Subject: SC 22 N 3604 - Resolutions from the SC 22/WG 5 Meeting, 28 July t o 1 April 2003 in Dresden, Germany

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:24:44 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 
  
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3604
  
TITLE: 
Resolutions from the SC 22/WG 5 Meeting, 28 July to 1 April 2003 in Dresden,
Germany

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2003-08-05
  
SOURCE: 
SC 22/WG 5 Convenor (J. Reid) 

BACKWARD POINTER: 
  
DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Meeting Resolutions 

PROJECT NUMBER: 
  
STATUS: 
For information. 

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 
  
DUE DATE: 
  
DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
Open 
  
Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Matt Deane 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked] 

____end of cover page, beginning of document______ 

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG5-N1548

RESOLUTIONS OF THE WG5 MEETING ON JULY 28 TO AUGUST 1 2003 IN DRESDEN,
GERMANY

The meeting was attended by the convenor and 14 members, representing
6 member bodies.  Resolutions D1 to D8 were approved by unanimous
consent, D9 and D10 by unanimous acclaim.

D1.  Name of the Language
That WG5 resolves that the informal name of the language shall be
Fortran 2003.

D2.  Convener's Report to SC22
That WG5 endorses the Business Plan and Convener's Report to the SC22
2003 Plenary Meeting which is in document WG5-N1538.  In particular it
endorses the intention, according to the established schedule, to
deliver to SC22 for balloting a DIS for the revised part 1 of the
Fortran standard in July 2004.

D3.  Appreciation of Project Editor
That WG5 again congratulates the Project Editor Richard Maine for the
high quality and speed of his work in producing the revision of the
Committee Draft so quickly after the previous WG5 meeting.

D4.  Fortran 95 Interpretations
That WG5 approves interpretations 99, 100 and JP-17 to Part 1 of the
Fortran standard which have passed the J3 ballot and are listed in
WG5-N1554, and recommends that interpretation 101 be approved (see
WG5-N1561).  However WG5 requests J3 to reconsider the edit given in
interpretation JP-24 (see WG5- N1561).

Further, WG5 requests J3 to ensure that the edits from the approved
interpretations are incorporated in the draft revised standard.

D5.  Technical Content of Fortran 2003 FCD
That WG5 recommends to its primary development body that, in order to
meet the agreed schedule, the technical content of the draft revised
standard for Fortran which is to be submitted to SC22 for FCD ballot
shall be WG5-N1523 (also known as J3/03-007) as modified by the edits
described in WG5 papers N1552, N1553, N1556, N1557, N1560, N1562,
N1564, N1566, N1567, N1568, N1569, N1570 and N1571.  The primary
development body is encouraged to make editorial corrections and
clarifications and to resolve inconsistencies, but the technical
content should not be changed unless a serious flaw is found.

D6.  Schedule for processing Fortran 2003 FCD
That WG5 directs its convener to forward to its primary development
body by August 4, 2003 the WG5 papers specified in resolution D5.
Processing shall then be as follows.  
   J3 reviews the draft standard and proposes minor edits  August 18-22 2003
   Project editor produces revised document                by mid September
2003
   Convener holds WG5 letter ballot on the document        to be completed
by 
                                                           mid October 2003
   Subgroup established by convener checks document        soon thereafter
   Project editor revises document as directed by convener soon thereafter
   Convener forwards document to SC22 for FCD balloting	   by end October
2003

D7.  TR on Enhanced Module Facilities in Fortran
That WG5 proposes that the technical content of the draft TR which is
to be submitted to SC22 for PDTR balloting shall be as described in
WG5-N1555, as perhaps modified by N1572. At its meetings in August and
November 2003 the primary development body is encouraged to make
editorial corrections and clarifications and to resolve
inconsistencies.  WG5 proposes to hold a WG5 letter ballot on the
draft following the November 2003 J3 meeting.

Further, WG5 directs its convener to forward the draft TR to SC22 for
concurrent registration and PDTR balloting after the draft revised
standard has been submitted for FCD ballot.  WG5 intends that the
document be processed in time for submittal to SC22 for DTR ballot in
July 2004.

Further, WG5 confirms its intent that the TR shall not specify the
detailed relationship of its facilities to ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997.
However WG5 notes that the language facilities described in the TR are
not dependent on new language features introduced in Fortran 2003.

D8.  Future Meetings
That WG5 thanks the US member body for offering to host the WG5
meeting to be held, simultaneously with J3, in Las Vegas on May 2 to
7, 2004.

D9.  Vote of Thanks for Support for Meeting
That WG5 thanks Prof Wolfgang Nagel and the Centre for High
Performance Computing, TU Dresden, and the Institute of Scientific
Computing in the Mathematics Department, TU Dresden, for so generously
supporting the meeting.

D10.  Vote of Thanks
That WG5 wishes to express its appreciation to the convener (John
Reid), the secretary (Lars Mossberg), the librarian (Matthijs van
Waveren) and the drafting committee.  It especially wishes to thank
the local host Wolfgang Walter and his colleagues Mrs Heinisch and Mrs
Eckstein for their organization of the meeting and the social
programme and for their contributions to the success of the meeting.