Subject: SC22 N2381 - Resolutions from JTC 1 December 1996 Meeting

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:56:32 -0500 (EST)

___________________beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2381

January 1997

TITLE:               Resolutions of the Tenth Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1,
                     10-13 December 1996, Paris, France

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           N/A

STATUS:              N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:     SC22 N2365

DOCUMENT TYPE:       N/A

ACTION:              To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for 
                     information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________end of title page; beginning of text _____________

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4474
                                                  
                                                  Date: 1996-12-13

ISO/IEC JTC 1
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Secretariat: U.S.A. (ANSI)

TITLE:    Resolutions of the Tenth Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 10-13 December 1996, Paris,
          France

SOURCE:   Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1

PROJECT:  ---

STATUS:   Resolutions adopted at the Tenth Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 
          10-13 December 1996, Paris, France

REQUESTED ACTION:   It is the intention of the JTC 1 Secretariat to issue            
                    separate communications on all Resolutions requiring             
                    action.

DISTRIBUTION:            P and L Members
                         JTC 1 Officers           

Address Reply to:  

Secretariat - ISO/IEC JTC1- American National Standards Institute, 11 West 42nd Street, NY, NY
10036

Telephone: 212 642 4932; Facsimile:  212 398 0023; e-mail:  [email-masked]

Resolutions of the Tenth Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 
10-13 December 1996, Paris, France

Resolution 1   Appointments

In accordance with the JTC 1 Directives, JTC 1 makes the following appointments effective this date:

     Mr. P. Bartoli, Chairman,  SC 21 (re-appointment)

     Mr. A. Haberman, Chairman, SC 31(appointment)

     Mr. R. Colcher, Chairman,  SC 28 (appointment)

     Dr. W. Fumy, Chairman,  SC 27 (appointment)

     Mr. G. Sidey, Strategic Planning Rapporteur (through the next Plenary)

     Mrs. I. Valet-Harper, Acting ITU-T/JTC 1 Liaison (through the the next Plenary)

                                                       Unanimous

Resolution 2   Revised SC 27 Area of Work

JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to conduct a 60-day letter ballot on the following revised SC 27 Area of
Work:

Standardization of generic methods and techniques for IT security. This includes:

     identification of generic requirements (including requirements methodology) for IT system
security services; 

     development of security techniques and mechanisms (including registration procedures and
relationships of security components);

     development of security guidelines (e.g., interpretative documents, risk analysis); and

     development of management support documentation and standards (e.g., terminology and
security evaluation criteria).

Excluded is:

     the embedding of mechanisms in applications

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 3   SWG-GII Recommendations

JTC 1 approves SWG-GII recommendations 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 2.4 as contained in document JTC 1 N
4464, Report of the December 1996 SWG-GII Meeting in Paris.

Further, JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to conduct a 60 day JTC 1 letter ballot (beginning mid-January
1997) on approval of SWG-GII recommendations 2.1, 3.1 - 3.6 as contained in document JTC 1 N
4464, Report of the December 1996 SWG-GII Meeting in Paris.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 4   IT Implementation Timeline

JTC 1 approves document JTC 1 N 4475, IT Implementation Timeline, as the timeline for moving
forward with the implementation of IT in JTC 1.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 5   ISO Copyright Policy 

JTC 1 approves the submission to the ISO and IEC Councils of the JTC 1 resolutions on Electronic
Document Availability and Impact of the Revised ISO/IEC Copyright Rules contained in document
JTC 1 N 4476.

                                             Abstention: Germany

Resolution 6   Revised SC 31 Title and Area of Work

JTC 1 approves the revised SC 31 Title and Area of Work as follows:

Title:    Automatic Identification and Data Capture Techniques

Area of Work:  Standardization of data formats, data syntax, data structures, data encoding, and
technologies for the process of automatic identification and data capture.  Excluded are work areas
assigned to another international subcommittee or international technical committee, including:

ISO TC 104/SC 4/WG 2 in the area of work on Automatic Electronic Identification for containers and
container related applications.

ISO TC 23/SC 19/WG 3 in the area of work on identification of animals.

ISO TC 204 in the area of work on RFID for Transportation and Control Systems.

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 17 in the area of work on Identification Cards.

ISO TC 68/SC 6 in the area of work on Financial Transaction Cards, Related Media, and Operations.

