Subject: SC 22 N 3694 - Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3632, Combined New Work Item Proposal and PDTR Letter Ballot for a Technical Report on the Conflicts between the ISO/IEC 9945 (POSIX®) Standard and the Linux Standard Base Specification

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:54:33 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3694

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3632, Combined New Work Item Proposal and PDTR
Letter Ballot for a Technical Report on the Conflicts between the ISO/IEC
9945 (POSIX®) Standard and the Linux Standard Base Specification

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2004-01-06

SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 
N/A 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Summary of Voting 

PROJECT NUMBER: 
22.24715

STATUS: 
Per the results of this ballot, and as no comments were received during the
JTC 1 review period, the NWIP has been approved and this project has been
added to the SC 22 Programme of Work.  Please note that this project has
been assigned the ISO/IEC designation "24715".  As there was no
recommendation on the NP form for assignment of the project within SC 22,
the results of this ballot are sent to the Linux Rapporteur Group Meeting
for review and recommendation on where this project should be placed within
SC 22.  This recommendation will be subject to approval by SC 22.  The Linux
Rapporteur Group will not begin any technical work on the project.

The NP summary of voting is located at:
http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/def/n3694.pdf
The PDTR summary of voting is below. The results of the PDTR registration
and approval ballots indicate that this project has been approved as a PDTR.

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
ACT 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 
SC 22 N3632

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
Def 

Matt Deane 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked] 

_____end of cover page, beginning of PDTR registration summary______________

SUMMARY OF VOTING ON 
Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N3632
Circulated by:                JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            2003-08-29
Closing Date:                 2002-11-29
SUBJECT:  Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3632, PDTR Registration of  Technical
Report on the Conflicts between the ISO/IEC 9945 (POSIX®) Standard and the
Linux Standard Base Specification
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
The following responses have been received on the subject of registration: 
"P" Members supporting registration without comments
10 (China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Republic of Korea,
Netherlands, Norway, Ukraine, USA) 
P" Members supporting registration with comments             
1 (UK)
"P" Members not supporting registration
1 (Japan)
"P" Members abstaining                   
1 (Switzerland)
"P" Members not voting                   
12 (Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Finland, France, Ireland, DPR
of Korea, Romania, Russian Federation, Slovenia) 

Japan
Japan disapproves registration of the current WD attached in SC22 N3236 as
PDTR at this moment. Japan believes that the technical contents of the PDTR
must refer to the version of LSB which the Free Standards Group submits to
JTC 1 for transformation of the PAS to an international standard. Since no
one knows what kind of changes may occur from the current version of LSB to
a future version which FSG will submit, and since there should be no strong
reason why JTC 1 need to register PDTR immediately, Japan would suggest to
revise the WD once more in order to make the contents of the WD as conflict
between ISO/IEC 9945 and the DIS of Linux standard, then register the new WD
as PDTR.

UK
As this TR will be used in considering future revisions of the ISO/IEC 9945
standard (POSIX) and any standard resulting from PAS adoption of the Linux
Standard Base specification, in order to harmonise their differences so far
as is possible, the UK recommends that responsibility for both 9945 and
ISO-related Linux activities be assigned to a single Working Group.

__end of registration summary, beginning of approval summary_____

SUMMARY OF VOTING ON 
Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N3632
Circulated by:                JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            2003-08-29
Closing Date:                 2002-11-29
SUBJECT:  Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3632, PDTR Approval of  Technical
Report on the Conflicts between the ISO/IEC 9945 (POSIX®) Standard and the
Linux Standard Base Specification
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval: 
"P" Members supporting approval without comments
7 (China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Republic of Korea, Norway,
Ukraine) 
P" Members supporting approval with comments             
1 (UK)
"P" Members not supporting approval
1 (Japan)
"P" Members abstaining                   
3 (Italy, Netherlands, Switzerland)
"P" Members not voting                   
14 (Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Finland, France, Ireland, DPR
of Korea, Romania, Russian Federation, Slovenia, UK, USA) 

Japan
Japan disapproves to make the current WD as PDTR, since more detailed
description is needed to make the conflicts between ISO/IEC 9945 and LSB
clear. For example, the WD says;
     2.1.2 gethostbyname
     The LSB has its own definition of gethostbyname() and does not
reference ISO/IEC 9945.
 
The description points out that LSB does not refer to ISO/IEC 9945, but does
not point out what technical conflicts exist between LSB's own definition
and ISO/IEC 9945.

Netherlands
We recognize the identified conflicts, but are uncertain whether these are
indeed all the conflicts or whether there are more.  We abstain because we
do have not the time, nor the expertise to assertain that the list is
complete.