Subject: N 3807-Summary of Comments on SC 22 N 3758, SC 22/WG 9 Request fo r National Body Contributions on Implementation of Coded Character Sets i n Ada

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:35:05 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3807

TITLE:

Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3758, SC 22/WG 9 Request for National Body
Contributions on Implementation of Coded Character Sets in Ada

DATE ASSIGNED: 

2004-09-08

SOURCE: 

SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

N/A 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 

Summary of Voting 

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: 

This document is circulated to SC 22 National Bodies for information.  SC
22/WG 9 is instructed to take these comments into consideration.

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 

FYI

DUE DATE: 

N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 

TEXT 

CROSS REFERENCE: 

SC 22 N3758

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 

Def 

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298 

Email:  [email-masked] 

_______________end of cover page, beginning of
document___________________________________________________

SUMMARY OF COMMENTS ON SC 22 N 3758, SC 22/WG 9 REQUEST FOR NATIONAL BODY
CONTRIBUTIONS ON IMPLEMEMTATION OF CODED CHARACTER SETS IN ADA

This document contains the comments received in response to this document.
The following P members supported this document without comments: Canada,
Denmark, France, United Kingdom.

Below are the comments received from Belgium, which supports the document:

"Please note the Belgian position on these documents.

- Resolution 46-7    Belgium national body supports the approach as
described in the appended document,

- SC 22 N3758        the approach described in document 22N3758 for the
implementation

            of coded character set support in Ada is satisfactory; 

            Important note:  there is a small error approximately in

             the middle of document 22N3758: the first line in the syntax
rule

            for "identifier_extend":

             identifier_extend ::= identifier_letter |

              should be

             identifier_extend ::= identifier_start |

SC22 resolution 04-xx   Belgium vote affirmatively on Resolution 04-xx:

  Implementation of Coded Character Sets in the Ada Language: JTC 1/SC

  22 agrees that the proposed Ada implementation of coded character set

  support described by SC 22/WG 9 in document 22 N 3758 agrees with the

  principles for coded character set support previously adopted by JTC

1/SC 22, notably resolution 02-24."

Below are the comments received from Germany, which does not support the
document:

"German vote on ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22 N 3758 :

DIN (Germany) states its disapproval of the proposal (in its present form)
made in SC 22 N3758 and gives the following reasons: 

DIN strongly suggests that Ada follow the guidance given in Annex A
"Recommended extended repertoire for user-defined identifiers" of TR

10176:2002 (4th edition) for the use of UCS characters in identifiers. This
list of characters for identifiers is synchronized against ISO/IEC
10646-1:2000 and Unicode 3.

Annex A will be kept in sync with future editions of ISO/IEC 10646 and the
Unicode standard.

Defining such a repertoire specifically for Ada is likely to invite numerous
interoperability issues with other languages.

In its present form SC22 N3758 makes numerous references to character
properties exclusively defined in the Unicode standard while maintaining
that "This proposal is based on ISO/IEC 10646:2003. While this proposal
contains references to Unicode, the amendment text will be carefully phrased
to avoid such mentions".

DIN lauds the intention to add new types to Interfaces.C that correspond to
char16_t and char32_t as defined in upcoming ISO/IEC TR 19769."

 

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298