Subject: N 3886-Meeting Report of the 31 March 2005 SC 22 Ad Hoc on Future Directions for SC 22

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:38:54 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N 3886

TITLE: 

Meeting Report of the 31 March 2005 SC 22 Ad Hoc on Future Directions for SC
22

DATE ASSIGNED: 

2005-04-14

SOURCE: 

Ad Hoc Convener (J. Hodgson)

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 

Meeting Report

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: 

For information.   

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 

FYI 

DUE DATE: 

DISTRIBUTION: 

Text

CROSS REFERENCE: 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 

Open 

Address reply to: 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918 

Fax:             (212) 840-2298 

Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

_______________end of cover page, beginning of document______________

Report on the Meeting of the SC22 Ad Hoc Committee on Future Directions for
SC22.

Philadelphia PA. USA

March 31st 2005.

Mr.  Moore presented a report (N3861) on the work of the subcommittee on
High Integrity Systems.

The sub committee makes two recommendations:

1. That SC 22 should create a distinct study group "Programming

   Language Support for High Integrity Applications"

This group should develop an NP to initiate work on these topics, using an
incremental approach to standards development. That is to start with a TR3,
follow it with a TR2 and eventually a standard.

The study group will prepare an NP and

submit it for ballot. Ballot resolution would be performed at the plenary
meeting.

2. Further study should be undertaken as to the desirability of work

   on Meta-language constructs and other language independent means

   of improving software quality.

   In particular the study group should be continued at the plenary so

   that it can continue to investigate the idea of meta-language constructs.

Kurokawa-san presented the Japanese contribution (N3857) on standards
education. An eventual goal is to create educational programs leading to the
creation of professional standardizers. An interim measure would create a
virtual Institute for Standards education. 

The Ad Hoc  on future directions for SC22 supports Japan's proposal to
organize a workshop on the creation of Educational materials for
standardizers at the earliest possible date. 

The Ad Hoc will present a resolution to SC22 to ask for JTC1's support for
further work on standards education stated by the Japanese workshop.

The Ad Hoc  on future directions for SC22 recommends that the JTC 1
standards should be provided at no or  nominal cost  to students and
teachers for educational purposes.

Mr. Hill presented the UK contribution  (N3862)  to the meeting.

Several of the ideas can be subsumed under the general heading "Guide lines
for Applications development". There is some overlap with SC7 and ISO/IEC
9126-1 in this area. It was decided that the Ad Hoc would recommend to SC22
the ireactivation of the liaison with SC7 with a view to the creation of a
JWG with SC 7 reporting to SC22. This JWG would be charged to produce an NP
on  "Guide lines for Applications development".

Finally the Ad Hoc discussed the Final Report of the ISO Advisory Group on
Security. The Ad Hoc charged the chair of SC22 to write to

JTC1 on behalf of SC22 addressing the following points.

1. The final report does not seem to address the full breadth of JTC1's
involvement in security 2. JTC1 should directly involve itself in the
preparation of the proposed security guide.

3. SC22 is already involved in Security and Vulnerability issues. For
example the projects initiated by Mr. Moore's sub committee.

4. Because SC27's scope specifically excludes mechanisms it overlooks the
role that SC22 can provide through language support.

5. JTC1's report on security should note SC22's forward looking actions in
this area.

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298