Subject: SC22 N2431 - SC22 Chairman Report of February JTC 1 Ad Hoc IT Meeting

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:04:53 -0500 (EST)

(Please note that this document includes one item that will require action
at the SC22 Plenary in August 1997.)
_______________________beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

March 1997

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2431

TITLE:             SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC 1 Ad Hoc on IT Meeting,
                   February 25-27, 1997 in Reston, Virginia, USA

SOURCE:            Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:         N/A

STATUS:            Please note that this document includes on item that
                   will require action by SC22 at the August 1997
                   Plenary.  It also includes a request from the SC22
                   Chairman for any comments or concerns on the work of
                   the Ad Hoc.

CROSS REFERENCE:   N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:     N/A

ACTION:            To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for
                   information or action as applicable.

                   SC22 Member Bodies should be prepared to take action
                   at the August SC22 Plenary on the issue of file
                   discussed in document JTC 1 N4571 attached.

                   Any comments or concerns on the work of the Ad Hoc
                   should be forwarded to the SC22 Chairman by May 31,
                   1997.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]
____________________end of title page; beginning of text ________________

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22                                        
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC1 Ad Hoc on IT Meeting

I participated on your behalf at the meeting of the JTC1 Ad Hoc on
Implementing Information Technology that met in Reston, Virginia, USA on
25-27 February 1997.  The Ad Hoc made considerable progress in developing
policy and guidance that will be important for the JTC1 transition to
web-server based operation.  Important outputs of the Ad Hoc are as
follows: 

1. Documents relating to Web-based operation: 

* JTC1 N4571, JTC1 Policy for Electronic Document Distribution using the
World Wide Web.  This document is being distributed for comment at this
time; the Ad Hoc expects to revise it as necessary and forward it for
ballot after its June meeting.  It repeats much of the file formatting
information in the diskette-based policy document and adds requirements
specifically relating to web-server based distribution.  A copy is
attached. 

	This document will be very important for SC22 since, under the
JTC1 transition plan, we will need to move to this mode of operation by
the end of this year.  If you have comments on it, the best approach is to
have them submitted through your National Body during the comment period.
Please also let me know any concerns you have so that I may represent SC22
concerns at the Ad Hoc meeting.

	Please note that there is a new requirement regarding file
formats.  A new paragraph has been added to the section on acceptable file
formats which recognizes that "in certain cases, standards documents may
be prepared which utilize other formats to provide machine readable
content."  Specific JTC1 approval for use of such formats will need to be
sought by the appropriate SC.  If granted, approval does not remove the
need to provide a copy for distribution of the human readable content in
one of the formats on the acceptable list.  (In this connection, TTCN was
removed from the old acceptable list since it was considered to be but one
example of formats in this category.)
	
	This will require SC22 action at our plenary.  If this document is
approved (as expected), we will need to submit a request (with a brief but
convincing justification) for every standard where we are using
development software that is not on the acceptable list.

* JTC1 N4572, JTC1 Web Server Policy.  This document describes minimum
requirements for JTC1 and SC web page structure, web server content, and
web server maintenance.  The Ad Hoc requested that a 60-day JTC1 ballot be
issued for approval.  A copy is attached. 

* JTC1 N4576, Tips and Techniques for JTC1 Web Pages.  We will distribute
this separately for information. 

2. Other documents: 

* JTC1 N4558.  JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution using
diskettes and e- mail.  This is a revision of JTC1 N4246 Rev. and is being
distributed to JTC1 for a 60- day approval ballot.  Among other things,
this document now includes in Annex D an updated version of the Document
Classification List.  Eventually, this will also be moved into JTC1 N4571
as well, but since that has not yet happened, we will distribute N4558
when we get a good copy.  (The version at the Ad Hoc was missing part of
the Annex D table so we need to wait for the JTC1 Secretariat's
distribution of the document.) 

