Subject: N3810-Meeting Report of the Future Directions for SC 22 Ad Hoc Se ssion, 6 September 2004

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:53:36 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3810

TITLE:

Conveners Meeting Report of the Future Directions for SC 22 Ad Hoc Session,
6 September 2004

DATE ASSIGNED:

2004-09-15

SOURCE:

Ad Hoc Convener (J. Hodgson)

BACKWARD POINTER:

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Meeting Report

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:

This document was prepared by the Ad Hoc Convener.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:

TEXT

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

open

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

___________________end of cover page, beginning of document____________

Ad Hoc on Future Directions for SC22.

This document summarizes the discussions during the ad hoc. A more

detailed report on the discussion is included in the recording

secretary's notes  N 3811. 

Sally Seitz agreed to act as recording secretary.

The group identified a number of areas where SC22 might be able to

take initiatives. The need to produce standards that will be useful to

SC22's ``customer base'' is a paramount consideration. It will be

helpful to carry out some exploratory work to determine what kind of

standards would be useful to this base. Mr. Diamond suggested that

industrial consortia such as POSC in the Oil industry could be

consulted with a view to determining what kind of language standards

would be of interest to them.

Mr. Moore had submitted a document (N3?) proposing work in the area of 

support for High Integrity applications. The group discussed this at

some length and adopted it as an area for further study.

Inter-language communication was another area that was considered. The

group decided that libraries, for example windowing libraries, are

potentially an area where an SC22 standard could be viable. This too

was adopted for further study.

The need for Standards education is the final area where the ad hoc

endorsed further study. This issue of educating the public about

SC22's work as a way of encouraging greater participation in SC22's

work has come up before. Finding alternate venues, such as professional

conferences,  to the SC22 plenary for a workshop on SC22's activities

might be one way to proceed.

 

Action Items.

Mr. Hodgson will coordinate a meeting of the Ad Hoc group to be held

in Philadelphia. PA in March 2005. This meeting will consider the

written work if the subgroups charged to explore Opportunities and Risks for

SC22 in each of the following areas:

Support for High Integrity Applications.   Mr. J. Moore

Libraries                                  Mr. J. Hodgson with

                                           the assistance of

                                                               Mr. J.
Benito.

Industrial Consortia                       Mr. J. Hill and

                                           Mr. J. Diamond

Standards Education                        Mr. Kurokawa

Agenda time will be given only to those items for which documents are 

submitted.

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298