Subject: SC22 N2373 - Interim Procedure for SC21 Standards Maintenance

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:23:15 -0500 (EST)

________________beginning of title page _____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2373

January 1997

TITLE:              Interim Procedures for Maintenance of Mature
                    Standards Developed in SC21 (For Immediate
                    Application)

SOURCE:             Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:          N/A

STATUS:             This procedure is not for use within SC22; however,
                    ISO/IEC JTC 1 has authorized SC21 to initiate a
                    pilot test of these procedures and the JTC 1 Ad Hoc
                    on Reengineering will be reviewing this document
                    for possible use within other JTC 1 SCs.  Comments
                    related to SC22 from the National Bodies and the
                    SC22 Working Group Conveners is particularly
                    welcomed and should be forwarded to Mr. Robert
                    Follett, JTC 1/SC22 Chairman, for his use when
                    this document is discussed at the next meeting of
                    the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Reengineering.

CROSS REFERENCE:    SC22 N2365, N2374

DOCUMENT TYPE:      N/A

ACTION:             To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for
                    information or action, as appropriate.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________  end of title page; beginning of text _____________
ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 4352                   

DATE:  1996.11.26     

REPLACES                                     

DOC TYPE:
Other document                                                        

TITLE:
INTERIM PROCEDURE FOR MAINTENANCE OF MATURE STANDARDS DEVELOPED 
IN SC21 (FOR IMMEDIATE APPLICATION)                                      

SOURCE:
SC 21 Secretariat                                                     

PROJECT:                   

STATUS:
This document is circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies for review and   
consideration at the December 1996 JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Paris.    

ACTION ID:  ACT 

DUE DATE:  1996.12.13

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members                                             

MEDIUM:  E

DISKETTE NO.:            

NO. OF PAGES:  4         

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 
West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932;    
Facsimile:  1 212 398 0023; Email:  [email-masked]                 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 21 N 10667

Title:		INTERIM PROCEDURE FOR MAINTENANCE OF MATURE STANDARDS 
DEVELOPED IN SC21 (FOR IMMEDIATE APPLICATION)

Source:	SC21 Interim Meeting, New York, 10-14th November 1996

Date:		14 November 1996

Status:	SC21 Standing Document

These procedures are for immediate application by SC21, without requiring
explicit modification of the Directives by JTC1. The procedures outlined
in SC21 N10668, "Proposal for a new procedure for the maintenance of
mature standards", are an extension of these procedures whose approval
will require future action by JTC1. The word "interim" to describe the
procedures below anticipates their replacement by those outlined in SC21
N10668. 

Scope

These maintenance procedures apply to the standards identified in table A
(which list may be modified by resolution of SC21). These are mature
standards in the OSI area that are directly implementable by users. These
procedures are an adaptation of the procedures specified in JTC1
Directives (see 14.4.3 to 14.4.10). 

The maintenance activities are limited to the resolution of technical
defects, i.e. technical errors or ambiguities in an IS inadvertently
introduced either in drafting or printing which could lead to an incorrect
or unsafe application of the IS. Technical changes or extensions to the
standards are excluded from the scope. 

For SC21 standards that are not included in table A, the submission and
processing of defect reports is as specified in the JTC1 Directives (see
14.4). 

Maintenance Group The Maintenance Group shall consist of a Maintenance
Secretariat, a Maintenance Rapporteur, and, for each standard or group of
standards listed in table A, an Editing Group. 

The Maintenance Secretariat shall assume the responsibilities in relation
to defect processing for the identified standards that are assigned to the
WG Secretariat in the JTC1 Directives 14.4, as modified by these
procedures. 

The Maintenance Rapporteur shall be a member of each Editing Group, and
shall take the technical lead in creating consensus and developing a
resolution to reported defects where necessary. The Maintenance Rapporteur
shall defer to the Project/Defect editor for a standard where there is
one. 

Editing Group

If an editing group, as specified in JTC1 Directives 14.4.4, has been
established for a standard and a Project/defect editor has been appointed,
that group shall continue to operate, and shall include the Maintenance
Rapporteur and any other experts nominated in the future by NBs In
addition, the editor and the Maintenance Rapporteur, in consultation with
the Maintenance Secretariat, shall have power to co-opt additional experts
to the group. Co-opted experts shall have technical competence in the
standard in question, but need not be appointed by, or have any
affiliation with any NB or LO. 