	Please note carefully the Document Classification List in Annex D. 
It has been updated to reflect the response from the ISO Central
Secretariat approving the JTC1 request for freely available access to WDs
and CDs. 

* JTC1 N4560, JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution.  This
document is intended to pull together the documents to be used during the
transition period from paper distribution to web-server based
distribution.  The Ad Hoc requested that a 60-day JTC1 ballot be issued
for approval.  A copy is attached. 

If you have comments or concerns about any of the work of the Ad Hoc on
Implementing Information Technology, please let me know by the end of May. 

Robert H. Follett 
Chairman, JTC1/SC22

Attachments:
A.  JTC1 N4560
B.  JTC1 N4571
C.  JTC1 N4572

          **************************************************

ATTACHMENT A

                                                       ISO/IEC JTC 1 N4560
  [Image]                                                February 26, 1997
                                           Author: IT Implementation adhoc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
JTC 1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution
[ Note:  This is a text printout of a web-based document ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this document is to pull together the documents that define
the electronic formatting practices to be used during the transition period
from paper distribution to web-server based distribution. The two main
documents are :

   * JTC 1 N4558 which covers the policy on using diskettes and email for:
        o communications between the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Secretariat and the JTC
          1 National Bodies,
        o communications between the JTC 1 Secretariat and its directly
          reporting subsidiary bodies
          (e.g., JTC 1 Subcommittees (SCs) and Special Working Groups), and
        o communications between the JTC 1/SC Secretariats and the JTC 1/SC
          National Bodies,
   * JTC 1 N4571 which covers:
        o policies for implementing a web-based document server

     This document shall be used in conjunction with the ISO/IEC JTC 1
     Directives (current edition) and in a manner that is consistent with
     the policies and procedures of the ISO Central Secretariat and the IEC
     Central Office. National laws and current ISO/IEC policies regarding
     copyright and intellectual property rights shall be respected.

     Additional document references for Electronic Document Distribution
     within JTC 1 are listed in Annex A.

     Excluded from the scope of this document are any procedures or
     practices for communications, document distribution or web-server
     policies below the SC level.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                  Annex A

         Related Documentation for Electronic Document Distribution

   * JTC 1 N 3721 Revised - Strategy Recommendations from ISO/IEC JTC 1 ad
     hoc on IT Implementation Strategy
   * JTC1 N 4367 - Electronic Document Tips and Techniques Guide
   * JTC1 N 4572 - JTC 1 Web Server Policy
   * JTC1 N 4576 - Tips and Techniques for JTC1 Web Pages
   * JTC1 N 4557 - Transition Plan for IT Implementation
   * JTC1 N 4556 - IT Implementation timeline

          **************************************************

ATTACHMENT B

 ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4571

JTC 1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution
using the World Wide Web

1 Scope

This document is to be read and implemented in association with Reston 12. 
Together, these documents define the JTC1 policy for electronic document
distribution using the World Wide Web. 

2 Media

Documents shall be circulated using the World Wide Web. 

ISO, IEC and JTC1 policies require that some information may be made
publicly available while other information must be kept private to defined
recipients.  Privacy arrangements (using password and/or ID protection)
must be incorporated into Web sites.  This protection must include regular
changes, notified to designated recipients in a secure manner. 

3 Formatting and Filing System

The formatting used shall be compatible with HTML v2.0 or higher. 

It is the responsibility of both the source and the recipient to verify
that files are virus-free. 

4 Document Preparation and Distribution

4.1 File Formats

The choice of the file format shall be a function of the type of document
being distributed (i.e., revisable or non-revisable text)1, or any special
needs (e.g., graphics, test suites, use of tables etc.). 

The following file formats are acceptable2: 

 	Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) 
 	Portable Document Format (PDF)ª;
 	Plain DOS Text file, encoded in ISO/IEC 8859-13
 	Microsoft Wordª Version 2.0 or higher;
 	WordPerfectª Version 5.1 or higher.
 	Rich Text Format (RTF)

New DIS balloting procedures will determine the document form to be used
is a matter between the NB and the ITTF and beyond the scope of this
policy.  However, based upon experience, if the final text is then
distributed, PDF is the recommended format. 

