Subject: (SC22docs.1964) SC 22 N 3625-UK National Body Report, September 2 002-August 2003

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:27:13 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N 3625

TITLE:
UK National Body Report, September 2002-August 2003
DATE ASSIGNED:
2003-08-19

SOURCE:
UK National Body

BACKWARD POINTER:

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under agenda
item 7.1.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
OPEN

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

___end of cover page, beginning of document____

UK National Body activity report
September 2002 - August 2003
The UK participant committee for SC22 is BSI IST/5, Programming Languages.
Technical work 
Almost all of the technical work of IST/5 is in relation to SC22 projects,
and it maintains technical panels which co-ordinate the UK contribution to
the SC22 WGs in which the UK is active. These panels advise IST/5 on matters
such as letter ballots. 
In addition the UK provides the secretariat and convenor for WG5 (Fortran)
and also WG19 (Formal Specification Languages). The UK also provides the
Project Editors for the two Fortran Technical reports, one of the C++
Technical reports and part of the Fortran Standard, Pascal, PCTE, Prolog,
VDM, Z and Extended BNF as well as the Lead Rapporteur for WG15's Rapporteur
Group on Revising POSIX.
The UK is active in, and maintains panels for - WG4 (COBOL), WG5 (Fortran),
WG9 (Ada), WG11 (Bindings), WG14 (C), WG15 (POSIX), WG16 (Lisp), WG19
(Formal Specification Languages) for both VDM-SL and for Z, WG 20
(Internationalisation) and WG21 (C++). A new C# panel has been created in
response to the ECMA fasttrack submission for C# and Common Language
Infrastructure.
Concerns 
Active participation continues to be a concern to the UK, especially of
cross-language groups such as WG11 and WG20.
WG20 has continued to concern us in other ways. Many of our experts continue
to doubt the quality and usefulness of its work and we are recommending that
maintenance of ISO/IEC 14651 be transferred to JTC1/SC2. Following that and
the publication of all outstanding projects we will be recommending that
WG20 be disbanded.
The UK is still concerned about the maintenance of the C# and Common
Language Infrastructure standards, although not about the technical content.
One of our panel members is participating directly in the ECMA revision
activity, however this is on an informal basis and not as a UK
representative. A separate document is being prepared to address these
concerns, even if only for future Fastrack standards.
With regard to Linux  we believe that it is useful for the general Unix and
Linux communities for Linux standardisation to take place, but that this
should be allocated to SC22/WG15.

Sally Seitz
Program Administrator
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
Tel: (212) 642-4918
Fax: (212) 840-2298