Subject: N 3809-Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3873, Registration and Approv al Letter Ballot for ISO/IEC PDTR 24717, Information technology-Programmi ng languages, their environment and system software interfaces-COBOL coll ection classes

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:06:09 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3909

TITLE:

Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3873, Registration and Approval Letter Ballot
for ISO/IEC PDTR 24717, Information technology-Programming languages, their
environment and system software interfaces-COBOL collection classes

DATE ASSIGNED: 

2005-06-07

SOURCE: 

SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

N/A 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 

Summary of Voting 

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: 

The results of this ballot are forwarded to SC 22/WG 4 for review,
production of a disposition of comments report, and preparation of the DTR
text

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 

ACT 

DUE DATE: 

N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 

Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 

SC 22 N3873

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 

Def 

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918 

Fax:             (212) 840-2298 

Email:  [email-masked] 

_____end of cover page, beginning of PDTR registration summary______________

SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N3873

Circulated by:                JTC 1/SC22

Circulation Date:            2005-02-28

Closing Date:                 2005-05-28

SUBJECT: Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3873, Registration and Approval Letter
Ballot for ISO/IEC PDTR 24717, Information technology-Programming languages,
their environment and system software interfaces-COBOL collection classes

The following responses have been received on the subject of registration: 

"P" Members supporting registration without comments  

12 (China, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Japan, Italy, Republic of
Korea, Netherlands, Romania, Russian Federation, United States, United
Kingdom)

P" Members supporting registration with comments             

"P" Members not supporting registration

0

"P" Members abstaining                   

3(Denmark, France, Switzerland

"P" Members not voting                   

6 (Belgium, Canada, Egypt, DPR of Korea, Slovenia, Ukraine,)

__end of registration summary, beginning of approval summary_____

SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N3873

Circulated by:                JTC 1/SC22

Circulation Date:            2005-02-28

Closing Date:                 2005-05-28

SUBJECT: Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3873, Registration and Approval Letter
Ballot for ISO/IEC PDTR 24717, Information technology-Programming languages,
their environment and system software interfaces-COBOL collection classes

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The following responses have been received on the subject of approval: 

"P" Members supporting approval without comments 

11 (China, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Japan, Italy, Republic of
Korea, Netherlands, Romania, Russian Federation, United Kingdom) 

P" Members supporting approval with comments             

1(United States-)

"P" Members not supporting approval

0 

"P" Members abstaining                   

3(Denmark, France, Switzerland)

"P" Members not voting                   

6 (Belgium, Canada, Egypt, DPR of Korea, Slovenia, Ukraine,)

National Body Comments

US

General Comments

1)                  There are no methods to set the values that are returned
by the Exception class methods.  These need to be defined.

2)                  Add a class diagram to the TR.

3)                  Add parameterized classes as an additional interface
definition.  

This feature will provide the ability to have typed collections which will
allow for compile time conformance checking. Compile time checking allows
for increased runtime efficiency and reliability. 

An example of a parameterized version of the Ordered Collection interface is
displayed below.

Interface-id. OrderedCollectionParamInterface

       Inherits CollectionParamIf

       Using paramClass.

Environment division.

Configuration section.

Repository.

Interface CollectionParamIf 

expands CollectionParamInterface using paramClass

Interface OrderedCollectionExceptionInterface.

*>

Procedure division.

Method-id. AddAfter.

Data division.

Linkage section.

01 inObject usage object reference paramClass.

Procedure division using by value inObject

       raising OrderedCollectionExceptionInterface.

End method AddAfter.

*>

Method-id. AddBefore.

Data division.

Linkage section.

01 inObject usage object reference paramClass.

Procedure division using by value inObject

       raising OrderedCollectionExceptionInterface.

End method AddBefore.

*>

Method-id. AddFirst.

Data division.

Linkage section.

01 inObject usage object reference paramClass.

Procedure division using by value inObject

       raising OrderedCollectionExceptionInterface.

End method AddFirst.

*>

Method-id. AddLast.

Data division.

Linkage section.

01 inObject usage object reference paramClass.

Procedure division using by value inObject

       raising OrderedCollectionExceptionInterface.

End method AddLast.

*>

End Interface OrderedCollectionInterface.

4)                  Methods that raise exception objects should specify the
ExceptionCode value that will be returned by the ExceptionCode method of the
object raised.  The TR should also clarify that an object is created for
each exception raised.  

5)                  In the section that specifies the return values for the
ExceptionCode method of an object of the CollectionException class, the
lead-in paragraph is insufficient. As an example, the TR currently states in
section 7.2.1 " The Collection class can return the following values:".
This is incorrect. The headings and the lead-in need to reflect that the
ExceptionCode values are set by, rather than returned by, the Collection
class. This change needs to be made to all the sections within 7.2.

6)                  Some interface names are longer than 31 characters.
Shorten all interface names to 31 characters or less.

Specific changes

7)                  Page 2, 16.1.1.1 Class Name, change general rule 1 to
specify "internal class name".  Add an additional method to return the
externalized class name.  Consider the problem of whether the external class
name should be national or display or both.

8)                  Page 2 remove first note under 16.1.1.1 Class Name,
General Rules. The note is confusing and not needed.  Add the following note
in its place.

"NOTE 1 The class name is returned in national characters and might not be
suitable for use where an exact case-sensitive class name is required."

9)                  Page 5, 1 Introduction, remove second paragraph with its
associated bullets.  This paragraph provides no useful information.

Editorial Changes

10)              Throughout the document, increase spacing after the word
"NOTE" for all notes.

11)              Page vi, change second paragraph to read "Part 2" instead
of "Part 3".

12)              Page 20, 6 Iterator class, first paragraph after interface
definition, add a comma after "2.1.5".

13)              Page 20, 6 Iterator class, note after first paragraph after
interface definition, last sentence, change "may" to "might".

Page 20, 6 Iterator class, last paragraph, last sentence is miss

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298