Subject: N 3768-SC 22/WG 11 Business Plan/Convener's Report

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:30:54 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3768

TITLE:

SC 22/WG 11 Business Plan/Convener's Report 

DATE ASSIGNED:

2004-07-26

SOURCE:

SC 22/WG 11 Convenor (W. Wakker)

BACKWARD POINTER:

N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:

This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 8.5.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

N/A

DISTRIBUTION:

Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Open

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

_______________End of cover page, beginning of document____________

WG11 Business Plan/Convener Report                  SC22/WG11 N491

BUSINESS PLAN FOR JTC 1/SC22 WG11

PERIOD COVERED: August 2003  -  July 2004

SUBMITTED BY:

        W. F. Wakker (Convener JTC 1/SC22 WG11)

        ACE Consulting bv

        De Ruyterkade 113

        1011 AB, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Email:  [email-masked]

1.  MANAGEMENT SUMMARY:

1.1  JTC 1/SC22 WG11 Statement of Scope

Development of ISO/IEC Standards and Technical Reports related to Binding
Techniques and (Programming) Language Independent Issues.

1.2  Project Report

1.2.1  Completed Projects

JTC1.22.14 -- TR 10182:1994 - Language Bindings Guidelines

JTC1.22.17 -- ISO/IEC 11404:1996 - Language Independent Datatypes

JTC1.22.16 -- ISO/IEC 13886:1996 - Language Independent Procedure Calling

JTC1.22.28 -- ISO/IEC 10967-1:1994 - Language Independent Arithmetic,

              Part 1: Integer and Floating Point Arithmetic

JTC1.22.33 -- ISO/IEC 10967-2:2001 - Language Independent Arithmetic,

              Part 2: Elementary Numerical Functions

JTC1.22.46 -- TR 14369:1999 - Guidelines for the Preparation of Language

              Independent Service Specifications

1.2.2  Projects Underway

JTC1.22.33 --  CD 10967-3 - Language Independent Arithmetic,

               Part 3: Complex Floating Point Arithmetic and Complex

               Elementary Numerical Functions

The FCD 10967-3 ballot is currently underway (see document SC22 N3754) and
closes on 2004-10-30.

The revision of IEC 60559 (also known as IEEE 754, the floating-point

standard) is closely followed to see whether this revision has consequences
for the LIA documents.

JTC1.22.17 -- ISO/IEC 11404:200x - General Purpose Datatypes

ISO/IEC 11404 is under revision; the first CD of the revision (see document
SC22 N3612) was registered and approved (see SC22 N3698).

A road-map for this revision was distributed to SC22 as document N3620.

The final CD is expected to be available by September 2004.

It is remarkable that many organizations outside SC22 (like SC32 - Data
management and Interchange, and the W3C consortium) are interested in this
specification.

1.3  Cooperation and Competition

The WG11 documents are mainly produced to be used by other programming
language committees.

Therefore, WG11 maintains liaisons with many of the SC22 WGs.

In order to improve the usability of the WG11 documents, especially outside
JTC1, it is beneficial to make these documents freely available.

The WG11 Technical Reports 10182 and 14369, as well as ISO/IEC 11404:1996
and ISO/IEC 13886:1996 are freely available (via ITTF and via the WG11
website).

Once ISO/IEC 10967-3 is finalized, WG11 will request for free availability
of all parts of ISO/IEC 10967.

2.  PERIOD REVIEW

2.1  Market Requirements

There are no clearly defined market requirements for the WG11 projects;
however several ISO/IEC standards make reference to the documents.

There is thus apparently an indirect market requirement.

2.2  Achievements

Despite the sometimes small participation in WG11, a number of high quality
ISO standards have been produced.

2.3  Resources

WG11 resources have been a problem for the past years, and continue to be
so.

Attendance is very low, and project editors are difficult to find.

3.  FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD

3.1  Deliverables

The FCD for LID and FDIS for LIA-3 should be prepared.

3.2  Strategies

3.2.1  Risks

Participation is a clear risk for the progression of the WG11 work.

The SC22 Member Bodies are invited to provide resources so that

WG11 at least can finalize its current work items.

3.2.2  Opportunities

No further opportunities have been identified.

3.2.3  Work Program Priorities

The progression of LIA-3 and the revision of LID have the highest priority.

4.  ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION

4.1  WG11 Liaisons

Liaisons exist with the following SC22 WGs: WG3 - APL,

WG4 - COBOL, WG9 - Ada, WG14 - C and WG20 - Internationalization.

Informal liaisons also exist with SC22/WG13 - Modula-2, SC22/WG19 - Formal
Language Techniques, and SC2 - Characters.

Mr. Frank Farance is acting liaison between SC32/WG2 and WG11 on issues
related to the revision of ISO/IEC 11404.

5.  SC22 PLENARY ACTIONS RELATED TO WG11

No actions requested.

 

 

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298