ISO TC 122/WG 4 in the area of work on Packaging Bar code Labels.

JTC 1 asks SC 31 to further investigate its relationships with ISO TC 204, ISO TC 68/SC 6 and
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 17 and determine if changes to its scope are required and how the liaison
relationships will operate.  The SC 31 Chairman is requested to report on this investigation at the
September 1997 JTC 1 Plenary meting in Ottawa.  In any case, this investigation must be completed
prior to the submission of any NP that may overlap with any of the above committees.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 7   Release of Standards

JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to request approval from the ISO and IEC Councils to place the
following documents on the World  Wide Web:

Technical Corrigenda to ISO 9899 - Programming Language C

Records of Responses to ISO 9899 - Programming Language C

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 8   JTC 1 Re-engineering

JTC 1 has reviewed the contributions received on the topic of JTC 1 re-engineering and as a result:

8.1  Approves document JTC 1 N 4473 as JTC 1's Scope, Mission, Principles and Objectives.

                                             Abstains: Denmark

8.2  Approves document JTC 1 N 4477 as new JTC 1 NP Acceptance Criteria.

                                             Unanimous

8.3  Approves document JTC 1 N 4478 as the JTC 1 Business Plan Outline/Template for use by
     JTC 1 and its SCs in reporting on their programmes of work.

                                             Unanimous

8.4  Establishes the following process and schedule to implement the stop/cancel or
publication/cancellation of appropriate projects listed in document JTC 1 N 4302 revised:

Based on the following objective criteria, the list in N 4302 revised will be updated and projects will
be included on the list for cancellation:

          - if there are less that 5 P-members actively participating in the project;

          -  if the project has missed the timescales for progression as set forth in the Directives

Using documents available at this meeting (i.e., updated PoW reviews and NB contributions), the JTC
1 Secretariat and Chairman will correct the list in N 4302 revised by 15 January 1997.

Projects which are listed in N 4302 revised as "projects recommended for cancellation" and which are
also contained in Annex A of JTC 1 N 4459 "ITU-T comments on proposed JTC 1 reengineering",
should have their status indicated as "PUBLISH/CANCEL" in all cases in the further revision of JTC
1 N 4302 to be produced by the JTC 1 Chairman and Secretariat.

The revised list will be circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies and to SC Chairmen and Secretariats
announcing the cancellation of those projects effective 17 March 1997. Those SCs that believe that
their projects are listed in error may so advise the JTC 1 Secretariat prior to 17 March 1997.  

The responses received will be reviewed at the 7-11 April 1997 meeting of the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on
Reengineering and final decisions will be taken.

     Decisions of the Ad Hoc will be effective 15 April 1997.

                                             Negative: Denmark

8.5  Notes the status of the "special action" recommendations contained in JTC 1 N 4302 revised:

SC 2 - report received

SC 28 - report due 1 May 1997

SC 30 - report received

SC 14 - hold in abeyance

SC 26 - hold in abeyance

SC 1 - response requested in time for the September 1997 JTC 1 plenary

SC 22 - response requested in time for the September 1997 JTC 1 plenary

SC 29 - response requested in time for the September 1997 JTC 1 plenary

SC 25 - hold in abeyance

                                             Negative: Denmark

8.6  Requests that all future SC Secretariat reports to JTC 1 highlight project subdivisions
     indicating level of SC National Body support and rationale for each.

                                             Unanimous

8.7  Based on the contributions received and the discussions held during this meeting(see document
     N4479), authorizes the continuation of the Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Re-engineering to:

     further define the JTC 1 Technology Directions

     prepare the definition and procedures for Business Teams

     review the current JTC 1 structure including its special groups and mode of operation against
     the JTC 1 Technology Directions (N4307) and recommend structural and operational
     (process)changes, as appropriate, as well as prepare the implementation plan for transition to
     the new structure

     review the contributions received on the following topics which have been referred to the Ad
     Hoc for consideration:

-    implementation inquiry
-    hardware  Vs software
-    NP criteria
-    definition of National Body participation
-    consideration of MPEG standardization development process
-    maintenance of standards
-    technical direction
-    Business Team concept
-    Inward and outward views
-    Business plan template

JTC 1 authorises the JTC 1 Secretariat to initiate 60 day letter ballots as necessary to achieve this.
National Body comments are requested on the above topics by  17 March 1996 in order that they may
be considered by the Ad Hoc Group at its next meeting.