It is recognized that in certain cases, standards documents may be
prepared which utilize other formats to provide machine readable content. 
Specific JTC1 approval to use such formats, in a normative manner, should
be sought by the appropriate SC (e.g. for the use of Machine Processable
(Table and Tree Combined Notation (TTCN)) and such approval, if granted,
does not remove the need to provide a copy for distribution of the human
readable content in one of the formats above. 

4.2 Graphics and other Non-Textual Data

Simple graphics embedded in revisable documents should be editable by the
graphics application of the accepted word processing packages.  PDFª
should be used for documents with complex embedded graphics.  When
appropriate, the graphic(s) may be circulated as a separate file in the
directory. 

If the document contains other than simple graphics as described above
(and is being uploaded in revisable form for comment), the graphics should
be uploaded as a separate file(s) in the directory. 

4.3 Document Layout

Publishable documents should be in the published format in accordance with
the ISO/IEC directives or the JTC1|ITU-T collaborative procedures as
appropriate.  Others should be in single column format which is more
readable via electronic media. 

Committees shall make use of the ISO/IEC Forms supplied by the JTC 1
Secretariat.  Technical editors will also be encouraged to make use of the
standards format templates currently being developed by the ISO Central
Secretariat and the IEC Central Office. 

Reston 6 defines the required layout and content of Web pages and gives
additional layout advice. 

4.4 URL Navigation Structure

4.4.1 Directory Naming Schema 
Sub-directories should be created for each document. In order to prevent
introduction of errors into technical documents (e.g., through conversion
which may lead to font changes, page renumbering, etc.), separate files
shall be created for cover sheets, ballot forms and explanatory reports. 
The Secretariat shall use discretion to determine if the cover sheet is
directly attached to administrative documents. 

The directory name shall have eight characters mnemonic using the format
YYNXXXXX where YY is the originating committee (J1 for JTC 1; 07 for SC 7,
etc.) and NXXXXX is the document "N" number.  All directory and file names
shall be in lower case. 

4.4.2 File Naming Schema 
Each file name shall have no more than eight characters mnemonic.
Documents shall be named using the format YYNXXXXa.sss where YY is the
originating committee (J1 for JTC 1; 07 for SC 7, etc.); "NXXXX" is the
document "N" number; "a" identifies specific files (C for "Cover Sheet"; B
for "Ballot Form", T for "Ballot Text" and E for "Explanatory Report) and
".sss" is the software identifier.

If a document replaces an earlier document a new number shall be assigned
(i.e., "N 346 Revised" and "YYNXXXXr.sss" are not permitted.) 

If a document number is over 9999, "NXXXX" indicates the last four digits
of the document number. 

In those instances where the document is stored in multiple files (i.e.,
annexes, graphics, etc.), those file names shall be named using the format
"YYNXXXXz.sss" where "YY" is the originating committee ("J1" for JTC 1;
"07" for SC 7, etc.); "NXXXX" is the document "N" number; and "z" is
serial number of the multiple files (1 for the first file in the series; 2
for the second; etc.); and ".sss" is the software identifier. 

The Read-Me files shall contain descriptions for multiple files.  Annex B
of this document provides examples of valid file names.  All directory and
file names shall be in lower case. 

