Subject: SC22 N2372 - Resolutions of Joint Workshop on Model Use

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 12:34:51 -0500 (EST)

__________________beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2372

January 1997

TITLE:               Proposed Action on JTC 1 N4345 - Resolutions of
                     the Joint Workshop on Standards for the Use of
                     Models

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           N/A

STATUS:              N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:     SC22 N2375, N2376

DOCUMENT TYPE:       N/A

ACTION:              To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs
                     for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________________end of title page; beginning of text __________
ISO/IEC JTC 1                                                         
Information Technology                                                

ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 4346                   

DATE:  1996.11.25     

REPLACES                                     

DOC TYPE:
Other document                                                        

TITLE:
Proposed action on JTC 1 N 4345 - Resolutions of the Joint Workshop on
Standards for the Use of Models                                       

SOURCE:
SC 21 Secretariat                                                     

PROJECT:                   

STATUS:
This document is circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies for review and   
consideration at the December 1996 JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Paris.    

ACTION ID:  ACT 

DUE DATE:  1996.12.13

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members                                             

MEDIUM:  E

DISKETTE NO.:            

NO. OF PAGES:  2         

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 
West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932;    
Facsimile:  1 212 398 0023; Email:  [email-masked]                 

Title: Proposed action on JTC 1 N 4345 - Resolutions of the Joint Workshop
on Standards for the Use of Models

Refs:	JTC 1 N4058 - Resolutions of the 9th Meeting of JTC1, 11-15 March 1996, Sydney 
(Resolution 27)
		JTC 1 N 4345 - Resolutions of the Joint Workshop on Standards for
the Use of Models that define the Data and Processes of Information
Systems
		JTC1 N4307 - JTC 1 reorganisation Source: SC21 Meeting, New York ,
November 12-16, 1996 Status: SC 21 contribution to JTC 1
		Information to participants in the Joint Workshop
		SC21 members should consider this additional information within
their National Bodies while formulating their JTC1 National Body comments
on JTC1 N4307. 

1. SC 21 has reviewed JTC 1 N 4345 and, as a result, proposes that a
Workshop on Standards for Modeling, and Metadata Registration be held to
address the issues raised by Resolutions 1.1, 2.2, 3.1 and 3.2. It assumes
that SC 7 will consider the action proposed in Resolution 2.3 and it is
not in a position to take action on Resolutions 1.2, 1.3 and 2.1. 

2. The objectives of the Workshop will be:  To develop specific proposals
for rationalization and coordination of work among existing projects on
modelling, and to identify and rationalize known requirements for new
work. (addressing Resolution 1.1 of N 4345)  To develop an initial version
of a reference document on modeling and the use of models in the design,
construction and management of information systems that will identify
existing approaches and describe the relationships between those
approaches; to make proposals for further work; and to identify the
practical benefits of such work. (addressing Resolution 2.2 of N 4345) To
develop proposals for the registration of metadata1 involved in
information models or standards, covering the issues identified in
Resolutions 3.1 and 3.2 of Nxxxx. 

3. Participation in the Workshop should be open, but explicit invitations
should extended to the groups identified in Resolutions 2.2 and 3 of n
4345. 

4. Subject to decisions on proposals in N4307 on JTC 1 reorganization, SC
21/WG 3 is prepared to accept responsibility for the organization of the
Workshop jointly with SC 14.  1 From JTC 1 Nxxxx, Metadata is here
considered to be computer readable data element descriptions that specify
the meaning of data for some area of concern {e.g., UN/EDIFACT message
definitions).  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21 N10661

_______________________end of document SC22 N2372 _____________________