Subject: N3726-LEtter to JTC 1/SC 22 National Bodies Regarding P-member Ob ligations

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:17:39 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3726

TITLE:

Letter to JTC 1/SC 22 National Bodies Regarding P-member Obligations    

DATE ASSIGNED:

2004-03-30

SOURCE:

SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER:

DOCUMENT TYPE:

Information from Secretary and Chair

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:

This letter is being circulated to National Bodies for review and
information.  This topic will be on the agenda for the September 2004 SC 22
Plenary Meeting

ACTION IDENTIFIER:

FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:

TEXT 

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:

Def

Address reply to:

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat

Sally Seitz

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY  10036

Telephone:  (212) 642-4918

Fax:             (212) 840-2298

Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

________End of Cover Page, beginning of document_______________________

30 March 2004

Dear SC 22 Members,

At the 17-21 November 2003 JTC 1 Plenary Meeting in Singapore, JTC 1 passed
the following resolution:

"Resolution 12 B-Threshold for a Ballot to be Considered Valid

JTC 1 resolves that all ballots (at all levels) to be considered valid must
have at least 50% of P members responding (which includes abstentions) in
order for the ballot to be valid.

This is to be implemented in the 5th Edition of the Directives.

JTC 1 further instructs its Secretariat to issue a call for JTC 1 National
Bodies for comments from their National Bodies to further clarify the
implementation of this item.

JTC 1 reminds National Bodies that on technical matters, when a National
Body is not technically involved in the work and/or feels that it does not
have appropriate technical expertise, abstention is an acceptable vote (JTC
1 Directives clause 9.1.2)."

The JTC 1/SC 22 Chair and Secretariat remind SC 22 National Bodies of this
resolution, and would like to especially note that National Bodies who vote
abstention are still noted as have voted.

The SC 22 Chair and Secretariat would also like to remind SC 22 National
Bodies that many votes which have closed in the last year would not be
considered valid, as half the P-members of SC 22 have not voted in them.  It
would be highly undesirable to have SC 22 work halted because votes are not
valid. 

In the coming months, the Chair and Secretariat will evaluate the voting
patterns of SC 22 P members and issue warnings to those P members who do not
vote, as is their obligation under the JTC 1 Directives.

Best regards,

John Hill, SC 22 Chair

Sally Seitz, SC 22 Secretariat

Sally Seitz

Program Administrator

ANSI

25 West 43rd Street

New York, NY 10036

Phone: (212) 642-4918

Fax: (212) 840-2298