Subject: SC 22 N 3542 - Meeting Notice and Draft Agenda for the SC 22/WG 4 Meeting, 26-28 June 2003

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:17:04 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 
  
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3542 
  
TITLE: 
Meeting Notice and Draft Agenda for the SC 22/WG 4 Meeting, 26-28 June 2003

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2003-02-19 
  
SOURCE: 
SC 22/WG 4 Convenor (D. Schricker) 

BACKWARD POINTER: 
N/A 
  
DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Meeting Announcement
 
PROJECT NUMBER: 
N/A 
  
STATUS: 
This document is circulated to SC 22 members for information. 
  
ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 
  
DUE DATE: 
  
DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 
CROSS REFERENCE: 
  
DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
Open 
  
Address reply to: 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat 
Matt Deane 
ANSI 
25 West 43rd Street 
New York, NY  10036 
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992 
Fax:             (212) 840-2298 
Email:  [email-masked] 

___end of cover page, beginning of document__________ 

Meeting Announcement and Draft Agenda

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 4 - COBOL
Meeting 24
26-28 June 2003

Source:   Don Schricker, Convener, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 4

Meeting 24 of WG4 will be held 26 through 28 June 2003 (Thursday through
Saturday) at the Alexis Park Resort Hotel in Las Vegas.  The meeting host is
Micro Focus on behalf of ANSI, the U.S. national body.

See the meeting invitation below for details on the meeting location, the
local area, hotel arrangements, travel information, and host contact.  

Note that hotel reservations must be made by 22 May 2003 in order to receive
conference rates.  Accommodations after that date might be unavailable.  

A primary objective of this meeting is to set direction for future work on
COBOL standardization.

On 25 June, the day before the WG4 meeting, WG4 will host a workshop in
conjunction with COBOL Expo to solicit vision for the future of COBOL from
our general user community.  A call for papers will be distributed
separately.

Attendees at the WG4 meeting must be officially-appointed delegates of their
national body.  Anyone wanting to attend, please contact your national body.
National bodies are requested to send delegation lists at least one month
before the meeting to the following:

*	Matthew Deane
		SC22 secretariat
		[email-masked]

*	Don Schricker
		Host and Convener, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 4
		[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> 

A preliminary agenda for the meeting is included below.  

Note that this is a meeting only of WG4; there is no co-located INCITS/J4
meeting.

Regards,
Don Schricker, Convener
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG4 - COBOL

Preliminary Agenda

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG4 - COBOL
Meeting 24
26-28 June 2003

Location:
	Alexis Park Resort Hotel
	375 East Harmon
	Las Vegas, Nevada 89109

1.	Opening of the meeting:    9:00 am, Thursday, 26 June 2003

2.	Opening business
2.1		Introduction of delegates
2.2		Introductory remarks by convener
2.3		Welcome by host, local arrangements
2.4		Appointment of secretary and chair
2.5		Selection of drafting committee
2.6		Recognition of documents
2.7		Approval of agenda
2.8		Approval of Minutes of Meeting 23, September 2002 (WG4 N
0169)

3.	JTC1 or SC22 information affecting the group

4.	Liaison reports

5.	Preliminary discussion of future meetings

6.	Defect Handling for ISO/IEC 1989

7.	Finalizer Technical Report
7.1		Status
7.2		Schedule
7.3		Develop response to ballot comments

8.	Class Library Technical Reports
8.1		Schedule
8.2		Collections
8.3		XML

9.	Future plans
9.1		Evaluation of input from workshop at COBOL Expo
9.2		Revision or amendment of ISO/IEC 1989
9.3		Future meetings

10.	Review and approval of resolutions from this meeting

11.	Close of the meeting:    end of day 28 June 2003

Daily schedule:
		Meeting start:		9:00 am
		Breaks and lunch time to be determined
		Meeting stop:		6:00 pm

Meeting Notice for June 2003
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG4 Meeting

The U.S. national body is pleased to host WG4 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Meeting Dates:  

	COBOL Expo (UNLV):  				June 23-25
	WG4/COBOL Expo Workshop (UNLV):	June 25
	WG4 meeting (Alexis Park): 		 	June 26-28, 2003
	
WG4 Meeting Location:

	Alexis Park Resort Hotel
	375 East Harmon
	Las Vegas, Nevada 89109
	
Reservations:

	Phone: (800) 582-2228 or (702) 796-3322
	Fax: (702) 796-3354

Hotel Information:

	www.alexispark.com <http://www.alexispark.com>

Hotel Accommodations:

		A block of rooms is being held at the Alexis Park Resort
Hotel.  The Alexis Park Resort Hotel is an all suites hotel, about a mile
from the Las Vegas strip.  Each elegantly appointed suite has either a king
bed or two double beds, a conversation area with comfortable classic
furnishings and an executive work desk. The suites feature hair dryers,
refrigerators and dual-line telephones equipped with data ports and
voicemail.

