 2005 SC 22 Plenary Meeting under
agenda item 8.10.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

N/A

DISTRIBUTION:

text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Open

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

______________End of cover page, beginning of document_______________

Business Plan and Convener's Report

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG21(C++)

Document:       ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG21 N1816 = J16/05-0076

Period Covered: September 2004 - September 2005

Submitted By:   Convener, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG2l

                Herb Sutter

                Microsoft Corporation

                1 Microsoft Way

                Redmond WA 98052

                Email: [email-masked]

                Tel: +1-425-707-6533

                Fax: +1-928-438-4456

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 JTC1/SC22/WG21 STATEMENT OF SCOPE

Development and maintenance of ISO/IEC Standards related to the

programming language C++.

1.2. PROJECT REPORT

1.2.1. COMPLETED PROJECTS

JTC 1.22.32- Programming Language C++ - This project was delivered by the

publishing of ISO/IEC 14882:1998 (first standard) and :2003 (minor
revision).

1.2.2. PROJECTS UNDERWAY

JTC 1.22.18015 Information Technology - Programming Languages Technical

Report on C++ Performance (Technical Report Type 3)

JTC 1.22.19768 Information Technology - Programming Languages Technical

Report of Type 2 on C++ Library Extensions (based on ISO/IEC 14882)

JTC 1.22.24733 Information Technology - Programming Languages Technical

Report of Type 2 on Extensions for the programming language C++ to support

decimal floating point arithmetic

JTC 1.22.24737 Information Technology - Programming Languages Technical

Report of Type 2 on C++ Library Extensions (based on ISO/IEC 14882)

JTC 1.22.32- Work has begun on the first major revision.

1.2.3. CANCELLED PROJECTS

None over this period.

1.2.4. COOPERATION and COMPETITION

Where appropriate, WG21 has established liaisons with other SC22 and SC22

liaison organizations' working groups. There is no direct competition with

any other current SC22 working group. Related work is being done in

SC22/WG14 (C) and Ecma TC39/TG5 (C++/CLI) with broad WG21 liaison to both

groups.

2. PERIOD REVIEW

2.1. MARKET REQUIREMENTS

ISO C++ remains a widely-used foundation technology, well-received in

the marketplace. WG21 is developing a revision of ISO 14882, and is

completing work on a Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions.

2.2. ACHIEVEMENTS

The technical work on JTC 1.22.18015 Information Technology Programming

Languages Technical Report on C++ Performance (Technical Report Type 3)

is complete and in DTR balloting.

The technical work on JTC 1.22.19768 Information Technology - Programming 

Languages Technical Report of Type 2 on C++ Library Extensions (based on 

ISO/IEC 14882) is complete and in DTR balloting.

2.3. RESOURCES

WG21 meets two times per year in co-located technical sessions with the

US committee J16. For several years now, WG21 has timed its technical

sessions to catenate with WG14, allowing those technical experts that

would like to attend both technical sessions the opportunity to do so.

(The convener of WG21 wishes to thank the convener of WG14 for valiant

efforts at harmonious liaison.)

Fifteen countries participate by attending these meetings or by being

involved in the technical discussions that take place over the

reflector. The countries are: Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France,

Germany, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden,

Switzerland, UK, and USA.  WG21 has been monitoring the cross-language

standards activities, and made use of the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 guidelines on

extended characters.

Liaisons:

  SC22/WG14 - C

    Steve Clamage (Sun, USA)

    Greg Colvin (Oracle, USA)

    Francis Glassborow (UK)

    Robert Klarer (IBM, Canada)

    Jan Kristofferson (Ramtex, Denmark)

    Habib Krit (Perennial, USA)

    Clark Nelson (Intel, USA)

    Tana Plauger (Dinkumware, USA)

    Tom Plum (Plum Hall, USA)

    Keld Simonsen (RAP, Norway)

  Ecma TC39/TG5 - C++/CLI

    J. Stephen Adamczyk (Edison Design Group, USA)

    Jonathan Caves (Microsoft, USA)

    Gabriel Dos Reis (France)

    Francis Glassborow (UK)

    Lois Goldthwaite (UK)

    Alisdair Meredith (UK)

    Roger Orr (UK)

    P.J. Plauger (Dinkumware, USA)

    Tana Plauger (Dinkumware, USA)

    Tom Plum (Plum Hall, USA)

    John Spicer (Edison Design Group, USA)

    Bjarne Stroustrup (Texas A&M University, USA)

    Herb Sutter (WG21 Convener)

    Daveed Vandevoorde (Edison Design Group, USA)

3. FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD

3.1. DELIVERABLES

The DTR ballot for JTC 1.22.18015 Information Technology Programming

Languages Technical Report on C++ Performance (Technical Report Type 3)

is expected to be completed in 2005.