The schedule of meetings for the Ad Hoc Group on reengineering is as follows:
7-11 April 1997 in Germany
16-20 June 1997 in the UK

                                             Unanimous

Resolution 9   Agreement on Exchange of Information between JTC 1 and ETSI 

JTC 1 accepts document JTC 1 N 4472 as the "Agreement on Exchange of Information between
ISO/IEC JTC 1 and ETSI."  JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to forward this document to the ISO and
IEC Councils for endorsement.

                                                  Unanimous      
                                        
Resolution 10  Migration Plan to Modified DIS Procedure

JTC 1 accepts document JTC 1 N 4469, Migration Plan to the Modified DIS Procedure, and instructs
its Secretariat to forward this document to the JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees for
implementation. JTC 1 accepts the offer of the ITTF to prepare new text for the JTC 1 Directives
which incorporates this new procedure.

                                             Unanimous

Resolution 11  PAS Transposition and Normative Referencing

JTC 1 encourages and invites its SCs/SWGs and NBs to identify candidate PASs and actively work
with the relevant potential PAS submitter to promote these PASs within JTC 1.

JTC 1 recognizes that an open, positive attitude of its SCs and WGs towards potential PAS submitters
and their contributions is vital for the success of the PAS process.

JTC 1 reminds its SCs that as part of the PAS process, as described in N 3582, it has offered SC
counsel to PAS submitters. Therefore, JTC 1 encourages its SCs to assume, to the extent possible, an
open, positive attitude towards Recognized PAS Submitters and their potential contributions, and
requests the SCs to duly provide any counsel requested.

In addition, SCs are strongly encouraged to identify potential PAS submitters  which could make
valuable contributions to the SC work, and to approach them pro-actively.

Recognized PAS submitters are invited to contact the appropriate national PAS mentor or the JTC 1
chairperson in case of any difficulty encountered.

JTC 1 further encourages its subsidiary bodies to make use of normative referencing whenever this is
deemed appropriate, to bring about market-oriented standards in a timely manner.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 12  Extension of PAS trial period

JTC 1, having regard of resolution 13 of its Geneva Plenary (JTC 1 N 4058) which established the
PAS process for a trial period ending 1996, resolves that the trial period for the PAS process be
extended till the end of 1998.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 13  Request to national PAS mentors to report about their activities and experiences

JTC 1 notes that the response to its PAS process by potential or recognized submitters is below its
initial expectations. In order to explore the reasons for this and with a view to improve, if necessary,
the PAS process, JTC 1 invites the national PAS mentors to report about their activities and
experiences in time for the next JTC 1 Plenary in Ottawa. The questions in JTC 1 N 4470 are offered
as help to prepare such reports.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 14  SC 2 Secretariat

JTC 1 accepts the offer from the National Body of Japan to serve as Secretariat of SC 2.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 15  SC 28 Secretariat

JTC 1 accepts the offer from the National Body of Brazil to serve as Secretariat of SC 28.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 16  Revised SC 7 Area of Work

JTC 1 approves the revised SC 7 Area of Work as follows pending endorsement by SC 7:
Standardization of processes, supporting tools and suppoting technologies for the engineering of
software products and systems.

Note: The processes, tools and technologies are within the scope of JTC1 terms of references and
exclude specific tools and technologies that have been assigned by JTC1 to other of its SC's.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 17  JTC 1 Representation at the ANSI HISB - ISO Member Body Meeting on Healthcare
Informatics

Noting the 17 December 1996 meeting of ANSI HISB - ISO Member Bodies on the possible
formation of an ISO TC on Healthcare Informatics (see JTC 1 N 4409), JTC 1 requests its Chairman,
as well as any other volunteers from JTC 1 National Bodies, to represent JTC 1 at this meeting.  The
JTC 1 representatives are instructed to explain the suitability of standardization work in the area of
Healthcare Informatics in JTC 1.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 18  Category B Liaison

Having reviewed the requests for Category B Liaison, JTC 1 recommends that ITTF grant Category B
Liaison as follows:

JTC 1/SC 2     -         Consultative Committee for Space Data                  
                    Systems (CCSDS)

