Subject: SC22 N2134

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:50:28 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their enviornments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

N2134

May 1996

TITLE:                   Value of Standards/Value of JTC 1

SOURCE:                  Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:               N/A

STATUS:                  N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:         N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:           N/A

ACTION:                  To SC22 Member Bodies and Working Group Con-
                         venors for action or information as applicable.

                         SC22 Member Bodies and Working Group Conveners
                         with comments specifically related to the work
                         of SC22 are encouraged to submit these comments
                         to Mr. Robert Follett, SC22 Chairman, NOT LATER
                         THAN APRIL 30, 1996 for forwarding.  SC22 Member
                         Bodies comments not specifically related to 
                         the work of SC22 should be submitted through 
                         their respective National Body.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________________________________________________________________                             

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 01 May 96 15:05:00 edt
From: LISA RAJCHEL <[email-masked]>

Subject: Japan's Homework Assignment

Attached please find document JTC 1 N 4093, Japanese Contribution on JTC 1 
Reengineering addressing the Value of Standards/Value of JTC 1.
National Body and SC contributions are requested on this document by 7 June 
1996.  PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS VIS EMAIL OR DISK SO THAT THEY MAY BE 
DISTRIBUTED VIA EMAIL.

This document is also being sent via facsimile in order to ensure that it 
reaches everyone.[[ JAPAN.TXT : 3850 in JAPAN.TXT ]]

___________________________________________________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4093

Title : Value of Standards/Value of JTC 1
Source: National Body of Japan
Action:   This document is circulated to JTC 1
National Bodies and Subcommittees for review and comment by 7 June 1996.

Standardization, through the formulation of standards and conformity, is
activities by which physical objects or conditions are intentionally reduced 

in number and put into simplified and systematic order in areas where
diversification, complexity and disorder could increase unless it is
applied. Such simplification, systematic order etc. will help promote
world-wide economies and efficiencies and global trade.

In the field of Information Technology, standards are expected to enable IT
suppliers to provide IT users with appropriate means to acquire or manage
information or information systems efficiently, economically, accurately and 

securely. The value of IT standards, accordingly, lies in:

   (1) Offering mechanisms required for interoperability
   (2) Offering a means for maintaining high quality of IT products
   (3) Enhancing the feasibility of multi-vendor systems
   (4) Offering standards that meet business requirements and thereby
enhance trade

Considering the above value of IT standards, the value of JTC1, the premier
provider of IT standards, lies in:

   (1) Offering globally recognized standards that can be adopted as, or
referred to, by national standards.
   (2) Offering the transparent IPR policy
   (3) Offering durable standards.
   (4) Stressing the importance of multi-vendor aspects of its standards as
an important enabler of international commerce
   (5) Being the only one organization that considers internationalization
and culture dependency in developing standards
   (6) Offering solutions stressing modularity and portability from the
outset.
   (7) Clarifying conformance criteria for related standards and providing
such standards as can be bases for certification and accreditation.

Further to the above discussion, new trends in standards activities under
rapidly changing environments should be taken into account in considering
the Value of JTC 1.

In the field of most advanced technologies like Information Technology, such 

moves are becoming more and more prominent among industries as to consider
standards activities as a strategic means for competition. This trend has
been resulting in giving more weight to de facto standards.

De jure standards, regardless of the openness and transparency of their
contents, development processes, developing membership etc., have problems
of slow development speed that could make them obsolete and valueless when
published.

Under such circumstances, the Value of JTC 1 will be enhanced if it can:

   (1) Offer more complete solutions to Standard/IPR issues, e.g.,
protection from Submarine Patent problems
   (2) Offer standards accompanied by reference implementation
   (3) Make more openly and freely available contents of standards, e.g., on 

network, from an early stage of developing processes

end of note

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4093

Title : Value of Standards/Value of JTC 1
Source: National Body of Japan
Action:	This document is circulated to JTC 1 
National Bodies and Subcommittees for review and comment by 7 June 1996.

Standardization, through the formulation of standards and conformity, is 
activities by which physical objects or conditions are intentionally reduced 
in number and put into simplified and systematic order in areas where 
diversification, complexity and disorder could increase unless it is 
applied. Such simplification, systematic order etc. will help promote 
world-wide economies and efficiencies and global trade.
 
In the field of Information Technology, standards are expected to enable IT 
suppliers to provide IT users with appropriate means to acquire or manage 
information or information systems efficiently, economically, accurately and 
securely. The value of IT standards, accordingly, lies in:

   (1) Offering mechanisms required for interoperability
   (2) Offering a means for maintaining high quality of IT products
   (3) Enhancing the feasibility of multi-vendor systems
   (4) Offering standards that meet business requirements and thereby 
enhance trade

Considering the above value of IT standards, the value of JTC1, the premier 
provider of IT standards, lies in: 

   (1) Offering globally recognized standards that can be adopted as, or 
referred to, by national standards.   
   (2) Offering the transparent IPR policy 
   (3) Offering durable standards.
   (4) Stressing the importance of multi-vendor aspects of its standards as 
an important enabler of international commerce
   (5) Being the only one organization that considers internationalization 
and culture dependency in developing standards
   (6) Offering solutions stressing modularity and portability from the 
outset.
   (7) Clarifying conformance criteria for related standards and providing 
such standards as can be bases for certification and accreditation.

Further to the above discussion, new trends in standards activities under 
rapidly changing environments should be taken into account in considering 
the Value of JTC 1.

In the field of most advanced technologies like Information Technology, such 
moves are becoming more and more prominent among industries as to consider 
standards activities as a strategic means for competition. This trend has 
been resulting in giving more weight to de facto standards.

De jure standards, regardless of the openness and transparency of their 
contents, development processes, developing membership etc., have problems 
of slow development speed that could make them obsolete and valueless when 
published.

Under such circumstances, the Value of JTC 1 will be enhanced if it can:

   (1) Offer more complete solutions to Standard/IPR issues, e.g., 
protection from Submarine Patent problems
   (2) Offer standards accompanied by reference implementation
   (3) Make more openly and freely available contents of standards, e.g., on 
network, from an early stage of developing processes

end of note