Subject: N 3830-Call for Participation to the JTC 1 Special Group on Acces sibility

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:17:20 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 
  
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3830
  
TITLE: 
Call for Participants to the JTC 1 Special Group on Accessibility

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2004-11-06
  
SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 
N/A 
  
DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Call for Participants 

PROJECT NUMBER: 
N/A 
  
STATUS: 
At the 25-29 October 2004 JTC 1 Plenary meeting, the following resolution
was approved by JTC 1:

Resolution 24-Establishment of a Special Working Group on Accessibility
JTC 1 believes that the work in the area of information communication and
technology

standardization for accessibility is a major undertaking, encompassing many
international, regional and local interests.  Additionally, there are
significant standards efforts taking place in ISO, IEC, ITU and the national
and regional standards bodies as well as various consortia/fora and user
groups. 

As identified in its long term business plan and to be responsive to
international, regional, national, and end user requirements in the area of
accessibility, JTC 1 establishes a Special Working Group on Accessibility
with the following Terms of Reference:

The SWG will:

1)  determine an approach, and implement, the gathering of user
requirements, being mindful of the varied and unique opportunities (direct
participation of user organizations, workshops, liaisons)

2)  identify a mechanism to work proactively between meetings to make
forward progress

3)  gather and publish an inventory of all known accessibility standards
efforts

4)  identify areas/technologies where voluntary standards are not being
addressed and suggest an appropriate body to consider the new work

5)  track public laws, policies/measures and guidelines to ensure the
necessary standards are available

6)  through wide dissemination of the SWG materials, encourage the use of
globally relevant voluntary standards 

7)  assist consortia/fora, if desired, in submitting their specifications to
the formal standards process

Membership in the SWG will be open to: 

  ISO/IEC JTC 1 National Bodies and Category A Liaisons

  ISO/IEC JTC 1 SCs with accessibility efforts or concerns (such as SC 35,
SC 36, SC 37)

  ISO or IEC TCs with accessibility efforts or concerns (such as ISO TC 159)

  ITU-T SGs with interests/efforts in accessibility

  Regional standard development and support organizations with accessibility
efforts/concerns (such as ICT SB DATSCG, ETSI HF, ITI, ANEC, CEN TC 224)

  Representatives of consortia/fora (for example, but not limited to) W3C's
WAI, FSG Accessibility Workgroup, the International Ergonomics Association

  Consumer Organizations and User Representatives (the SWG will be
responsible for determining the most appropriate method to identify and
engage such recognized activities)

The SWG on Accessibility will meet twice a year.  To demonstrate the
achievements of the group, a status report will be submitted to JTC 1 after
each SWG meeting as well as at each JTC 1 Plenary.  The US will serve as
Secretariat and Karen Higginbottom is appointed as Convener.

JTC 1 invites the SWG to review, modify and confirm these Terms of Reference
during its initial meeting.

SC 22 National Bodies are asked to identify any individuals who wish to
participate on the Special Working Group on Accessibility and inform the SC
22 Secretary by 15 January 2005.

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
ACT

DUE DATE: 15 January 2005 
  
DISTRIBUTION: 
Text

CROSS REFERENCE: 
  
DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
Open 
  
Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Sally Seitz 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4918 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked] 

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298