Subject: SC22 N2441 - JSG Venue/Agenda for June 30-July 1 Meeting

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 16:48:01 -0500 (EST)

___________________beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2441

March 1997

TITLE:               Venue Notice and Draft Agenda for SC22/JSG (Java*
                     Study Group) Meeting on June 30-July 1, 1997 in
                     London, United Kingdom

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           N/A

STATUS:              N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:     N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:       Venue Notice and Draft Agenda for SC22/JSG Meeting

ACTION:              To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

*  Java is a trademark of Sun Microsystems

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________end of title page; beginning of text __________________

Subject: JSG Meeting Announcement, June 30-July 1, 1997, London

The next meeting of the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 Java Study Group Will be held
Monday and Tuesday, June 30 and July 1, 1997, at the headquarters of the
British Standards Institute (BSI) in London, England.

This meeting announcement is being issued now so that Member Bodies and
Delegations can make appropriate preparations. The meeting depends on
certain actions and events occurring before the meeting. I hope that
everything comes together, but if there is no reason for the meeting, it
should not be held.

I am sure that many people have already made arrangements based on our
preliminary plans (as I have). I will keep everyone on the JSG e-mail list
informed about progress. I expect to decide finally about potential meeting
cancellation by the end of April. More details will follow. Your comments
about the need for a meeting are welcome.

BSI is conveniently located next to the Gunnersbury Station (District
Line), so it is convenient to most hotels in London. BSI has arrangements
with some hotels for special rates. This information is in the process of
being made available on the Web so I don't want to duplicate it here.
Appropriate pointers will be posted when I have them.

The meeting will take place from 9:00am to 6:00pm each day. Advanced
registration is expected for ISO meetings and is particularly necessary in
this case because of the building security arrangements. You should reply
directly to me and I will prepare a list for BSI and posting to the JSG
mailing list.

The agenda has three major potential items:

1. Any action that might be appropriate related to the Fast Tracking of
ECMA Script. (I do not expect this to be a major item of discussion. This
study group had a broad charter from SC22 that includes ECMA Script and I
expect there will have been ECMA action on this standard by the time of our
meeting. This item alone does not justify the meeting.)

2. Drafting and approving a report to SC22. (I circulated a draft outline
over a month ago. I think the report could be prepared and even voted on
the e-mail list if the next item does not occur. I will be posting and
prompting discussion of the draft report. In my opinion, neither of these
first two items justify the meeting, although they might be more
conveniently handled at a meeting.)

3. Discussion of Sun's submission of Java, JVM, or related technologies to
the standards process. (I just don't know whether Sun will have made a
decision at that time and I certainly don't know what that decision might
be.)

Advanced discussion of these topics (or suggestions for other topics) is
welcome.

Bob Mathis, Convener ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 Java Study Group

________________________end of document SC22 N2441 ___________________