4.4.3 Application Software Naming Schema 
Each file name shall contain a suffix (.sss) identifying the software
type: 

 	HTML 				.htm
 	Portable Document Format 	.pdf
 	DOS Text File 			.txt
 	Microsoft Word 			.doc
 	WordPerfect 			.wp
 	Rich Text Format .rtf

4.4.4 "Human Readable" Read-Me File 
Each sequential document or batch of documents shall include a
non-compressed DOS text file (ISO 8859-1) which will serve as a directory
for the document(s).  This file shall be named "YYRXXX.txt" were "YY" is
the originating committee, "R "is "Read-Me", and "XXX" is the sequential
issue serial number.  This Read-Me file, when viewed or printed, shall
resemble a document transmittal letter indicating: 

1.	committee ("J1" for JTC 1; "07" for SC 7)
2.	document number (except "N")
3.	backward pointer (i.e., "Replaces N 346")
4.	document type
5.	date assigned ("CCYY-MM-DD")
6.	document title
7.	due date (if applicable)
8.	approximate number of pages in document
9.	issue serial number
10.	source
11.	project number
12.	status (brief description)
13.	action identifier
14.	medium (paper, diskette, email, server)

The line length of any field shall not exceed 75 characters.

This file should also be sent as an email message to the direct electronic
distribution list described in Section 6.1 of this document. 

Circulation of this file does not preclude the need for an entire document
register to be issued as per the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives. 

4.4.5	Downloadable Read-Me File
Each sequential issue shall also include a non-compressed DOS text file
(ISO 8859-1) suitable for downloading into National Body document tracking
databases.  This file shall be named "YYDXXX.txt" were "YY" is the
originating committee, "D" is "Downloadable", and "XXX" is the file serial
number (see Clause 4.5).  This shall be a tab-delimited file containing
the same fields identified in Clause 4.4.4. 

NOTE:  Further information regarding file format (including field size and
record separators) will be provided by the JTC 1 Secretariat staff. 

4.5 Announcement of Document Availability

When new documents are available on the site an email announcement shall
be circulated with the following information: 

1.	committee
2.	date of posting;
3.	sequential issue serial number (i.e.,  Issue 001); 
4. 	document numbers found on the issue (e.g., "N 17, 19, 21"; "N 25-30";
or "Documents in the range of N 100-150"). 

4.6	On-Line Retention and Archiving

Documents shall be retained on-line for at least two years or two Plenary
cycles, whichever is greater.  After this, documents may be removed from
on-line availability and shall be available from the secretariat in a
format at the discretion of the secretariat. 

5.	Compression Utilities

Compression may be used if so agreed by the recipients of the file
distribution.  When compression is used, it shall be compatible with PKZIP. 

6. Direct Electronic Distribution

6.1	Email Lists

Each Secretariat shall establish a list of electronic mail (Email)
addresses that replicates the committee’s formal distribution list as
defined in Section 8.3 of the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives (i.e. the email
list includes Participating (P) and Liaison (L) members, the JTC 1
Secretariat and the ITTF, as well as the appropriate committee officers). 
Any member that does not have an email address may be listed with a
facsimile number. 

In some instances, and only upon written confirmation of the P- or
L-member, responsibility for receipt and distribution of documents may be
delegated to the member’s Head of Delegation or other identified expert. 

Secretariats may establish a separate distribution list including
additional addresses (i.e., individual experts, etc.) for the exchange of
less formal documents. 

Secretariats will notify their SC addressees by Email of the uploading of
new documents as soon as they are uploaded, preferably by issue/batch. 
Each Email will be numbered sequentially and the secretariats will
maintain lists of these Emails. 

6.2 Encoding Utilities

Not appropriate. 

6.3 Electronic Balloting

Ballot forms should be returned to committee secretariats in electronic
format on diskette or via Email.  It is not necessary to return the
balloting form distributed by the Secretariat as long as all relevant
fields are covered in the balloting response. 

As a temporary procedure, to ensure fidelity when a ballot is cast via
Email, an electronic acknowledgment of the vote shall be sent by the
Secretariat. 

