Subject: N 3839-Announcement of I18N Rapporteur

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:45:51 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3839

TITLE:

Announcement of I18N Rapporteur

DATE ASSIGNED:

2004-12-14

SOURCE:

SC 22 Chair

BACKWARD POINTER:

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Information from the Chair

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:

At the September 2004 JTC 1/SC 22 Meeting, the following resolution was
unanimously approved:

Resolution 04-21: Creation of Internationalization Rapporteur Group (I18RG)

Whereas JTC 1/SC 22 notes that the current progression of
Internationalization (i18n) issues within SC 22 have failed to meet
expectations

and whereas SC 22 notes that its WGs have not been effectively using the
expertise available within its current structures on Internationalization
issues,

SC 22 takes the following actions:

1. Disbands SC 22/WG 20;

2. Assigns all of WG 20's responsibilities, including liaisons and remaining
projects, to SC 22 under the guidance of the respective project editors;

3. Directs the SC 22 Chair to ensure that i18n issues are explicitly
addressed during each plenary meeting;

4. Establishes an Internationalization Rapporteur Group (IRG) and, in light
of JTC1 Directives and Resolutions on i18n, instructs it to:

*	Review the existing SC 22 i18n-related projects
*	Canvass SC 22 WGs and SC 22 National Bodies to determine their
current and future i18n requirements
*	Research extra-SC 22 activities related to i18n
*	Recommend to SC 22 

*	How non-project activities related to i18n should be managed within
SC 22, specifically recommending the organizational changes required to
ensure good coordination and progress in i18n issues
*	How existing WG 20 development projects and maintenance activities
should be managed
*	Identify any new i18n projects needed, and how i18n requirements can
be achieved within SC 22 or by SC 22 in conjunction with other standards
bodies and JTC1 subcommittees;

5. Directs the SC 22 Chair to appoint a lead rapporteur for the I18NRG;

6. Directs the lead rapporteur to schedule the first meeting of the I18NRG
(note invitation from Canada, Denmark and Japan); and

7. SC 22 reminds the lead rapporteur of section 7.7.1 of the JTC 1
Directives regarding attendance at meetings.  The lead rapporteur is
instructed to consider and accept, at his discretion, requests from other
interested parties inside and outside the JTC 1 organization in order to
create a balance of interests.

In response to this resolution, the SC 22 Chair has nominated Mr. John
Benito as the I18N Rapporteur.  The first meeting of this group will take
place 16-18 March 2005 in Tokyo.  SC 22 N 3836 contains the meeting
announcement.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:

TEXT

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Open

Address reply to:

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked]

Sally Seitz

Program Manager

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298