Subject: SC 22 N 3660 - ISO 1538 (ALGOL 60) Transition to Stabilized Stand ard Status

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:22:52 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3660
 
TITLE:
ISO 1538 (ALGOL 60) Transition to Stabilized Standard Status

DATE ASSIGNED:
2003-10-10
 
SOURCE:
JTC 1 Secretariat

BACKWARD POINTER:
 
DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A
 
STATUS:
As there was no objection within JTC 1 to document JTC 1 N 7124 (SC 22
Proposal to made ISO 1538 a Stabilized Standard), ISO 1538 (ALGOL 60) has
been approved as a stabilized standard.  
This information has been sent to ITTF so that they can update their
records.  Mr. J.W. van Wingen (Netherlands) will be listed as the project
editor for the stabilized standard.
Please note that starting next year, "declare as stabilized" will be one of
the options on the systematic review form.  For your information, the JTC 1
document on the stabilized process can be found below.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI
 
DUE DATE:
  
DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC 22 N3559
 
DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open
 
Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

___end of cover page, beginning of document_____

JTC 1 N 6604 
JTC 1 STABILIZED STANDARDS PROCESS 
A stabilized standard is one that has ongoing validity and effectiveness but
is mature and insofar as can be determined will not require further
maintenance of any sort. While a standard is in stabilized status it will no
longer be subject to periodic maintenance but will be retained to provide
for the continued viability of existing products or servicing of equipment
that is expected to have a long working life.
The options available to Sub Committees and National Bodies at the Five Year
review of standards are increased to include such a category of standard.
The full range of options at these reviews are now:
· Confirm
· Revise
· Declare as Stabilized
· Withdraw
At least one five-year review cycle must pass after the last modification to
an existing standard before it can recommended for stabilization by the
owning committee. 
To initiate the introduction of the category, Sub Committees are invited to
review the standards under their responsibility and may recommend that such
standards be re-classified as stabilized standards. Each recommendation
shall be accompanied by a statement of rationale. Sub Committees may make
such recommendations to the JTC 1 Secretariat until 2002-06-30 when the JTC
1 Secretariat will issue a 60-day Letter ballot to participating National
Bodies to confirm the status of these standards.
Following the introductory period, a Sub committee will recommend that a
standard be put in stabilized status as a part of the routine 5 year review
process. In each case the recommendation is accompanied by a statement of
rationale and results in a JTC 1 letter ballot as is done in the case of a
reaffirmation recommendation.
Once a standard is stabilized it will be recorded on a master list of
stabilized standards kept by the ISO Central Secretariat and available to
the JTC 1 Secretariat and to all Sub Committee Secretariats. This record
will include the date of first addition to the list and the rationale
provided as above. Stabilized standards will also be indicated as such on
the ISO Catalogue.
Stabilized standards are no longer subject to the routine 5 year review
process; however, each Sub Committee shall periodically review a current
list of its own stabilized standards to ensure that they still belong in
stabilized status. 
Where a Sub Committee or National Body becomes aware that a stabilized
standard is no longer in use or its use has been superseded or it now unsafe
to continue to use the standard, the Sub Committee or National Body may
request JTC 1 to issue an immediate 60 day letter ballot to reclassify the
standard as withdrawn. 
If a new work proposal is generated and adopted against a stabilized
standard, the standard is automatically removed by the Secretariat from the
list of stabilized standards. A new work proposal against a stabilized
standard must explicitly note that the standard is stabilized and that the
effect of adoption of the new work proposal will be to return the standard
to active status. To be eligible once again for stabilization the standard
must go through the same process as it did initially, including no
modification for at least one five year maintenance cycle.
The owning JTC 1 Sub Committee may act to remove a standard from stabilized
status at any time and it may request a 60 day letter ballot to reinstate
the standard as current.