Subject: N 3775-Report of the National Body of Japan to the JTC 1/SC 22 Pl enary Meeting

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:50:18 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N 3775

TITLE:

Report of the National Body of Japan to the JTC 1/SC 22 Plenary Meeting

DATE ASSIGNED:

2004-07-26

SOURCE:

National Body of Japan

BACKWARD POINTER:

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Other (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:

This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under agenda
item 7.1.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:

Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

OPEN

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked]

___________________________end of cover page beginning of
document_____________________

Japan National Activity Report to the Plenary Meeting of JTC 1/SC 22,
September 2004

1. National Activities for International Standardization in Japan

- SC 22 of Information Technology Standards Commission of Japan (ITSCJ) is
working as a Japanese National Committee for ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22. SC 22
meetings are held 6 times per year and some additional ad-hoc meetings are
held if necessary.

- There were ten working groups (COBOL WG, Fortran WG, Ada WG, C WG, Lisp
WG, Prolog WG, POSIX WG, C++ WG, Internationalization WG and Language
Independent Issues WG), but Internationalization WG was disbanded in March
2004. There are no corresponding WG to WG 3 (APL) from the beginning. VDM/SL
and Z are covered by another group (Formal Description Technique Sub Working
Group) in ITSCJ with close liaison with our SC 22.

- Each group has been participating actively in the corresponding
international working group.

- Additional activities to be reported are as follows:

Linux Study Group

- Japan has much interest in making International Standards for Linux and
its related functionalities. Japan has sent his contributions at every
opportunity and held Linux Rapporteur Group meeting in Tokyo this February.
We presented at the meeting our technical requirements (SC 22 N3695 and
N3709), our concern (N3696), and two Linux related activities in Japan,
Japan Embedded Linux Consortium (N3708) and the Asia OSS Roundtable (N3716).
We are satisfied with the recommendations adopted at the meeting.

C# JIS committee

- Last year, we have formed a C# JIS committee to prepare JIS translation of
C# language specification. We submitted final documents to JISC (through
JSA) on March 31, 2004. We thank ECMA TC39 TG2 and TG3 for their valuable
help.

CLI JIS Committee

- Upon the completion of the work on C# JIS, we have established ad hoc
committee on CLI JIS translation, which have successfully transitioned to
the official CLI JIS drafting committee. We plan to finish the work by March
2005. We have advantage that most experts on C# JIS remains for this CLI
JIS. And ECMA TC39 people are helping us and we will try to continue to
attend the TC39 meetings. However, there are some difficulties in dealing
with very different format and various terminologies including securities.

COBOL WG

- Mr. Wataru Takagi, a member of COBOL WG, has been working as the Project
Editor for TR 19755, Information technology -- Programming languages --
Object finalization for Programming language COBOL.  TR 19755 was published
in December 2003.

- For ISO/IEC 1989:2002, Information technology - Programming languages -
COBOL, the corresponding JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) draft is under
development. Its publication is expected to be by the end of year 2004.

C WG

- Translation work of ISO/IEC 9899:1999 started in October 1999 and has been
completed in 2003. JIS standard was published on 2003-12-20.

C++ WG

- Translation work of ISO/IEC 14882:1998 into Japanese started in May 1999
and has been completed in 2003. JIS standard was published on 2003-12-20.

LISP WG

- This WG prepared a draft technical corrigendum and a draft corrected
reprint for the ISLISP document ISO/IEC 13816, based on the comments
collected during the process of preparing the Japanese standard document JIS
X 3012. These drafts were discussed with the Project Editor of WG 16 at an
informal meeting held in Cambridge, and are being refined for submission to
WG 16.

Internationalization WG

- This WG was disbanded in March, 2004. The remained matters of JTC 1/SC
22/WG 20 are directly discussed in our SC 22 itself.

2. Development of National Standards

The Japanese national standards are known as Japanese Industrial Standards
(JISs). The current status of JISs in the area of SC 22 is as follows: 

1) JISs established before 2003

- C (JIS X 3010: 1993) = ISO/IEC 9899:1990

- C (JIS X 3010: 1996) = ISO/IEC 9899 AMD 1:1995

- COBOL (JIS X 3002: 1992) = ISO/IEC 1989:1985 + AMD 1

- ECMAScript (JIS X 3060: 2000) = ISO/IEC 16262:1998

- Fortran Part 1 (JIS X 3001-1: 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997

- Fortran Part 2 (JIS X 3001-2: 2002) = ISO/IEC 1539-2: 2000

- Fortran Part 3 (JIS X 3001-3: 2000) = ISO/IEC 1539-3:1999

- Framework for Internationalization (JIS TR X 0030: 2000) = ISO/IEC TR
11017: 1998

- Full BASIC (JIS X 3003: 1993) = ISO/IEC 10279: 1991

- Guidelines for Programming Language Standards Preparation (JIS TR X 0031:
2001)= ISO/IEC TR 10176: 1998

- ISLisp (JIS X 3012: 1998) = ISO/IEC 13816:1997

- MUMPS (JIS X 3011: 1995) = ISO/IEC 11756:1990

- Pascal (JIS X 3008: 1994) = ISO/IEC 7185:1990

- PCTE Part 1 (JIS X 3050: 1996) = ISO/IEC 13719-1:1995

- POSIX Part 1 (JIS X 3030: 1994) = ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990

- POSIX Part 2 (JIS X 3031: 2001) = ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993

- Prolog Part 1: General Core (JIS X 3013: 2001) = ISO/IEC 13211-1:1995

- Ada (JIS X 3009: 2002) = ISO/IEC 8652:1995

2) JISs published in FY2003

- C (JIS X 3010: 2003) = ISO/IEC 9899:1999 and Technical Corrigendum:2001

- C++ (JIS X 3014: 2003) = ISO/IEC 14882:2003 (second edition) 

3) JISs prepared in FY 2003 and to be published in FY 2004

- C# language specification (ISO/IEC 23270:2002)

- COBOL (ISO/IEC 1989:2002)

4) Draft JISs being prepared in FY 2004

- CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) (ISO/IEC 23271:2002)

========================================================== 

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298