Subject: SC 22 N 3686 - Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3619, Free Standards Group Request for Category A Liaison with JTC 1/SC 22

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:06:20 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3686 

TITLE: 
Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3619 - Free Standards Group Request for
Category A Liaison with JTC 1/SC 22

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2003-12-03

SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Summary of Voting 

PROJECT NUMBER: 
N/A 

STATUS: 
Category A liaison status has been approved by JTC 1/SC 22 members.  This
request will be sent to JTC 1 for approval.

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
ACT 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 
SC 22 N3619

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
Def 

Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Matt Deane 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked] 

____end of cover page, beginning of summary of voting___________ 

SUMMARY OF VOTING ON 

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N3619 
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22 
Circulation Date:            2003-08-19
Closing Date:                2003-11-19 
SUBJECT:  Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3619, Free Standards Group Request
for Category A Liaison with JTC 1/SC 22
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval: 

"P" Members supporting sending the Category A liaison request to JTC 1 for
approval 
10 (Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Republic of Korea,
Netherlands, Norway, Ukraine, USA) 

"P" Members supporting sending the Category A liaison request to JTC 1 for
approval, with comments              
-       

"P" Members not supporting sending the Category A liaison request to JTC 1
for approval 
2 (Canada, United Kingdom) 

"P" Members abstaining                    
1 (Switzerland) 

"P" Members not voting                  
12 (Austria, Belgium, Brazil, China, Egypt, Finland, France, Italy, DPR of
Korea, Romania, Russian Federation, Slovenia) 

___________ end of summary, beginning on NB comments _____________ 

Canada
Canada votes no on the issue of a category A liaison between the Free 
Standards Group (FSG) and SC22 at this point in time.We would change our 
vote to yes if the liaison is a category C liaison. 
We understand that FSG is working with POSIX, C, C++ and
internationalization, 
but at this point in time none of the convenors of the respective WG's have 
had any standardization contact with FSG, and none of our national body 
members have any contact with FSG relating with the standardization of these

languages and OS's. It therefore does not appear that FSG is doing
significant 
standards work in any of these topic areas. 
We therefore find that it is inappropriate to initiate 
contact between FSG and SC22/WG14, WG21, WG20 or WG15 through such a 
category A liaison. Should FSG and some of these WG's begin working together

and feel that multiple Category C liaisons would be needed we would be
willing 
to consider a category A liaison instead. 

United Kingdom
Whilst the UK is voting No on this ballot as it believes a Category A
liaison is inappropriate, the UK recognizes that there are significant
benefits in a liaison between JTC1 and the Free Standards Group and
recommends that the Free Standards Group submit a Category C liaison
request.