		The rate is $79 per night plus room tax.  This rate is
available prior to and after the meeting.  The hotel is located conveniently
to UNLV (University of Nevada at Las Vegas) for those who are attending
COBOL Expo.

		Reservations should be made directly with the Hotel, either
by phone or fax. Please refer to WG4-COBOL when booking your room.  The
cutoff date for reservations is May 22.  Please do not make reservations
online, since then our group would not get credit for them.

Meals:

		Continental breakfast will be available in the meeting room
from 8:00 to 9:00 each morning.  We will also have coffee, beverages and
snacks in the meeting room.  There are a number of restaurants within
walking distance of the Hotel, and many more within a 5-minute drive.

COBOL Expo:

		COBOL Expo is sponsored by cobolreport.com and the Object-Z
foundation.  It will feature 3 days of presentations and panels on all
aspects of COBOL.  On the last day of COBOL Expo, WG4 will have a workshop
asking for people to present their vision for the future of COBOL.  I will
be issuing a call for papers in the very near future and J4 will screen
these to choose the presenters.

Attendance:

Attendees must be officially-appointed delegates of their national body.
Anyone wanting to attend should contact his national body. National bodies
are requested to send delegation lists at least one month before the meeting
to the following:

		- Matthew Deane
		SC22 secretariat
		[email-masked]

		- Don Schricker
		Convener, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 4
		[email-masked]

Transportation:

		Flights should be made into Las Vegas McCarran International
Airport (LAS).   The Hotel is approximately 2 miles north of the airport.  

		You may find a rental car useful for getting to restaurants
and shopping and to the COBOL Expo at UNLV.  If you take a taxi from the
airport, you can expect to pay about $9.

		If you are driving from the airport, take the Swenson Street
exit North.  Go approximately 1 mile (crossing Tropicana) and turn left at
Harmon, where there is a traffic light.  After 1 block, you will go through
the traffic light at Paradise.  The Alexis Park will be on your left in a
few hundred yards.

Weather:

		The temperature will be hot.  There is very little rain,
however it may be windy.

Visa Information:

		Delegates are encouraged to contact their travel agent or
the US consular office in their country to determine documentation required
to enter the US. (<http://travel.state.gov/visa;visitors.html>)

Local Attractions:

		Hoover Dam: 30 miles south of Las Vegas (an easy Sunday
drive) is the Hoover Dam.  The dam visitor center is open daily from 8:30 to
5:45., and there are tours that descend into the dam and into the generating
plants.  

		Lake Mead Recreation Area: Created by the building of Hoover
Dam, the Lake Mead Recreation Area provides swimming, boating, lake cruises,
fishing and other water sports, as well as hiking and wildlife photography.
The lake is at the intersection of three of the four American desert
ecosystems, the Mohave, the Great Basin, and the Sonoran deserts. More
information can be found at <http://www.nps.gov/lame/>. Information about
lake cruises can be found at <http://www.lakemeadcruises.com/>. 

		Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort State Historic Park
 <<...OLE_Obj...>> 
		 <http://www.lvlg.com/lasvegas/attracts/park14.jpg>
 <<...OLE_Obj...>> 
		: In 1855, the first permanent non-native settlers to the
Las Vegas valley were Mormon missionaries. They built an adobe fort which
now serves as a visitor center. These settlers lived here by farming the
area using diverted water from a nearby creek. This park is currently under
development to include more historic interpretations and re-created
features. The park is open all year. Located in Las Vegas at Las Vegas
Boulevard and Washington Avenue. For more information contact: Old Las Vegas
Mormon Fort State Historic Park, 908 Las Vegas Blvd. North, Las Vegas, NV,
89101, (702) 486-3511.

		Kyle Ranch: Once part of a large ranch, what remains of it
here is acknowledged as the oldest standing building in Las Vegas. It is
located, just off Losee Road on the northeast corner of Carey Ave and
Commerce Street in North Las Vegas. The unassuming stone and wood ranch
house and nearby white shed date back to the mid 1850's when the entire
valley was little more than a railroad stop and ranching predominated rather
than gambling. If you visit the site, please respect all nearby areas marked
"private property" and "no trespassing". No admission charge.

