Subject: N 3763-SC 22/WG 17 Business Plan/Convener's Report

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:26:58 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3763

TITLE:

SC 22/WG 17 Business Plan/Convener's Report 

DATE ASSIGNED:

2004-07-26

SOURCE:

SC 22/WG 17 Convenor (J. Hodgson)

BACKWARD POINTER:

N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:

This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 8.9.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

N/A

DISTRIBUTION:

Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Open

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

________________End of Cover Page, beginning of Document_______________

WG17 Business Plan/Convener Report            

BUSINESS PLAN FOR JTC 1/SC22 WG17

PERIOD COVERED: September 2003 to August 2004

SUBMITTED BY:  Jonathan Hodgson

Convener, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 17

1.  MANAGEMENT SUMMARY:

1.1  JTC 1/SC22 WG17 Statement of Scope

Development and maintenance of ISO/IEC standards related to programming

language Prolog

1.2  Project Report

1.2.1  Completed Projects

ISO/IEC 13211-1,2. Programming language Prolog-part 1 Core and

                                               part 2 Modules

1.2.2  Projects Underway

A technical report on Definite clause grammars. (UK)

A draft on global variables and arrays in Prolog

List here

1.2.3  Projects Withdrawn

None

1.3  Cooperation and Competition

WG17 seeks to cooperate with other groups such as the Association for

Logic Programming to improve  participation in the standards process

2.  PERIOD REVIEW

2.1  Market Requirements

Prolog is a niche language. It is extensively used by a small number of

users mainly for applications in configuration, web and CGI generation,

constraint handling and natural language. 

It is taught in a significant number of universities.

2.2  Achievements

At one point it seemed as though there was not enough interest to

continue WG17's work. However recently enough members of the working

group have indicated that they are willing to continue. 

Roger Scowen has prepared a draft for a technical report on definite clause 

grammars.

2.3  Resources

WG17 meets as needed, usually once a year, and works by electronic

correspondence between meetings. Four countries are participating in

meetings: Germany, Japan, the UK, and the USA.

3.  FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD

3.1  Deliverables

A  technical report on definite clause grammars.

A draft on globals and arrays.

3.2  Strategies

WG17 will seek to add to the pool of Prolog standardizes by co-locating its 

next meeting with ICLP to be held in Barcelona in 2005. 

3.2.1  Risks

WG17 suffers from intermittency of  interest in supporting standardization

efforts.

3.2.2  Opportunities

There are a number of persons interested in Prolog standardization 

but who seek a more `fast track solution'. WG17 will explore ways 

to capitalize on this.

3.2.3  Work Program Priorities

Preparation of drafts for incorporation into a CD for a third part of

ISO/IEC 13211

4.  ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION

4.1  WG17 Liaisons

4.3        WG17 Meetings

4.3.1        Recent Meetings

None.

4.3.2        Future Meetings

Barcelona Fall 2005

5.  SC22 PLENARY ACTIONS RELATED TO WG17

WG17 requests that SC22 consider the possibility of permitting the use

of Professional societies such as ALP (the Association for Logic
Programming) 

as collaborators. To further this WG17 asks SC22 instructing WG17 to set up 

a liaison with ALP, class to be determined by SC22

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298