Subject: SC22 N2429 - Vote Summary on DPTR 15581 - Fortran Data Ty

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:04:01 -0500 (EST)

_______________________beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2429

March 1997

SUBJECT:              Summary of Voting on Concurrent PDTR Registration
                      and PDTR Ballot for PDTR 15881: Enhanced Derived
                      Type Facilities in Fortran

SOURCE:               Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:            JTC 1.22.02.01.04

STATUS:               The PDTR has been registered as PDTR 15581.

                      Resolution 96-4 (docusment SC22 N2301) approved
                      a change in title for this project to "Enhanced
                      Data Type Facilities".

CROSS REFERENCE:      SC22 N2301, N2318

DOCUMENT TYPE:        Summary of Voting

ACTION:               To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

                      To WG5 for preparation of a Disposition of Comments
                      Report and a recommendation on the further
                      processing of the PDTR.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________end of title page; beginning of overall summary ________________     

                       SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2318
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            11-07-1996
Closing Date:                02-21-1997

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDTR Registration and PDTR Ballot for: Enhanced
          Derived Type Facilities in Fortran

The following responses have been received on the subject of PDTR 
registration:

"P" Members supporting registration without comments:       14

"P" Members supporting registration with comments:           1

"P" Members not supporting registration:                     0

"P" Members abstaining:                                      2

"P" Members not voting:                                      6

The following responses have been received on the subject of PDTR
approval:

"P" Members supporting approval without comments:           14

"P" Members supporting approval with comments:               1

"P" Members not supporting approval:                         0

"P" Members abstaining:                                      2

"P" Members not voting:                                      6

Secretariat Action:

The PDTR has been registered as PDTR 15581.

Please note that Resolution 96-4 from the September 1996 SC22 Plenary
approved a change in the title of this project to "Enhanced Data Type
Facilities" as noted in the comments from the Germany Member Body.

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from Denmark was "Due to lack
of Danish expertise".  The comment accompanying the abstention vote from
Sweden was "Expert resources not available."  The comments accompanying
the affirmative vote from Germany are attached.

WG5 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and a
recommendation on the further processing of the PDTR.

_________end of overall summary; beginnin go detail registration summary _

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY
                            PDTR Registration

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.02.01.04

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDTR Registration and PDTR Ballot for:  Enhanced Derived
          Type Facilites in Fortran
          
Reference Document No:  N2318           Ballot Document No:  N2318
Circulation Date:   11-07-1996          Closing Date:  02-21-1997 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                      Approve Disapprove  Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Belgium                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Denmark                 ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
France                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany                 (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia                (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Switzerland             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
UK                      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

'O' Members

Argentina               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba                    ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( ) 
Hungary                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Republic          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Singapore               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

____________end of registration summary; beginning of approval summary__

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY
                              PDTR Approval

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.02.01.04

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDTR Registration and PDTR Ballot for:  Enhanced Derived
          Type Facilites in Fortran
          
Reference Document No:  N2318           Ballot Document No:  N2318
Circulation Date:   11-07-1996          Closing Date:  02-21-1997 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                     Approve  Disapprove  Abstain Comments Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Belgium                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Denmark                 ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Egypt                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
France                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany                 (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia                (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Switzerland             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
UK                      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

'O' Members

Argentina               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba                    ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Hungary                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Republic          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Singapore               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

_______________end of approval summary; beginning of comments___________

DIN comments on JTC 1/SC22 N 2318 (PDTR Enhanced Data Type Facilities):

"Change all "1996" that refer to IS 1539-1 to "1997".

page i, title:
Change "Enhanced Derived Type Facilities" to "Enhanced Data Type
Facilities".  This is to line up with SC22's change of subject of JTC
1.20.02.01.04.

Page iv, Introduction:
The first paragraph does not fully comply to WG5/N1152, section 3.
Especially, delete "with other new facilities": there might also be
difficulties in integrating with existing features.

Page 1, title:
Change "Data-type enhancements" to "Enhanced Data Type Facilities".

Page 1, section 1.1
First par. is incomplete: mention dummy arguments and function results.

Page 3, section 3.1, last bullet:
Change "On exit" to "If it is currently allocated on exit" -- if it is
not currently allocated, no deallocation and thus no change in the
allocation status occurs.

Page 4, Example:
Before the ALLOCATE statement, add a line
  IF (ALLOCATED(ARRAY)) DEALLOCATE(ARRAY) ! or STOP
It is illegal to allocate a currently allocated array, this should be
checked instead of causing an error in the subsequent ALLOCATE.

page 4, section 3.3:
Change "after execution of the statement" to "after evaluation of the
expression": this allows more economic use of memory, which may be very
important in expressions involving large arrays.

page 6:
Change "optimizations, when" to "optimizations, if"?  To avoid confusion:
isn't it so that the optimization occurs at the time *when* the variable's
allocatable component is allocated, but only *if* the expression's
allocatable component is allocated?

page 7, Example, FUNCTION RP_ADD_R:
Before the assignments, add
  IF (.NOT.ALLOCATED(P1%COEFF)) STOP "P1%COEFF IS NOT ALLOCATED."
  IF (SIZE(P1%COEFF)==0   ) STOP "P1%COEFF HAS SIZE ZERO."
Both conditions would cause problems with the assignments, and should be
checked.

page 7, Example:
Also show the program output.

pages 8+:
Check/update edits to refer to WG5/N1191 or X3J3/96-007r1.

page 12, edit for [109]
Change "allocatec" to "allocated".

________________end of SC22 N2429 ___________________________________