		Lake Havasu/London Bridge: Brought over stone by stone and
reconstructed in 1971, Lake Havasu's London Bridge forms the central focus
of a modern "Old English Village" on the shore of the lake. Dozens of gift
shops, antique shops and cafes line the shore of this man-made lake north of
Parker Dam. Boating, fishing and many other water sports are available. This
is also the well known site of numerous televised water sports tournaments.
Additional Info: Call the Lake Havasu Tourist Bureau: 1-800-242-8278.

		Red Rock Canyon
 <<...OLE_Obj...>> 
		: Just 15 miles outside of town to the west is Red Rock
Canyon. A large patch of native, brilliant red sandstone makes this unique,
natural sightseeing spot. You often see desert wildlife including burros,
wild horses and bighorn sheep wandering amidst the washes, Joshua Trees and
numerous small canyons once inhabited by ancient Indian tribes. Often used
as backdrops for magazine ads, "Red Rock" (as it's affectionately referred
to by locals) provides a number of nice picnic spots, places for rock
climbing, 4-wheel driving, hiking and spectacular views along the 8 mile
scenic loop which is readily accessible by car or bicycle. A four wheel
drive, ATV or hardy hiking shoes are recommended for some of the more
isolated dirt trails. Tours are available at the visitor's center at the
main entrance. Stop at the visitor's center BEFORE you head into the park
"loop", as once you get into the park, it's one-way traffic ONLY for 12
miles. Adm: $5/carload/day or $20/annual. (702) 363-1921.

		Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours: Too numerous to list, a
number of tours of the Grand Canyon and Lake Mead provide a stunning and
beautiful afternoon.

		Shopping: Many of the large casinos have extensive shopping
areas that include every type of merchandise one can think of.  The largest
ones, at Caesar's Palace, at the Aladdin, and at Bally's may be entered
without going through the casino areas.  There is also the Fashion Show
mall, separate from the casinos on the Strip, and two large outlet malls
within five miles of the area.

		Imperial Palace Auto Collection - 3535 S. Las Vegas Blvd,
Las Vegas - Visit over 200 antique and specialty autos as well as classic
cars. This display is constantly rotated from the hotel's immense collection
to keep the interest of repeat visitors. See Hitler's 1939 Mercedes-Benz or
John F. Kennedy's "Bubbletop Limo." The collection of Duesenbergs is second
to none. Make sure you stop by the gift shop for those souvenirs for home.
Daily 9:30am-11pm, Admission: $6.95 Adults, $3 Seniors & Children 5 -12
(LVLG note: Bring your AAA club membership card or catch the wandering
hostess at the antique car display out front of the hotel and you can get in
free), (702) 731-3311 or (702) 794-3174

		Las Vegas Natural History Museum: 900 N. Las Vegas Blvd, Las
Vegas - Features wildlife past and present including animated dinosaur
exhibits. An international wildlife room, marine life including a live
exhibit on sharks in a 300-gallon tank and a children's interactive hands-on
discovery room for young scientists, keeps the whole family happy. See the
extensive wildlife art, the flights of nature room and a collection of
hundreds of animals. Don't forget to visit the museum gift and science
store. Daily 9am-4pm, $5, 384-DINO(3466)

		Liberace Museum: 1775 E Tropicana Ave - Housing the legacy
of Liberace's estate this museum is a treasure trove of items. It includes
his personal auto and piano collection, many antiques, as well as Liberace's
famous million-dollar costumes. See his extensive jewelry assortment ,
including the world's largest rhinestone or view his period furniture.
Admission costs go to a good cause; the non-profit Liberace Foundation for
the Performing and Creative Arts. This foundation funds scholarships and
grants to aspiring musicians across the country. Mon-Sat 10am-5pm; Sun
1pm-5pm, Adm: Adults $6.95, Seniors and Students $4.95, children under 12
are free when accompanied by an adult  (702) 798-5595 or 1-800-626-2625
<http://www.flatwaremedia.com/liberace/>.

		For additional attractions one of the best sites I have
found is:
			<http://www.lvlg.com/lasvegas/attracts/index.htm>

Further Information:

		Please Contact:
		Don Schricker
		Micro Focus
		4012 Nancy Margarite Lane
		Las Vegas, NV 89130-2618
		(978) 314-6821
		[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>