Subject: SC 22 N 3571 - Canadian National Body Position on Creation of a L inux Study Group

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:36:00 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22 N3571 

TITLE: 
Canadian National Body Position on Creation of a Linux Study Group

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2003-04-25 

SOURCE: 
Canadian National Body 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
National Body Contribution 

PROJECT NUMBER: 
N/A 

STATUS: 
This contribution will be reviewed at the Linux Study Group meeting, 28-30
May 2003, London, UK. 

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
Open 

Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Matt Deane 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked] 

____end of cover page, beginning of document__________ 

Canadian National Body submission to ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22 about creation of a
Linux Study Group.

Canada fully supports the creation of a Study Group to participate in Linux
Standardization at the ISO level, indeed Canada would prefer to see a Linux
WG formed as soon as a NP for Linux work can be processed.

We propose the creation of New Work Items for Linux Standardization (if
agreement is reached with community-based Linux Standards groups). 

Canada is prepared to participate in Linux standardization through SC22.

We support the development of a close working relationship with
community-based Linux Standards groups (including LSB but possibly including
other groups if they exist). We see this close working relationship
including category C liaison. 

We are aware, however, that there is considerble sensitivity on the part of
"community-based standards" groups that involvement in JTC1 standardization
will eliminate freely-available documents or distort a functioning standards
process. The LSG, and indeed SC22 and JTC1 itself must take steps to ensure
such groups that they will not be subsumed by JTC1 processes, and that work
products originating from community-based groups retain the community- based
copywrites, i.e. - things that are/were considered freely available continue
to be freely available