Subject: New Edition, Part 3 of ISO/IEC Directives

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 16:13:08 -0500 (EST)

Greetings:

I have received the new edition of Part 3 of the ISO/IEC Directives.  Part
3 deals with the rules for the structure and drafting of International
Standards.  At the request of IEC, I am taking action to ensure
that the SC22 WG Conveners and Project Editors receive the Directives.
Others should obtain a copy from their National Body.

The new Directive applies to all FDIS registered after September 1, 1998;
however, documents written in accordance with the new edition are
acceptable from now.

Principal changes are detailed in the Foreward and were discussed by Mr.
Follett at the last two Plenaries.  Briefly summarized:

1)  Sections are no longer allowed.  The last edition only allowed
sections within a self-contained publication and their use was synonymous
with that of clauses.  In this edition, sections are replaced by clauses.

2)  A distinction is made between dated and undated references.

3)  A bibliography is now a distinct element and not an informative annex.

4)  Notes are numbered by numbered subdivision of text and not
continuously throughout the text.

5)  Notes to figures and tables may no longer contain requirements.

6)  A new informative annex "Checklist concerning quantities and units"
has been added.

Best regards

Bill Rinehuls