Annex A

currently unallocated

Annexes B to E

see N4558 Annexes B to E
1  Identification of "Document Type" is defined in Annex D.
2  As Technology changes, this list shall be reviewed for continued relevancy.
3  See Annex C 

Page {page \\* arabic|7}

          **************************************************

ATTACHMENT C

                                                       ISO/IEC JTC 1 N4572
 [Image]                                                 February 26, 1997
                                                          Author: IT adhoc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISO/IEC JTC 1 Web Server Policy
[ Note:  This is a text printout of a web-based document ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This document is intended to provide policy governing JTC 1 and SC:

  I. Web Page Structure: The minimal structure of web based pages for JTC 1
     and its SCs (jointly referred to simply as committee.) It is not
     intended to dictate structure or content at the WG level.
 II. Web Server Content: The minimal structure/content of JTC 1 and SC web
     servers
III. Web Server Maintenance: Policy concerning the maintenance of those
     web pages

It is expected that National Bodies and Committees will utilize this
document as they begin their web-server implementation. Additional
information is available in JTC1 N4576, Tips and Techniques for JTC1 Web
Pages.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                           I. Web Page Structure

Every JTC 1/SC web page shall contain the following structural elements:
(These elements may appear in any order, however it is highly recommended
that the committee retain the same style for all pages within the
committee's purview.)

  1. Title Block (should have a common "look-and-feel" within the
     committee)
       a. Title of committee with the ISO/IEC logo.
       b. The page author and date created or last modified (preferably
          generated automatically)
       c. A version number
       d. Optional use of a common background image may also be employed.
       e. Optional committee logo if desired
  2. Body - contains information specific to the committee. The use of
     forward navigational pointers is highly recommended
  3. Web Master information - who to contact for errors, suggestions, etc.
  4. Consistent Set of Back Pointers (for example the Parent Committee main
     page, Committee web-page design guidelines, primary site information,
     etc. )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                           II. Web Server Content

Each web server (JTC 1 and SC) shall provide the following, mandatory
information in the form of web pages which conform to the common look and
feel of the Web Page Structure appropriate to the committee.

  1. Description of the Organization Structure of the committee
  2. Committee Membership (List of P, O, L members and the contact
     information for liaisons and rapporteurs)
  3. Committee Meeting schedule
  4. Next meeting information
       a. Agenda
       b. Venue
  5. Program of Work
  6. A single document register for all committee documents
  7. Personnel information on officers and members

Although optional, each secretariat is strongly encouraged to add the
following information as appropriate.

  1. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Page
  2. Ballot information
       a. Due dates
       b. Document number of balloted text
       c. Document number of Summary of Voting
  3. Procedures (which may simply point to the parent committee's
     procedures)
  4. News and Press releases
  5. Links to committee relevant Publications and Standards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                          Web Server Maintenance

  1. PRIVATE vs. PUBLIC web pages
     The committee shall distinguish between public and private pages per
     Annex D to JTC1 N4558

  2. Password Protection
     The server administrator shall provide appropriate limited access to
     non-members by use of group level passwords with appropriate
     notification to users. Non-members attempting to access protected
     pages shall be automatically replied to with a message stating the
     criteria for access.

  3. Data Integrity
       a. Site shall be backed up automatically
       b. All Documents shall contain authorship and timestamp information
          as defined in the Web Page Structure Title Block
       c. There shall be a single source for all documents (no duplication)
       d. Site shall provide automatic virus checking - clean files before
          update or retransmission and notify sender of infected file

  4. Document Registration, Retention and Archival
       a. Hierarchy
          Structured with a register list every 50th document
       b. Access
          - Each register shall show all Document numbers, title, date, due
          date
          - Register entries shall be hot-linked to the actual documents
          - Provisions shall be provided to download documents as a package
          (e.g for documents with enclosures, annexes, drawings, embedded
          data, etc.)
          - Provision shall be made for providing paper printouts of
          documents to those with no web access.
       c. On-line Retention
          Documents shall be retained for a minimum of two years or two
          complete plenary cycles, whichever is greater.
       d. Archival
          After the retention period, documents may be removed from on-line
          availability and shall be available from the secretariat in a
          format at the discretion of the secretariat.

END OF ATTACHMENTS

______________________end of document SC22 N2431 ____________________