Subject: N 3769-SC 22/WG 11 Convener's Letter to SC 22 on Status of SC 22 Website

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:31:42 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3769

TITLE:

SC 22/WG 11 Convener's Letter to SC 22 on Status of SC 22 Website 

DATE ASSIGNED:

2004-07-26

SOURCE:

SC 22/WG 11 Convenor (W. Wakker)

BACKWARD POINTER:

N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Other document (Defined)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:

This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 6.4.2.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

N/A

DISTRIBUTION:

Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Defined

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

___________________end of cover page, beginning of document___________

Dear SC22 Members,

On May 14 2004, Keld Simonsen informed us that he moved the

SC22 website from www.dkuug.dk to www.open-std.org, and that the SC22 email
addresses were changed in a corresponding manner.

The websites of the WG's that were hosted on www.dkuug.dk were moved as
well. The reason given in the email was 'a faster internet connection and a
newer system'. Later I heard that these were not the only (or even the most
important) reasons.

Omitting background details, the facts are as follows:

- the decision to make the move was made by Keld, without consultation of
any of the chairs or secretariats;

- the open-std domain is owned by Keld, and has nothing to do with the
Danish Unix User's Group DKUUG;

- the DKUUG has expressed (although I do not know whether this was formal or
informal) their willingness to continue to support the SC22 websites;

- the SC2 websites, also hosted by DKUUG, were moved by Keld in a similar
manner to the open-std domain; in SC2 the move created lost of unrest and by
recent SC2 plenary decision, the website is moved back again to the DKUUG
domain (although there is still an now outdated 'home page' at
open-std.org!).

This has lead to a rather unclear situation: we now have an

www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22 website (announcing itself as 'the official SC22
site'), while there is still also the

www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22 website that looks identical, but (possibly? most
likely?) will gradually stay behind in development (the latest emails can
only be found at the open-std site).

Furthermore, because of the long period that the dkuug site was operational
for SC22, there are very many links on the Internet pointing to the dkuug
site, and it would be rather unfortunate (to put it mildly) if all these
links suddenly were rendered invalid. The same is also true for all dkuug.dk
hosted SC22 WG's.

I think that at the SC22 Plenary a decision needs to be made on how to
resolve this problem. I have always very much appreciated all the work that
Keld (and through Keld, DKUUG) has done to support the SC22 websites, but
the current situation SHOULD be corrected as soon as possible. One way of
avoiding divergence between the two domains is to 'redirect' the one to the
other; this has already been done for WG14 and WG21: accesses to

www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg14 are directly redirected to
www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14. I have asked Mr. Peter Toft of DKUUG to
install such a redirect for WG11 as well, but nothing has happened yet (note
that I have Cc-ed Mr. Toft on this email).

In my opinion the ideal situation would be to merge back the two domains to
dkuug.dk; but without wanting to pre-empt the

SC22 Plenary discussions, in the mean time I would strongly advise that the
two domains are 'mapped' in one way or another onto each other, and that
there is one official and agreed-upon email store.

I realise that ANSI is looking into the option of replacing the current SC22
system with a Livelink based system; although the issues involved are
related, I would suggest to not include that activity in the current
discussions as it only confuses the issues.

Best regards,

- Willem Wakker.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Willem Wakker                                  email: <[email-masked]>

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

ACE Consulting bv                                 tel: +31 20 664 6416

De Ruyterkade 113                                 fax: +31 20 675 0389

1011 AB  Amsterdam, The Netherlands             www:  <http://www.ace.nl/>
http://www.ace.nl

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298