Subject: N 3739-Disposition of Comments Report for SC 22 N 3722, Summary o f Voting on SC 22 N 3661, FCD Ballot for the revision of ISO/IEC 1539-1: 1997, Programming language-Fortran

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:40:57 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3739

TITLE:

Disposition of Comments Report for SC 22 N 3722, Summary of Voting on SC 22
N 3661, FCD Ballot for the revision of ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997-Programming
language-Fortran

DATE ASSIGNED:

2004-05-18

SOURCE:

WG 5 Convenor (J. Reid)

BACKWARD POINTER:

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:

22.1539

STATUS:

The text of the FCD will be sent to ISO Central Secretariat for FDIS Ballot.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:

TEXT

CROSS REFERENCE:

N3722

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Def

Address reply to:

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked]

 

_______________End of Cover Page, Beginning of Document____________________

             Response to comments on Fortran 2003 FCD

                       Richard Maine

At its May 2004 meeting, WG5 considered all of the ballot comments submitted
on the Fortran 2003 FCD.  WG5 appreciates the comments and believes that
they have resulted in an improved document for the DIS.  Most of the
comments were accepted, as detailed below.

Canadian comments

  T1 - accepted

       Also "an" -> "a" before the proposed edit

  T2 - accepted as is

  T3 - no edit made

       This is discussed in detail in paper J3/04-294.

  E1 - accepted

       Also 4 more cases fixed on [444:10,11]

UK comments

  C1 - accepted

       Also add "in this case," after the semicolon.

  C2 - accepted

       [251:12] Also added a comma at the start of the insert.

       [411:5] Used similar edit from the US comments instead.

  C3 - partly accepted

       [253:35+3] "a module or internal" -> "an internal or module"

       The proposed new note was felt unnecessary.

  C4 - accepted as is

  C5 - partly accepted

       The third edit attempted to fix a problem that cannot occur,

       as explained in 04-291r1.  The edit prohibits a potentially

       useful form.  Therefore, the third edit was not done.

  C6 - accepted as is

  C7 - partly accepted

       WG5 agreed that the existing constraint was inconsistent, but

       felt that there were potential implementation concerns with

       deleting it completely.  Therefore, the constraint was

       instead modified to a simpler and more consistent form.

  C8 - partly accepted

       Debate in WG5 plenary session on the issue of whether

       PRIVATE procedures are allowed to have binding labels lead

       to straw votes in favor of allowing the binding labels.

       Therefore, the proposed edits to disallow them were omitted.

       The other edits were accepted, some with minor editorial

       changes.

  C9 - accepted as is

  E1 - withdrawn

  E2 - accepted as is

  E3 - accepted as is

  E4 - accepted

       Minor editorial changes made.

  E5.1, E5.2 - accepted as is  

  E5.3-E5.5 - withdrawn

US comments

  all accepted

      Minor editorial changes.

ISO Comments

  The responses to the ISO comments are detailed in N1589.

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298