JTC 1/SC 30    -         Energy Technology Data Exchange (ETDE)

JTC 1/SC 18    -         Energy Technology Data Exchange (ETDE)
          
                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 19  Category C Liaisons

Having reviewed the requests for Category C Liaison, JTC 1 recommends that ITTF grant Category C
Liaison status as follows:

JTC 1/SC 7/WG 7     -         NATO/AC250 (N 4327)      

JTC 1/SC 27         -         Common Criteria Implementation Board (N 4368)

JTC 1/SC 26         -         ESONE (4375)

JTC 1/SC 27         -         ETSI/STAG (4378)

JTC 1/SC 30         -         ITU-T SG 10 (4373)

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 20  Category A Liaisons

Having reviewed the requests for Category A Liaison, JTC 1 recommends that ITTF grant Category A
Liaison status as follows:

JTC 1/SC 2          -    Internet Society
     
JTC 1 also approves document JTC 1 N 4311, the Cooperative Agreement between SC 2 and the
Internet Society.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 21  Ad Hoc on Strategy for Implementation of IT

JTC 1 requests its National Bodies and SCs to review the following output documents of the 30
September - 1 October 1996 meeting of the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Strategy for Implementation of IT:

     N 4243         -    Guidelines on the Creation and Maintenance of Web Servers
                         and Pages

     N 4244 revised      -    Draft Transition Plan

     N 4246 revised      -    JTC 1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution

     N 4367         -    Electronic Tips and Techniques Guide

Comments on these documents should be provided to the JTC 1 Secretariat by 31 January 1997 for
input to the next meeting of the IT Ad Hoc scheduled for 25-27 February 1997 in the Washington DC
area.  JTC 1 authorizes a further meeting to be held, if necessary, 23 - 25 June 1997 in Copenhagen.

JTC 1 authorizes the JTC 1 Secretariat to initiate 60 day letter ballots, following each of the IT Ad
Hoc meetings, for JTC 1 approval of revisions of the documents listed above and other topics
identified by the Ad Hoc related to the 1997 implementation of stage 3 of the transition plan.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 22  Revised SC 14 Title and Area of Work

JTC 1 requests its Secretariat to conduct a 60-day letter ballot (following the circulation of the
programme of work review document)on the following revised SC 14 Title and Area of Work:

Title: Data Engineering

Area of Work: To develop standards for the specification of the semantic content of data and
representation independent of interfaces of information systems and organizations.

SC 14's work programme shall include projects relating to structure, organization, registration,
interoperability, sharability and portability of data and metadata.

For inclusion with the letter ballot, SC 14 is requested to provide a rationale for the proposed changes,
a planned programme of work under the new scope and a list of the SC 14 P-members in support of
the new scope.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 23  JTC 1 Delegation to JTAG 2

JTC 1 authorizes the following delegation to represent JTC 1 at future JTAG 2 meetings:

Mr. Jan van den Beld (SC 2, SC 11, SC 23)

Mr. Roy Pierce (SC 28)

Dr. Hiroshi Yasuda (SC 29), Head of Delegation (pending agreement from Dr. Yasuda)

Dr. Scott Foshee (SC 24)

SC 18 delegate

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 24  JTC 1 60-Day Letter Ballots

JTC 1 approves a policy of allowing actions to be taken between JTC 1 Plenary Sessions via a 60-day
letter ballot within JTC 1.  Actions for approval may be proposed by any of the following: the JTC 1
Chairman, JTC 1 SWGs, JTC 1 SCs and JTC 1 SGFS.

Note: A JTC 1 Ad Hoc may be pre-authorized by a JTC 1 Plenary to initiate this action.

                                                                              Unanimous

Resolution 25  Special Presentations

JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to

1. Mr. J. Hungate        -    Regional Workshops

2. Mr. A. Haberman       -    SC 31-Automatic Data Capture

for the excellent presentations given at this Plenary Meeting.