Where there is no project/defect editor, the Maintenance Rapporteur shall
act as defect editor, and in consultation with the Maintenance
Secretariat, shall have power to co-opt experts to form an editing group. 

The editing group shall operate by electronic mail, and, when possible, by
World-Wide Web/ftp server. Members of the group are expected to respond to
requests for comment or input in a timely manner. 

NOTES 

1 -- It is assumed that all members of the group have access to
email and Web facilitites.  

2 - The name "editing group" is somewhat of a misnomer, since the group do
not directly edit the Standard, but is retained to align with JTC1
Directives 14.4.  

Defect Reports - submission

A defect report may be submitted as specified in JTC1 Directives 14.4.4 to
the Maintenance Secretariat. However, a member of an editing group who has
not been nominated by an NB shall not submit a defect report direct to the
Maintenance Secretariat but will go via the Maintenance Rapporteur. 

In addition, any person, with or without any affiliation to an NB, (and
including co-opted members of the editing group) may draw the attention of
the Maintenance Rapporteur to an apparent problem. If appropriate, the
Maintenance Rapporteur (or the defect editor, if there is one) shall draft
this as a defect report, and shall submit it to the Maintenance
Secretariat. The Maintenance Rapporteur (or editor) may discuss the issue
with the editing group prior to determining whether the apparent problem
is worth progressing as a defect report. 

Defect Reports - distribution

The Maintenance Rapporteur shall make the defect report available to the
editing group, either by email, or by placing on web/ftp server, and
notifying the group. 

The Maintenance Secretariat shall notify the SC Secretariat and SC21
NBLOSs of receipt of the defect report (and other changes to the web
pages). SC21 NBLOs may obtain copies of the defect reports on request to
the Maintenance Secretariat. 

Defect reports - Preparation of response

 After discussion on the email list, the Rapporteur, or defect editor,
shall draft one of the possible responses as specified in JTC1 Directives
14.4.8. (Draft Technical Corrigendum, or lesser response) and send this to
the Maintenance Secretariat. 

The response, including any proposed changes to the standard, shall added
to the web pages. 

Processing of response

If no change is proposed, there is no further action except for the
report-back (see below) 

If further consideration is required, i.e. the editing group consider the
resolution of the defect would require a substantial change in the
standard, the response shall document the issues involved. The Maintenance
Secretariat shall submit this response to the SC21 Secretariat for SC
circulation.  No further action is required from the Maintenance group. 

NOTE - The initiative and responsibility for any additional work pass to
the SC and may involve a JTC1 NP ballot, if there was appropriate support. 

If the response results in the correction of an editorial defect, no
immediate further action is taken (apart from placing the response and the
correction on the web pages) until a technical corrigendum is approved for
the standard. At that time the editorial correction is included in the
technical corrigendum for publication. 

If the response proposes a technical corrigendum, the circulation and
ballot procedures in 14.4.9.4 shall apply, with the following
modification: 

the letter ballot shall request that if comments are made by an NB
(including JTC1 P- members that are not P-members of the SC) that they
also identify experts who can join the editing group (if they are not
already members) 

Reporting

The Maintenance Secretariat and Rapporteur shall submit a report to the SC
Secretariat before each plenary meeting of the SC. The report shall list
the actions taken on all defect reports current or progressed since the
previous report and shall contain the defect report indexes for the
standards assigned to the Maintenance Group. 

Table A : Standards to be covered by the Maintenance Group

Amendments to standards listed here are implicitly included in those
assigned to the Maintenance Group

