Subject: SC 22 N 3603 - Japanese Contribution on Linux Standardization

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:15:18 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3603

TITLE:
Japanese Contribution on Linux Standardization

DATE ASSIGNED:
2003-08-01

SOURCE:
Japanese National Body

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 10.1.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:        (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

___end of cover page, beginning of document______

August 1st, 2003
To:         ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22
From:       Japan
Subject:    Japanese contribution on Linux standardization

Whereas resolution 2 from ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22 Linux Study Group encouraged
the Free Standards Group to apply for PAS submitter status and to submit the
most appropriate version of Linux Base Standard (LSB) for approval as an IS
by the PAS process, and

Whereas discussion on the mailing list of the Linux Study Group is dormant,

Japan National Body supports resolution 2 of the Linux Study Group and
encourages ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22 to suggest to ISO/IEC JTC 1 that the first IS
for Linux should be technically equivalent with existing de facto standard
Linux specification, i.e. LSB. Japan hopes that the first IS will be
established as soon as possible in 2004.

Further standardization of Linux related functionality beyond the scope of
LSB may be proposed through another PAS or by an NP. However, special
attention should be paid to avoid possible divergence between open source
implementations and specifications developed by ISO/IEC JTC 1.

Japan is willing to volunteer hosting a required Linux standardization
meeting in 2004 to accelerate the activity.