                                             Acclamation

Resolution 26  ISO High Level Steering Group Committee on CALS

JTC 1 notes the report of the CALS HLSCG meeting as in JTC 1 N 4166 and invites its National
Bodies and SCs to comment on this document and contribute via the JTC 1 delegation. JTC 1
authorizes the following delegation to represent JTC 1 at future meetings of the CALS HLSGC:

Mr. W. Koch

Mr. J. Smith
     
                                             Unanimous

Resolution 27  DAVIC as a PAS Submitter

Having reviewed the ballot results contained in document JTC 1 N 4446, JTC 1 approves DAVIC as a
Recognized PAS Submitter with the understanding that DAVIC will respond to the ballot comments
given in N 4446 prior to submitting a PAS specification for JTC 1 letter ballot.

                                             Negative: Italy

Resolution 28  Joint Workshop on the Registration of Metadata

JTC 1 approves the proposal for a Joint Workshop on the Registration of Metadata as contained in
document JTC 1 N 4361.  Further, JTC 1 notes the proposed workshop objectives contained in JTC 1
N 4346 and requests that these objectives are incorporated into the planning of the Workshop.

JTC 1 notes that the JTC 1 Guidelines for conducting Workshops (including the status of the output
documents) must be observed.  JTC 1 encourages the groups identified in N 4361 to participate in this
Workshop. 

In addition, JTC 1 asks the SC 14 Chairman, Mr. Bargmeyer, to report the results of this Workshop to
the next JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Ottawa in September 1997.
     
                                             Unanimous

Resolution 29  Results of Workshop on Data Modelling

JTC 1 requests its SCs to take note of the report of the workshop on data modelling as contained in
document JTC 1 N 4345.  In particular, SCs should note recommendation 2.1 and take appropriate
action to better understand and deal with the proliferation of modelling languages.  SCs are
encouraged to participate in the upcoming workshop on registration of metadata.

                                             Unanimous

Resolution 30  ITU-T and ISO/IEC JTC 1 Cooperation

JTC 1 resolves to adopt, effective 1 January 1997, the revised Guide for ITU-T and ISO/IEC
Cooperation contained in JTC 1 N 4380 (modified by changes in JTC 1 N 4460)as a replacement for
Annex K of the JTC 1 Directives.  JTC 1 notes that the phase -in of the new procedures will take
place as follows:

     a)   on the JTC 1 side according to the migration plan in JTC 1 N4469

     b)   on the ITU-T side, Director letters issued after 1 January 1997 announcing texts for
          approval at a SG meeting use the new procedures (this implies SG meetings prior to
          April 1997  use the old procedures)

 JTC 1 thanks Mr. P. Gibbon and Mr. H. Bertine for their efforts in producing this revised Guide.

                                             Unanimous

Resolution 31  BSR Rules and Guidelines

Having heard a report of the BSR Management Committee meeting in Geneva, JTC 1 does not believe
that it is appropriate to standardize the BSR Rules and Guidelines nor the BSR content.  If standards
are contemplated, they should be progressed in a Technical Committee open to all National Bodies. 
JTC 1 requests its Secretariat to forward this message to the BSR Management Committee for its
consideration.

                                             Unanimous

Resolution 32  Pilot of a New Procedure for Maintenance of Mature Standards

JTC 1 authorizes SC 21 to initiate a pilot of a new procedure for maintenance of mature standards as
contained in document JTC 1 N 4353.  The SC 21 Chairman is requested to report on the progress of
this pilot at the next JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Ottawa in September 1997.

Further, the Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering is asked to review documents JTC 1 N 4352 and N 4353
for possible use within other JTC 1 subcommittees.

                                             Unanimous

Resolution 33  Distribution of JTC 1 Documents

JTC1 recognizes the efforts needed to advance the document distribution within JTC1 from Stage 1
(diskette distribution) to Stage 3 (Server availability), referring to the IT-implementation Policy
N4246r and Implementation Timeline in JTC1 N4475.

JTC1 considers that currently JTC1 documents are distributed both on paper, on diskette and via
e-mail, which places the implementation of IT within JTC1 in an unidentified stage between the Stages
0 and 1, and which causes difficulties in retracking and tracing the JTC1 documents by the JTC1
Membership.

JTC1 also recognizes that during the last few months before this Plenary Meeting many documents
had to be forwarded in a short time due to deadlines very close to the meeting, and  that in the coming
year again a significant amount of work is to be expected prior to completion of the full use of IT
within JTC1.