The DTR ballot for JTC 1.22.19768 Information Technology - Programming

Languages Technical Report of Type 2 on C++ Library Extensions (based

on ISO/IEC 14882) is expected to be completed in 2005.

Technical work on JTC 1.22.24737 Information Technology - Programming

Languages Technical Report of Type 2 on C++ Library Extensions (based on

ISO/IEC 14882) is expected to begin in fall 2005. This is the second

"library extensions TR."

Technical work on JTC 1.22.24733 Information Technology - Programming

Languages Technical Report of Type 2 on Extensions for the programming

language C++ to support decimal floating point arithmetic (based on ISO/IEC

14882) is getting underway with broad liaison coordination with WG14's

similar work item.

3.2. STRATEGIES

WG believes that routine handling will suffice to complete the progress

desired.

3.3. RISKS

No problems are anticipated.

3.4. OPPORTUNITIES

Nothing new to report.

3.5. WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES

4. OTHER ITEMS

4.1. POSSIBLE ACTION REQUESTS AT FORTHCOMING PLENARY

Nothing to report.

4.2 PROJECT EDITORS

The following individuals have been appointed project editors and

backup Project editors:

JTC1.22.32, Programming Language C++:

  Pete Becker (Project Editor)

  Thomas Plum (Backup Project Editor)

JTC1.22.18015, Technical Report on C++ Performance:

  Lois Goldthwaite (Project Editor)

  Detlef Vollmann (Backup Project Editor)

JTC1.22.19768, Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions

JTC1.22.24737, Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions (second "Lib TR")

  Matt Austern (Project Editor)

  Pete Becker (Backup Project Editor)

4.3 ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

WG21 has conducted much of its detailed technical discussion using the

email reflector provided by the UK Association for C and C++ Users (ACCU)

and Andrew Koenig.  WG21 also has an FTP and Web site provided by courtesy

of the Danish UNIX Users Group and Keld Simonsen.  WG21 is now providing

all the appropriate committee documents on the Committee Web site, reducing

the need for paper mailings.

4.4 RECENT MEETINGS

No  Date             Location; Standards Body, Corporate Sponsor

--  ---------------  ---------------------------------------------------

18  Mar  9-14, 1997  Nashua, NH, USA; ANSI, Digital Equip. Corp.

19  Jul 13-18, 1997  Cambridge, UK; BSI, Programming Research

20  Nov  9-14, 1997  New Jersey, USA; ANSI, AT&T

21  Mar  8-13, 1998  Sophia Antipolis, FR; AFNOR, Ilog

22  Oct  6- 9, 1998  Santa Cruz, CA, USA; ANSI, SGI, Plum Hall, Perennial

23  Apr 11-16, 1999  Dublin, Ireland; Irish Standards, O'Riordan

24  Oct 20-26, 1999  Kona, Hawaii, USA; ANSI, Plum Hall

25  Apr 17-21, 2000  Tokyo, Japan; ITSCJ, NEC

26  Oct 23-27, 2000  Toronto, ON, Canada; Standards Canada,

                                          IBM, PeerDirect, Xerox

27  Apr 30-

        May 4, 2001  Copenhagen, Denmark; Danish Standards

28  Oct 21-26, 2001  Redmond, WA, USA; ANSI, Microsoft

29  Apr 21-26, 2002  Curacao, Netherlands Antilles; Netherlands

30  Oct 22-27, 2002  Santa Cruz, CA USA; ANSI, Dinkumware

31  Apr 06-11, 2003  Oxford, UK; BSI

32  Oct 26-31, 2003  Kona, HI, USA; ANSI, Plum Hall

33  Mar 21-26, 2004  Sydney, Australia: Standards Australia, Whitesmiths

34  Oct 17-22, 2004  Redmond, WA, USA; ANSI, Microsoft

35  Apr 10-15, 2005  Lillehammer, Norway; Norwegian Standards

4.5 FUTURE MEETINGS

36  Oct  2- 7, 2005  Mt. Tremblant, PQ, Canada; Standards Canada

37  Mar/Apr, 2006    Berlin, Germany; DIN, SAP

38  Oct, 2006        Portland, OR, USA; ANSI, Intel

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298

Attend World Standards Week 2005
featuring the ANSI Annual Conference,
From A to Veeck: Standardization and the Law
October 3-7, 2005
Washington, DC

For more information: www.ansi.org/wsweek <http://www.ansi.org/wsweek>