All standards below are colloborative with ITU-T except those indicated
with ¹.ISO/IEC 8824:1990Specification of ASN.1 (1990)ISO/IEC
8825:1990ASN.1 - Basic Encoding Rules (1990)ISO/IEC 8824-1:1994ASN.1:
basic notationISO/IEC 8824-2:1994ASN.1: information objectISO/IEC
8824-3:1994ASN.1: constraint specificationISO/IEC 8824-4:1994ASN.1:
parameterizationISO/IEC 8825-1:1994ASN.1: BER, CER and DERISO/IEC 8825-
2:1994ASN.1: PERISO/IEC 9066-1:1989RTSE model, service and notationISO/IEC
9066- 2:1989RTSE protocolISO/IEC 9066-3:1996RTSE PICS proformaISO/IEC
9072-1:1989ROSE model, service and notationISO/IEC 9072-2:1989ROSE
protocolISO/IEC 9072-3:1996ROSE PICS proformaISO/IEC 13712-1:1995ROSE
concepts model and notationISO/IEC 13712- 2:1995ROSE serviceISO/IEC
13712-3:1995ROSE protocolISO/IEC 8649:____ACSE serviceISO/IEC
8650-1:____ACSE protocolISO/IEC 8650-2:1995ACSE PICS proformaISO/IEC
10035-1:1995ACSE CL protocolISO/IEC 10035-2:1995ACSE CL PICS
proformaISO/IEC 8822:1994Presentation serviceISO/IEC
8823-1:1994Presentation protocolISO/IEC 8823-2:1995Presentation PICS
proformaISO/IEC 9576-1:1995Presentation CL protocolISO/IEC
9576-2:1995Presentation CL PICS proformaISO/IEC 8326:____Session
serviceISO/IEC 8327-1:____Session protocolISO/IEC 8327-2:____Session PICS
proformaISO/IEC 9548-1:1996Session CL protocolISO/IEC 9548-2:1995Session
CL PICS proformaISO/IEC 8211:1994 ¹Data descriptive fileISO/IEC 6093:1985
¹Representation of numeric valuesISO/IEC 8571-1:____ ¹FTAM
introductionISO/IEC 8571-2:____ ¹FTAM virtual filestoreISO/IEC 8571-3:____
¹FTAM serviceISO/IEC 8571-4:____ ¹FTAM protocolISO/IEC 8571-5:1990 ¹FTAM
PICS proformaISO/IEC 9040:____ ¹VT serviceISO/IEC 9041-1:____ ¹VT
protocolISO/IEC 9041-2:____ ¹VT PICS proformaISO/IEC 11578:____ ¹Remote
procedure callISO/IEC 10181-1:1996Security frameworks. OverviewISO/IEC
10181-2:1996Security frameworks. AuthenticationISO/IEC
10181-3:1996Security frameworks. Access controlISO/IEC
10181-4:____Security frameworks. Non- repudiationISO/IEC
10181-5:1996Security frameworks. ConfidentialityISO/IEC 10181-
6:1996Security frameworks. IntegrityISO/IEC 10181-7:1996Security
frameworks. Audit and alarmsISO/IEC 11586-1:1996GULS overviewISO/IEC
11586-2:1996GULS security exchange serviceISO/IEC 11586-3:1996GULS
security exchange protocolISO/IEC 11586-4:1996GULS protecting transfer
syntaxISO/IEC 11586-5:____GULS security exchange PICS proforma ISO/IEC
11586-6:____GULS protecting transfer PICS proformaISO/IEC 9646-1:1994CTMF
generalISO/IEC 9646-2:1994CTMF abstract test suitesISO/IEC 9646-3:1994CTMF
TTCNISO/IEC 9646-4:____CTMF test realizationISO/IEC 9646-5:1994CTMF
requirements on test labsISO/IEC 9646-6:1994CTMF protocol profile
testingISO/IEC 9646-7:1995CTMF ICS and ICS proformasISO/IEC TR 13233:1995
¹AccreditationISO/IEC 10168-1:____ ¹Session TSS/TPISO/IEC 10168-4:____
¹Session TMPISO/IEC 10169-1:1991 ¹ACSE TSS/TPISO/IEC 10170-1:1993 ¹FTAM
TSS/TPISO/IEC 10729-1:1993 ¹Presentation TSS/TPISO/IEC 10729- 2:1995
¹ASN.1 TSS/TPISO/IEC 10739-1:1994 ¹VT TSS/TPISO/IEC 13650-1:____ ¹TP
TSS/TPISO/IEC 13650-2:____ ¹TP TMPISO/IEC 9834-1:1993Registration. General
proceduresISO/IEC 9834-2:1993 ¹Registration. Document typesISO/IEC 9834-
3:1990Registration. Joint object identifiersISO/IEC 9834-4:1991
¹Registration. VTE profilesISO/IEC 9834-5:1991 ¹Registration. VT control
objectsISO/IEC 9834-6:1993 ¹Registration. Application titles

________________________-end of document SC22 N2373 _________________