Terefore the JTC1 instructs its Secretariat that during this period of transition when a document is
forwarded by e-mail the document-number, explicit title and the status of the document should be
made clearly visible (in the "Subject"- or "Ref."- header),

if a document is sent out by e-mail each e-mail message should contain only one JTC1 document per
message,

when a document refers to a specific action to be accomplished by a Secretariat, this should appear
clearly in the document the document also be sent via e-mail ,

a document-number should only be allocated to a document when the document is actually available at
the JTC1 Secretariat,

each Nxx00 and Nxx50 document-list should be distributed as soon as possible after the related 50
document-numbers have been allocated, 

when a diskette is sent out to the JTC1 Membership the Secretariat should send out an e-mail message
to its membership announcing which documents are on the diskette, i.e. to be received soon,

for documents with short timescales (e.g., 60-day letter ballots), these  documents should be sent via
both email and airmail diskette to ensure that National Bodies have adequate time to respond.

                                                  Unanimous      

Resolution 35 Co-operation with TC 204

JTC 1 notes the offer from TC 204 to supply a draft on ASN1 application dedicated to transport
telematics and instructs its subcommittee 21 to respond.

                                                  Unanimous

Resolution 36  Future Meetings

The following schedule of JTC 1 Plenary Meetings is agreed:

     9-12 September 1997           -    Ottawa, Canada

     1-5 June 1998            -    Sendai, Japan

     January 1999             -    Brazil

     October 1999             -    Seoul, Korea

The JTC 1 Chairman and Secretariat will have a one-day discussion forum with the JTC 1 Sub-group
Chairmen and Conveners preceding the Plenary Meeting. Heads of Delegations will be invited to
attend.

                                                  Unanimous      
RESOLUTION   APPRECIATION

a)   JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to Mr. Durand, Deputy Director of AFNOR, for his
     welcoming remarks and expressions of support of the work of JTC 1. 

                                                  Acclamation

b)   JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to AFNOR and its staff: Mrs. Monica Diaz, Isabelle Dagonne,
     Marie-France Waltispurger and Maria Mata for the excellent meeting support.  They exhibited
     great competence, flexibility, and good humor in responding to the many demands of the
     meeting. In particular, JTC 1 expresses its special thanks to Mrs. Marie-Martine Guillabert and
     Mr. Jean Hyenne for their outstanding support both before and during the meeting. 

                                                  Acclamation

c)   JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to Mrs. Jennifer Garner, USA, for providing JTC 1 Plenary
     meeting documents as PDF files on diskettes for use by JTC 1 participants at this meeting.
     This service helped to progress consideration of the very large number of documents posted to
     the meeting agenda.

                                                  Acclamation
d)   JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to AFNOR and the following Sponsors for their hosting of
     the wonderful dinner at The Louvre:

     Digital France,

     Electricit‚ de France - Gaz de France,

     France T‚l‚com,

     Groupe Bull,

     Hewlett-Packard France,

     IBM France,

     MinistŠre de l'Industrie, de la Poste et des T‚l‚communications.

JTC 1 also expresses its special thanks to MinistŠre de l'Industrie, de la Poste et des
T‚l‚communications for their contribution in hosting this Plenary meeting.

                                                  Acclamation         
                                        
e) JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to the Subcommittee Chairmen, Secretaries, and Conveners of its
Special Working Groups for their efforts in support of the work of JTC 1 and for the preparation of
the reports that reflect these activities.

                                                  Acclamation

f)   JTC 1  thanks Switzerland for serving as Secretariat for SC 2 and SC 28. JTC 1 in particular
expresses its deepest appreciation to Mr. Van den Beld and Mr. Lauri for their participation in and
support of, respectively, SC 2 and SC 28  operations and administration.

                                                  Acclamation

g)   JTC 1 expresses its deepest thanks and appreciation to Mr. Paul Ellinghaus for serving as
Convenor of the Special Working Group on Conformity Assessment.  JTC 1  wishes Paul well on his
retirement.
     
                                                                              Acclamation 
     
h)   JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to the Drafting Committee for its timely completion of the
resolutions.

                                                                                   Acclamation                          

i)   JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to its Chairman and Secretariat for their fine efforts in
bringing about another successful JTC 1 Plenary meeting, and looks forward to many more meetings
with their leadership, patience, good humour, and attention to getting on with the work.  
               
                                                                               Acclamation
_____________________-end of document N2381 _________________________