Subject: SC 22 N 3629 - Revised Report of the National Body of Japan to th e JTC 1/SC 22 Plenary

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:52:04 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3629

TITLE:
Revised Report of the National Body of Japan to the JTC 1/SC 22 Plenary 

DATE ASSIGNED:
2003-08-26

SOURCE:
National Body of Japan

BACKWARD POINTER:

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under agenda
item 7.1.  It contains several updates and replaces the previous version
contained in SC 22 N3627.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

___end of cover page, beginning of document____

Japan National Activity Report to the Plenary Meeting of JTC 1/SC 22,
September 2003

1. National Activities for International Standardization in Japan
- SC 22 of Information Technology Standards Commission of Japan (ITSCJ) is
working as a Japanese National Committee for ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22. SC 22
meetings are held 6 times per year and some additional ad-hoc meetings are
held if necessary.
- There are ten working groups (COBOL WG, Fortran WG, Ada WG, C WG, Lisp WG,
Prolog WG, POSIX WG, C++ WG, Internationalization WG, and Language
Independent Issues WG), and an ad hoc committee for C# and CLI under this
committee to cope with activities of JTC 1/SC 22. VDM/SL and Z are covered
by another group (Formal Description Technique Sub Working Group) in ITSCJ
with close liaison with our SC 22. There are no corresponding WGs to WG 3
(APL), and WG 13 (Modula-2).
- Each group has been participating actively in the corresponding
international working group.
- Additional activities to be reported are as follows:

C# JIS committee
- Last year, we formed an ad hoc committee for C# language specification and
CLI Fast-track. Upon receipt of the IS approval on these, this year we have
formed a C# JIS committee to prepare JIS translation of C# language
specification. We are currently on track for the final submission to JISC
towards March 2004. We are maintaining contacts with ECMA TC39 TG2 and TG3
for the background and future works on these ISes.

COBOL WG
- Mr. Wataru Takagi, a member of COBOL WG, has been working as the Project
Editor for TR 19755, Information technology -- Programming languages --
Object finalization for Programming language COBOL.  The DTR ballot for TR
19755 closed on May 20 and was approved by JTC 1 without comments.
- For ISO/IEC 1989:2002, Information technology - Programming languages -
COBOL, preperation of corresponding JIS standard was started in May 2003.

C WG
- Translation work of ISO/IEC 9899:1999 started in October 1999 and has been
completed in 2003. JIS standard will be published in the latter half of
2003.

C++ WG
- Translation work of ISO/IEC 14882:1998 into Japanese started in May 1999
and has been completed in 2003. JIS standard will be published in the latter
half of 2003.

LISP WG
- This WG is preparing a proposal for a technical corrigendum and a
corrected reprint for the ISLISP document ISO/IEC 13816, based on the
comments collected during the process of preparing the Japanese standard
document JIS X 3012.

Internationalizaion WG
- Regarding ISO/IEC 14651, Japan supported the proposal to transfer it from
SC 22/WG 20 to SC 2/WG 2, at the JTC 1 Meeting on Cooperation and
Coordination of Cross Cultural and Linguistic Matters. 

Linux Study Group
- Japan has much interest in making International Standards for Linux and
its related functionality and sent a contribution (SC 22 N3063) as follows. 

   Whereas resolution 2 from ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22 Linux Study Group
encouraged 
   the Free Standards Group to apply for PAS submitter status and to submit
the 
   most appropriate version of Linux Base Standard (LSB) for approval as an
IS 
   by the PAS process, and

   Whereas discussion on the mailing list of the Linux Study Group is
dormant,

   Japan National Body supports resolution 2 of the Linux Study Group and
encourages 
   ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22 to suggest to ISO/IEC JTC 1 that the first IS for
Linux 
   should be technically equivalent with existing de facto standard Linux 
   specification, i.e. LSB. Japan hopes that the first IS will be
established as 
   soon as possible in 2004.

   Further standardization of Linux related functionality beyond the scope
of LSB 
   may be proposed through another PAS or by an NP. However, special
attention 
   should be paid to avoid possible divergence between open source
implementations 
   and specifications developed by ISO/IEC JTC 1.

   Japan is willing to volunteer hosting a required Linux standardization
meeting 
   in 2004 to accelerate the activity.

2. Development of National Standards
The Japanese national standards are known as Japanese Industrial Standards
(JISs). The current status of JISs in the area of SC 22 is as follows: 

1) JISs established before 2002
- C (JIS X 3010: 1993) = ISO/IEC 9899:1990
- C (JIS X 3010: 1996) = ISO/IEC 9899 AMD 1:1995
- COBOL (JIS X 3002: 1992) = ISO/IEC 1989:1985 + AMD 1 
- ECMAScript (JIS X 3060: 2000) = ISO/IEC 16262:1998
- Fortran Part 1 (JIS X 3001-1: 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997
- Fortran Part 2 (JIS X 3001-2: 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994
- Fortran Part 3 (JIS X 3001-3: 2000) = ISO/IEC 1539-3:1999
- Framework for Internationalization (JIS TR X 0030: 2000) = ISO/IEC TR
11017: 1998
- Full BASIC (JIS X 3003: 1993) = ISO/IEC 10279: 1991 
- Guidelines for Programming Language Standards Preparation (JIS TR X 0031:
2001)= ISO/IEC TR 10176: 1998
- ISLisp (JIS X 3012: 1998) = ISO/IEC 13816:1997
- MUMPS (JIS X 3011: 1995) = ISO/IEC 11756:1990
- Pascal (JIS X 3008: 1994) = ISO/IEC 7185:1990 
- PCTE Part 1 (JIS X 3050: 1996) = ISO/IEC 13719-1:1995
- POSIX Part 1 (JIS X 3030: 1994) = ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990
- POSIX Part 2 (JIS X 3031: 2001) = ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993
- Prolog Part 1: General Core (JIS X 3013: 2001) = ISO/IEC 13211-1:1995
- Ada (JIS X 3009: 2002) = ISO/IEC 8652:1995

2) JISs published in FY2002
- Fortran Part 2 (JIS X 3001-2: 2002) = ISO/IEC 1539-2: 2000

3) JISs prepared in FY 2002 or before and to be published in FY 2003
- C (JIS X 3010: 2003) = ISO/IEC 9899:1999 and Technical Corrigendum 1:2001
- C++ = ISO/IEC 14882:2003 (second edition) 

4) Draft JISs being prepared in FY 2003
- C# language specification (ISO/IEC 23270:2002)
- COBOL (ISO/IEC 1989:2002)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------