Subject: SC22 N2413 - Announcement of Workshop on Metadata Registration

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:43:38 -0500 (EST)

___________________beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2413

March 1997

TITLE:             Announcement of a Joint Workshop on the Registration
                   of Metadata, July 8-11, 1997, Berkeley, California

SOURCE:            Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:         N/A

STATUS:            N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:   N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:     N/A

ACTION:            To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for
                   information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________end of title page; beginning of text ___________________

Joint Workshop on Metadata Registries Announcement

This is to announce a workshop of invited participants on how to improve
access to and sharing of data by harmonizing metadata standards and
developing interoperable metadata registries accessible by the World Wide
Web. A central goal of the workshop will be to develop detailed
recommendations for registries of data element metadata and higher-level
metadata (e.g., for schemas, models, and metamodels), especially for
disciplinary, national and international standards, and Electronic Data
Interchange (EDI). The workshop will bring together researchers in formal
methods (from the knowledge representation and database communities), and
other researchers, practitioners, and vendors from the database, standards,
registry, repository, middleware, GIS, EDI, and digital library
communities.

This meeting will be open to members of relevant standards committees,
but since workshop space is limited (60 to 75 participants maximum),
anyone who intends to participate must submit their information form
and some kind of contribution by March 7, 1997.

Dates and Location:

   * July 8-11, 1997, Tuesday through Friday - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

   * Clark Kerr Campus Conference Center, University of California,
     Berkeley, California

WWW Documents:

   * Call for Participation

        http://www.lbl.gov/~olken/EPA/Workshop/call.html

   *  Workshop Home Page

        http://www.lbl.gov/~olken/EPA/Workshop/index.html

Key Dates:

 March 7, 1997    Papers/abstracts and information forms due
                  (contributions need to address metadata registries
                   in some way -- please see the Call for Participation)
 April 14, 1997   Program Committee Meeting (Berkeley, Calif.)
 April 18, 1997   Invitations issued
 June 8, 1997     Early registration forms and fees due
 July 8-11, 1997  Workshop convenes

___________________end of text; beginning of JTC 1 title page ________

ISO/IEC JTC 1                                                         
Information Technology                                                

ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 4538                   

DATE:  1997.02.10     

REPLACES                                     

DOC TYPE:
Meeting Announcement                                                  

TITLE:
Announcment of a Joint Workshop on the Registration of Metadata, 8-11 
July 1997, Berkeley, California                                       

SOURCE:
Workshop Organizers                                                   

PROJECT:                   

STATUS:
This workshop was approved via JTC 1 Paris resolution 28.  SC         
Secretariats are requested to distribute this announcement to their   
SCs for information.                                                  

ACTION ID:  FYI 

DUE DATE:            

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members                                             

MEDIUM:  D

DISKETTE NO.:  109       

NO. OF PAGES:  2         

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 
West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932;    
Facsimile:  1 212 398 0023; Email:  [email-masked]                 

____________________end of SC22 N2413 _______________________________