Subject: SC 22 N 3606 - SC 22/WG 21 Business Plan/Convener's Report

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:53:09 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3606

TITLE:
SC 22/WG 21 Business Plan/Convener's Report 

DATE ASSIGNED:
2003-08-05

SOURCE:
SC 22/WG 21 Convenor (H. Sutter)

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 8.12.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

__end of cover page, beginning of document_____

Business Plan and Convener's Report
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG21(C++)

Document: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG21 N1486
                             J16/03-0069
PERIOD COVERED:
September 2002 - September 2003

SUBMITTED BY:
Convener, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG2l
 Microsoft Corporation
 1 Microsoft Way
 Redmond WA 98052
 Email: [email-masked]
 Tel: +1-425-707-6533
 Fax: +1-928-438-4456

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 JTC1/SC22/WG21 STATEMENT OF SCOPE
Development and maintenance of ISO/IEC Standards related to the
programming language C++.

1.2. PROJECT REPORT

1.2.1. COMPLETED PROJECTS
JTC 1.22.32- Programming Language C++ - This project was delivered by the
publishing of ISO/IEC 14882:1998 (first standard) and :2003 (minor
revision).

1.2.2. PROJECTS UNDERWAY
JTC 1.22.18015 Information Technology - Programming Languages Technical
Report on C++ Performance (Technical Report Type 3)

JTC 1.22.19768 Information Technology - Programming Languages Technical
Report of Type 2 on C++ Library Extensions (based on ISO/IEC 14882)

JTC 1.22.32- Work has begun on the first major revision.

1.2.3. CANCELLED PROJECTS
None over this period.

1.2.4. COOPERATION and COMPETITION
Where appropriate, WG21 has established liaisons with other SC22 working
groups. There is no apparent direct competition with any other current
SC22 working group.

2. PERIOD REVIEW

2.1. MARKET REQUIREMENTS
ISO C++ remains a widely-used foundation technology, well-received in
the marketplace. WG21 is developing a revision of ISO 14882, and has
begun work on a Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions.

2.2. ACHIEVEMENTS

2.3. RESOURCES
WG21 meets two times per year in co-located technical sessions with the
US committee J16. Over the past year, WG21 has timed its technical
Sessions to catenate with WG14, allowing those technical experts that
would like to attend both technical sessions the opportunity to do so.
(The convener of WG21 wishes to thank the convener of WG14 for valiant
efforts at harmonious liaison.)

Thirteen countries participate by attending these meetings or by being
involved in the technical discussions that take place over the
reflector. The countries are: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France,
Germany, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Sweden,
Switzerland, UK, and the USA.  WG21 has been monitoring the cross-language
standards activities, and made use of the ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG20 guidelines on
extended characters.

Liaisons:

WG14 C    Greg Colvin (Oracle, USA), Robert Klarer (IBM, Canada),
          Steve Clamage (Sun, USA), Tana Plauger (Dinkumware, USA),
          Clark Nelson (Intel, USA), Keld Simonsen (RAP, Norway),
          Francis Glassborow (UK), Jan Kristofferson (Ramtex, Denmark),
          Tom Plum (Plum Hall, USA), Habib Krit (Perennial, USA)

WG20 Internationalization   Keld Simonsen

3. FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD

3.1. DELIVERABLES
WG21 expects the project editor for the PDTR for JTC 1.22.18015
Information Technology Programming Languages Technical Report on C++
Performance (Technical Report Type 3) to forward the draft to SC22 for
approval balloting at or after the SC22 Plenary.

3.2. STRATEGIES
WG believes that routine handling will suffice to complete the progress
desired.

3.3. RISKS
No problems are anticipated.

3.4. OPPORTUNITIES
WG21 has developed internal procedures for receiving, logging, and
Addressing Defect Reports, consistent with JTC1 and SC22 directives.
Some new features: the moderators of the newsgroup comp.std.c++ play a
role in the initial DR processing, and the WG21 web page provides
reasonably current DR status information.

3.5. WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES

4. OTHER ITEMS

4.1. POSSIBLE ACTION REQUESTS AT FORTHCOMING PLENARY
WG21 expects the project editor for the PDTR for JTC 1.22.18015
Information Technology Programming Languages Technical Report on C++
Performance (Technical Report Type 3) to forward the draft to SC22 for
approval balloting at or after the SC22 Plenary.

4.2 PROJECT EDITORS
The following individuals have been appointed project editors and
backup Project editors:

JTC1.22.32, Programming Language C++, Andrew Koenig (Project Editor)
Thomas Plum (Backup Project Editor).

JTC1.22.18015, Technical Report on C++ Performance, Project Editor is
Martin O'Riordan.

JTC1.22.19768, Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions, Project
Editor is Matt Austern.

Martin O'Riordan has indicated that he is no longer able to participate
in standardization work, and WG21 requests (with O'Riordan's agreement)
that Lois Goldthwaite be appointed as his replacement.

4.3 ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION
WG21 has conducted much of its detailed technical discussion using the
Email Reflector provided by AT&T Labs and Andrew Koenig.  WG21 also has
an FTP and Web site provided by courtesy of the Danish UNIX Users Group
And Keld Simonsen.  WG21 is now providing all the appropriate committee
Documents on the Committee Web site, reducing the need for paper
mailings.

4.4 RECENT MEETINGS

No  Date             Location; Standards Body; Corporate Sponsor
--  ---------------  ---------------------------------------------------
18  Mar  9-14, 1997  Nashua, NH, USA; ANSI, Digital Equip. Corp.
19  Jul 13-18, 1997  Cambridge, UK; BSI, Programming Research
20  Nov  9-14, 1997  New Jersey, USA; ANSI, AT&T
21  Mar  8-13, 1998  Sophia Antipolis, FR; AFNOR, Ilog
22  Oct  6- 9, 1998  Santa Cruz, CA, USA; ANSI, SGI, Plum Hall, Perennial
23  Apr 11-16, 1999  Dublin, Ireland; Irish Standards, O'Riordan
24  Oct 20-26, 1999  Kona, Hawaii, USA; ANSI, Plum Hall
25  Apr 17-21, 2000  Tokyo, Japan; ITSCJ, NEC
26  Oct 23-27, 2000  Toronto, ON, Canada; Standards Canada,
                                          IBM, PeerDirect, Xerox
27  Apr 30-
        May 4, 2000  Copenhagen, Denmark; Danish Standards
28  Oct 21-26, 2001  Redmond, WA, USA; ANSI, Microsoft
29  Apr 21-26, 2002  Curacao, Netherlands Antilles; Netherlands
30  Oct 22-27, 2002  Santa Cruz, CA USA; ANSI, Dinkumware
31  Apr 06-11, 2003  Oxford, UK; BSI

4.5 FUTURE MEETINGS

32  Oct 26-31, 2003  Kona, HI, USA; ANSI, Plum Hall
33  Mar 21-26, 2004  Sydney, Australia: Standards Australia, Whitesmiths
34  Oct xx-xx, 2004  Redmond, WA, USA; ANSI, Microsoft